Slow/slugging performance in Discord videofiles and Windows Email app

Unsure what subforum this belongs in as it might be Windows/desktop-related or it could be the apps themselves.

I am not sure if these two issues are related, but they seem similiar to me and appeared roughly around the same time period (2-3 months back maybe).

1) I frequently upload and view gameplay clips in discord, both from myself and friends which makes me think it's unrelated to file type or some obscure rendering setting. Recently when I play these files in discord it begins to stutter and play sluggish after a few seconds. Never had any issues playing videos before but now it happens for pretty much every videofile. I was thinking maybe hardware acceleration had been turned off but it is still on, and that's how far my troubleshooting skills reach on this topic. 🤥

Edit: After further testing I believe this only happens when viewed in fullscreen mode, which I always do as it is otherwise too small.

This made me think maybe Nvidia Shadowplay was playing pranks, but turning that overlay off made no difference.

Edit2: I've also noticed now that it only seem to happen on my side monitor. I have a Acer 32" Predator Z321QU for primary monitor and an older Acer XF240H 24" on the side. When I look at video files in fullscreen (otherwise they are too small to see) this happens on the side screen where I keep my Discord, but it doesn't seem to happen if I drag Discord onto my primary monitor and do the same thing there... I am completely clueless as to how that can be the case. 😮

2) I use the default Windows email app for my two hotmail email accounts. Last few months this app has become really slow. Instead of the previously smooth experience I was used to it now takes 2-3 seconds after I click on an email for it to actually load, and the same "buffering" happens when browsing between inbox/archive/bin folders aswell. Similiar to the Discord issue it feels like the program isn't using my computers resources the way it used to.

I do believe I also have a slightly longer boot time, but not to the point of that being a problem and my computer feels healthy otherwise. Any ideas? 😇

Specs:

MSI Z390-A Pro

2080 Ti FE

i7-8700k

2x8 Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz Vengeance

Bitfenix Whisper M 750W

Windows (and most desktop apps) are installed on a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2

Edited by Kaninstek

Do you have a reasonable amount of free disk space?

Have you tried reinstalling (try a full clean install - remove all Discord-related files) Discord?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 hour ago, Shiv78 said:

Do you have a reasonable amount of free disk space?

Have you tried reinstalling (try a full clean install - remove all Discord-related files) Discord?

Hi!

Yes, I have plenty of space. My root C:\ drive specifically has never had less than 300 GB free.

I have tried re-installing Discord and it seemed to have no effect.

I put an edit in the original thread as I realize the sluggishness doesn't happen if it's not in full-screen. 

For the Discord, what kind of video files we are talking about? As it has premium subscription, limiting rendering features and/or performance for free users is easy and common way to do things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

For the Discord, what kind of video files we are talking about? As it has premium subscription, limiting rendering features and/or performance for free users is easy and common way to do things.

Mostly MP4-files that are short enough to be <50 MB, which is the upload limit for my Nitro Classic tier. I mostly share these in my League of Legends related Discord server but the problem persists in direct PMs.

I've also noticed now that it only seem to happen on my side monitor. I have a Acer 32" Predator Z321QU for primary monitor and an older Acer XF240H 24" on the side. When I look at video files in fullscreen (otherwise they are too small to see) this happens on the side screen where I keep my Discord, but it doesn't seem to happen if I drag Discord onto my primary monitor and do the same thing there... I am completely clueless as to how that can be the case. 

2 hours ago, Kaninstek said:

Mostly MP4-files that are short enough to be <50 MB, which is the upload limit for my Nitro Classic tier. I mostly share these in my League of Legends related Discord server but the problem persists in direct PMs.

I've also noticed now that it only seem to happen on my side monitor. I have a Acer 32" Predator Z321QU for primary monitor and an older Acer XF240H 24" on the side. When I look at video files in fullscreen (otherwise they are too small to see) this happens on the side screen where I keep my Discord, but it doesn't seem to happen if I drag Discord onto my primary monitor and do the same thing there... I am completely clueless as to how that can be the case. 

How are the monitors connected and setup?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

How are the monitors connected and setup?

They are positioned side-by-side on my desk, both with DisplayPort into the GPU

1 hour ago, Kaninstek said:

They are positioned side-by-side on my desk, both with DisplayPort into the GPU

By "setup" I mean resolution and refresh rate. Physical positioning is irrelevant for software/hardware issues.

Since its only happening in one monitor, I would check if the cause could be cable.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

By "setup" I mean resolution and refresh rate. Physical positioning is irrelevant for software/hardware issues.

Since its only happening in one monitor, I would check if the cause could be cable.

Oh righty,

The main monitor is 1440p@165hz and the problematic monitor is 1080p@144hz.

It could be a hardware issue I suppose but it would suprise me if it only caused problems in a specific scenario in a specific program, Discord

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:16 PM, Kaninstek said:

Oh righty,

The main monitor is 1440p@165hz and the problematic monitor is 1080p@144hz.

It could be a hardware issue I suppose but it would suprise me if it only caused problems in a specific scenario in a specific program, Discord

I have 3 monitor (2x 1080p, 1 1440p 240Hz). I have same issue as urs, but my main display the 1440p one have issue video fullscreen playback stutter in discord. I have discord nitro (which have 500MB maxed upload in 1 post but only have embed streaming max 100MB per 1 vid which sucks).

As of now, i fixed the issue by ENABLING the hardware acceleration (render the app with GPU instead CPU), & it fixed my issue. But using hardware acceleration also have it's own cons, such as laggy discord browsing while in-game.

My pc spec: Ryzen 5900x + rtx 3090 Ti evga. Main monitor that have the issue is Dell Alienware GSync AW2721D.