Best Gen 3 intel CPU for refurbishing backup gaming machine?

Hi all,

The only bottleneck really right now in my older machine is the processor. I'm not super familiar with picking out processors, would something like a 3rd gen Xeon be good as long as it had 1155 socket? I say 3rd gen because apparently my mobo can only handle 3rd gen intel processors (my parts list in my signature). I am going to start a brand new build in a few months, so this is just a project to tide me over. 

So any thoughts on best processor I can put in my old machine?

Thanks 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

You’ll only be able to do Ivy bridge xeons if your board specifically supports them, they aren’t globally supported across all of LGA 1155

Otherwise i7 3770k or i7 3770 if you don’t intend to overclock.

make sure you do a bios update first before just dropping an Ivy bridge processor into a board for Sandy bridge, much like today even multi generation sockets need a bios update to support the newer cpus

The E3 Xeons are basically the same as their i5/i7 counterparts, with a slight clock bump and support for ECC RAM. For Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, the high core count  fun really starts with 1356 and 2011.

Cross reference the CPUs on your motherboard's compatibility list against eBay.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z77AG45/support#cpu

Honestly I don't think it's worth upgrading that PC at current prices, since you're only really buying Hyperthreading (since your i5's clock speeds are near the socket's peak and 1155 only has quad-cores anyway). If you somehow find an i7 3770k for $20, go for it. Otherwise, stick with your i5 and plan on upgrading the platform at some point.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Either just find a cheap 26/2700k or 3770k and aim for 4.8g oc or higher, oc is the only way to go with these older platforms

Aside from bang-for-the-buck and cost-effectiveness standpoints, it's not only limited to what socket the board takes, but also what the chipset supports, and, in some cases, what the manufacturer has or has not certified the machine / board for. Sometimes just because a processor matches the socket doesn't necessarily mean that particular board's BIOS will recognize or work with it.

Example. I just refurbished a Lenovo M71E workstation for use as a web and media machine. It was originally an i3-2100, on the LGA1155 socket, with a top-tier of i7-3770(K). However, specs for the M71E reveal an H61 Express chipset, only certified up to the i7-2600, which still increased performance quite a bit. A B75 supports the 3770(K), but that's not what I have. So what the board's chipset specifically supports is far more pertinent than the simple range of processors on a given socket.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

The E3 Xeons are basically the same as their i5/i7 counterparts, with a slight clock bump and support for ECC RAM. For Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, the high core count  fun really starts with 1356 and 2011.

Cross reference the CPUs on your motherboard's compatibility list against eBay.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z77AG45/support#cpu

Honestly I don't think it's worth upgrading that PC at current prices, since you're only really buying Hyperthreading (since your i5's clock speeds are near the socket's peak and 1155 only has quad-cores anyway). If you somehow find an i7 3770k for $20, go for it. Otherwise, stick with your i5 and plan on upgrading the platform at some point.

That was really another consideration is if there would be any major advantage to an i7 3770k. It's the cooling and loud fan speeds that are annoying me with my current processor. So maybe a revamped case/cooling situation might be a better focus. Ideally I'd like to make this machine on par with like a 2017 mid tier gaming machine. 

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Either just find a cheap 26/2700k or 3770k and aim for 4.8g oc or higher, oc is the only way to go with these older platforms

The thing about my current processor is that I don't oc it at all because of the loud fan speeds so maybe that might be a good focus. Improving case/cooling situation

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Aside from bang-for-the-buck and cost-effectiveness standpoints, it's not only limited to what socket the board takes, but also what the chipset supports, and, in some cases, what the manufacturer has or has not certified the machine / board for. Sometimes just because a processor matches the socket doesn't necessarily mean that particular board's BIOS will recognize or work with it.

Example. I just refurbished a Lenovo M71E workstation for use as a web and media machine. It was originally an i3-2100, on the LGA1155 socket, with a top-tier of i7-3770(K). However, specs for the M71E reveal an H61 Express chipset, only certified up to the i7-2600, which still increased performance quite a bit. A B75 supports the 3770(K), but that's not what I have. So what the board's chipset specifically supports is far more pertinent than the simple range of processors on a given socket.

I wonder how much of a gamble it would be to put a 4th or 5th gen processor onto my board knowing it's not rated beyond 3rd gen. I wonder how often that risk fails for people

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, berderder said:

I wonder how much of a gamble it would be to put a 4th or 5th gen processor onto my board knowing it's not rated beyond 3rd gen. I wonder how often that risk fails for people

It's not just that the board isn't "rated beyond 3rd gen", the socket changed for Haswell (LGA1150). They're not cross-compatible.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

It's not just that the board isn't "rated beyond 3rd gen", the socket changed for Haswell (LGA1150). They're not cross-compatible.

Ohhhhh