Power cycling Netgear Router Nighthawk R7800 with WiFi Smart Plug

Joe Bauers

I would like to automatically restart my router every few days or week (recommendations?) because of the possibility of bugs that could be flushed out of the router upon restart.   There is no restart scheduling option in the R7800 settings so my solution is to schedule a WiFi smart outlet to turn the router on and off to achieve this.   

My concern is, does pulling the power suddenly instead of going through an automatic restart, and then powering it up X times per week cause damage or can possibly reduce longevity?  IIRC power spikes from turning electronic equipment on and off is what is responsible for most electronic equipment degradation, maybe this is an old myth?

8 minutes ago, Joe Bauers said:

I would like to automatically restart my router every few days or week (recommendations?) because of the possibility of bugs that could be flushed out of the router upon restart.   There is no restart scheduling option in the R7800 settings so my solution is to schedule a WiFi smart outlet to turn the router on and off to achieve this.   

My concern is, does pulling the power suddenly instead of going through an automatic restart, and then powering it up X times per week cause damage or can possibly reduce longevity?  IIRC power spikes from turning electronic equipment on and off is what is responsible for most electronic equipment degradation, maybe this is an old myth?

The router will long be obsolete by the time it's degraded to the point of affecting its usability. In my opinion, your idea is solid. 

Idea seems solid, I would consider using a much cheaper basic outlet timer since the smart outlet losing wifi when the router goes off could create some problems. It will be much more of a pain to setup, but will probably be more reliable in the long run.