How to fix color streaking

SteveKaboom
Go to solution Solved by SteveKaboom,

Thank you for your help! I was able to figure out what the problem was, so I wanted to share in case anyone else runs into this same issue. LG gaming monitors have a response time setting with Off, Normal, Fast, and Faster as your options. Looking into this, I found out that the Faster option is only recommended for response times above 120Hz. With that setting on however, anytime the response time drops too low, it causes problems like the one I was having. Once I changed the setting, it went away entirely. So just as a word of caution to anyone with an LG gaming monitor, that response time setting may cause trails or shadows. If that's the case, just turn it back to Fast.

Hello all.

Can anyone help me? I have recently been getting into pc gaming but have noticed some color streaking that I can't seem to get rid of. For example, if there is a blue object moving across my screen, I get an orange streak. Or if there is a red object, I get a green streak. I'm pretty sure my drivers are all up to date, and I've been playing with different settings but can't seem to get rid of the streaks. I'll post my full setup below. So far, I've noticed it the most on Rocket League and recently I started playing Halo:CE again and see it there as well. If anyone knows how to fix this, it would be very much appreciated.

MoBo: Asus X-470F

CPU: AMD 2700X

GPU: Asus Vega 56

RAM: GSkill Trident Z 32GB overclocked in bios with DOCP

Monitor: LG Ultragear 2k ultrawide 144 hz (can be overclocked to 160 hz but it doesn't seem as smooth when I turn that function on)

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried running any benchmarks or stress tests? If you already are sure this issue is not causes by monitor or cable, it's most likely hardware issue with GPU. Could be as simple as overheating, but also something requiring you to get new GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm not entirely sure it's not the monitor, just that there are no new firmware updates for the monitor/gpu. The monitor is only a month or two old though, and I just started pc gaming a few months ago so I don't believe there is much wear and tear on my components yet. The pc itself is only about a year old and fairly lightly used until I started gaming on it. Is this a common issue when gpu's overheat? If so, what can I do to help keep it cool, and what temp range should I be in. Usually after about an hour of gaming, my gpu is around 77C. Is that too hot? 

20 hours ago, SteveKaboom said:

I'm not entirely sure it's not the monitor, just that there are no new firmware updates for the monitor/gpu. The monitor is only a month or two old though, and I just started pc gaming a few months ago so I don't believe there is much wear and tear on my components yet.

Electronics don't wear same way as you may have used with mechanical or organic things (like cars or clothes). With electronics, the fact that they are powered on wears them. It's also possible that one or more parts have fabrication mistakes which didn't get noticed during QC at factory. This is why you can receive DOA (Dead On Arrival) items, items that die within first month, and why stuff has warranty (covers anything that is manufacturing defect.

20 hours ago, SteveKaboom said:

The pc itself is only about a year old and fairly lightly used until I started gaming on it. Is this a common issue when gpu's overheat? If so, what can I do to help keep it cool, and what temp range should I be in. Usually after about an hour of gaming, my gpu is around 77C. Is that too hot? 

77C is normal temp so this might not be related to cooling. If possible, test with another monitor and/or cable to rule those out. Also if you can, testing with another GPU would help.

Here's my previous GPU dying

Which turned out to be dying card since I couldn't detect correlation between issues and temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thank you for your help! I was able to figure out what the problem was, so I wanted to share in case anyone else runs into this same issue. LG gaming monitors have a response time setting with Off, Normal, Fast, and Faster as your options. Looking into this, I found out that the Faster option is only recommended for response times above 120Hz. With that setting on however, anytime the response time drops too low, it causes problems like the one I was having. Once I changed the setting, it went away entirely. So just as a word of caution to anyone with an LG gaming monitor, that response time setting may cause trails or shadows. If that's the case, just turn it back to Fast.

13 hours ago, SteveKaboom said:

Sounds ike another pointless setting that has more marketing fluff than actual benefits attached.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv