Can you put a set of two case fans together - one on top of the other...?

NGamer

I know you can use two sets of fans with an AIO radiator - one set on top of the radiator, one set of the bottom, in a push-pull configuration

But can you do the "same" with just a set of two fans...?

If you are looking to fill in your large case to make it look not so bare - can you put 4 120mm fans in the front panel like normal...

And then put another set of 4 120mm fans over them...?

If you can... you would use a pull-pull configuration - because of them being in the front panel - correct?

Thanks!

This is a thing with some high perfoirmance server fans, but they tend to need counter rotation to actually be effective. Having two spinning in the same direction doesn't do much more than one.

Bit of an out there comparison, but you see the same on stacked rotor helicopters. The two sets of rotors spin in counter rotation to each other in order to provide extra lift. Having them both spinning the same way doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

This is a thing with some high perfoirmance server fans, but they tend to need counter rotation to actually be effective. Having two spinning in the same direction doesn't do much more than one.

Bit of an out there comparison, but you see the same on stacked rotor helicopters. The two sets of rotors spin in counter rotation to each other in order to provide extra lift. Having them both spinning the same way doesn't work.

With helicopters, counter-rotation also serves to cancel out the torque on the helicopter (that normally must be cancelled out by tail rotor, increasing drag with no benefit to lift) and eliminates the need for a tail rotor, improving efficiency (though some will still have a small tail rotor for steering).

You would likely need counter rotating fans to actually make a difference if you just stacked face to face.  Go push/pull if you can.

5 hours ago, NGamer said:

I know you can use two sets of fans with an AIO radiator - one set on top of the radiator, one set of the bottom, in a push-pull configuration

But can you do the "same" with just a set of two fans...?

If you are looking to fill in your large case to make it look not so bare - can you put 4 120mm fans in the front panel like normal...

And then put another set of 4 120mm fans over them...?

If you can... you would use a pull-pull configuration - because of them being in the front panel - correct?

Thanks!

you can use shrouds thow there not worth the moeny for get witch they go for i think push?

20170918_211056.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

29 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

you can use shrouds thow there not worth the moeny for get witch they go for i think push?

Hmm, this is interesting... I wonder how much truth there is to it...

https://modmymods.com/phobya-shroud-decoupling-120mm-7mm-thickness-38177.html

Cooling performance: 
This shroud improves the cooing performance of your fan/radiator combination. Mounted between fan and radiator this shroud allows more even distribution of Airflow which allows a more efficient utilization of the radiator's fin surface. If mounted directly onto radiator a deadspot between the fan motor is developed which reduces the performance. Even multiple of the shrouds can be stacked with longer screws to further increase efficiency and performance. The used material ensures a better seal between fan and radiator which also helps to direct all of the Airflow through the cooling fins.

Noise: 
The material, hard rubber with a thickness of 7mm, decouples the fan from the radiator. This mounting method is a must especially with fast fans as the emitted vibrations might otherwise cause the whole case to vibrate noisily.

9 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Hmm, this is interesting... I wonder how much truth there is to it...

https://modmymods.com/phobya-shroud-decoupling-120mm-7mm-thickness-38177.html

Cooling performance: 
This shroud improves the cooing performance of your fan/radiator combination. Mounted between fan and radiator this shroud allows more even distribution of Airflow which allows a more efficient utilization of the radiator's fin surface. If mounted directly onto radiator a deadspot between the fan motor is developed which reduces the performance. Even multiple of the shrouds can be stacked with longer screws to further increase efficiency and performance. The used material ensures a better seal between fan and radiator which also helps to direct all of the Airflow through the cooling fins.

Noise: 
The material, hard rubber with a thickness of 7mm, decouples the fan from the radiator. This mounting method is a must especially with fast fans as the emitted vibrations might otherwise cause the whole case to vibrate noisily.

the cost is not worth it if there any preformace to be had... back then we didn't no alot and alot could have been just marketing. thow having the fan away for the rad could lower nose thow...

if you just want if for looks and dont care about cost then go for it.

i already had them laying arond so i was like well why not. i got them back in the day when we use 5mm leds and thows fans alowd to attach 5mm leds in them and i payed like $2 each off ebay. that's the mane reason i got them.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links