Looking for help with a motherboard

Budget (including currency): $2000USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ark: Survival Evolved, Arma 3, CAD, programming, other engineering software

Other details: Current part list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FyZprD

Hey everyone! I am currently saving up to build a new PC so I can give my old one to my brother. This will be my third build, and hopefully the last for a long while (if I can curb my PC addiction, that is). I'm looking for advice from knowledgeable builders, especially concerning my choice of motherboard: I feel like my current choice is overkill, but I honestly have no idea which to choose. I'll be building within the next few months. Please roast my PC, I want to spend my money as optimally as possible. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, rchristopherc said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ark: Survival Evolved, Arma 3, CAD, programming, other engineering software

Hey everyone! I am currently saving up to build a new PC so I can give my old one to my brother. This will be my third build, and hopefully the last for a long while (if I can curb my PC addiction, that is). I'm looking for advice from knowledgeable builders, especially concerning my choice of motherboard: I feel like my current choice is overkill, but I honestly have no idea which to choose. I'll be building within the next few months. Please roast my PC, I want to spend my money as optimally as possible. Thank you!

I'm no expert, but going with a WD SSD will be cheaper then a samsung one.

Hello.

4 minutes ago, TechnoNOOBcin said:

I'm no expert, but going with a WD SSD will be cheaper then a samsung one.

Well, it helps to link a WD SSD that's cheaper 🙂

I'm in the same boat roughly and folks had some good suggestions I am sure they'll make here toe.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 minutes ago, rchristopherc said:

For the mobo, I changed it to the gigabyte Z690 gaming x DDR4 because its $50 cheaper, but if you need the pcie x1, go with the msi I guess, also if you really need wifi, get a wifi card such as the tp link or any card would be fine

Hello.

7 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Well, it helps to link a WD SSD that's cheaper 🙂

I'm in the same boat roughly and folks had some good suggestions I am sure they'll make here toe.

15 minutes ago, rchristopherc said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GLnzk9 Edited version of your list

Hello.

There are three routes that I see for this system:

1. If you want to overclock and get a 12700K, the Tomahawk is a good board and everything, but it is a little overkill. The Z690-A Pro is basically the same board with less RGB, less M.2 heatsinks, and worse on board audio for $60 less. 
  2. If you don't care about overclocking at all, a 12700F plus a half decent motherboard like the B660M Bazooka, B660-A Pro, or B660 Gaming X, plus maybe the Z690 UD if the pricing for it is low. The 12700F performs within about 5% of the 12700K, it's not really worth the price difference if you're not gonna overclock. 
  3. If you want to overclock the CPU but don't want to overclock RAM, get a 12700F and the B660M Mortar MAX when it releases in August. That board supports BCLK overclocking on non-K CPUs, so you could get the same or better performance than the 12700K. The biggest disadvantage with this route is the non-K CPUs have locked VCCSA voltages, so memory overclocking is pretty terrible, but this is a cheap option and it will be very performant (plus overclocking a 12700F is a lot more fun than overclocking a 12700K).

3 minutes ago, rchristopherc said:

Saved that one too! Thanks for the help, that mobo seems to have the same features I need for a much better price.

Np. Ima go sleep now. Good luck on your build!

Hello.

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are three routes that I see for this system:

1. If you want to overclock and get a 12700K, the Tomahawk is a good board and everything, but it is a little overkill. The Z690-A Pro is basically the same board with less RGB, less M.2 heatsinks, and worse on board audio for $60 less. 
  2. If you don't care about overclocking at all, a 12700F plus a half decent motherboard like the B660M Bazooka, B660-A Pro, or B660 Gaming X, plus maybe the Z690 UD if the pricing for it is low. The 12700F performs within about 5% of the 12700K, it's not really worth the price difference if you're not gonna overclock. 
  3. If you want to overclock the CPU but don't want to overclock RAM, get a 12700F and the B660M Mortar MAX when it releases in August. That board supports BCLK overclocking on non-K CPUs, so you could get the same or better performance than the 12700K. The biggest disadvantage with this route is the non-K CPUs have locked VCCSA voltages, so memory overclocking is pretty terrible, but this is a cheap option and it will be very performant (plus overclocking a 12700F is a lot more fun than overclocking a 12700K).

Thanks for this. Going with route 2, added the 12700F and looking at a B660-A Pro paired with a TP-link Archer wifi card that TechnoNOOBcin suggested. 

Edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jzxw78

7 minutes ago, rchristopherc said:

Thanks for this. Going with route 2, added the 12700F and looking at a B660-A Pro paired with a TP-link Archer wifi card that TechnoNOOBcin suggested. 

Edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jzxw78

If you need WiFi, the B660 Gaming X AX is a better option, it's $10 more than the B660-A Pro but has a built in WiFi card, so it's effectively $40 cheaper. 

Also, looking at the rest of the system, it's fine and will work well but you can save a bit of money all around. 

1. The 12700F doesn't need an AIO, a dual tower air cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B is more than enough. An AIO is only really necessary if you want to overclock a 12700K.
  2. The non-K SKUs do have issues running higher memory speeds in Gear 1 (better memory latency), especially in dual rank. I would go for either 2x16 3600MHz CL18 or, if you really want all 4 DIMMs populated (I wouldn't recommend that), 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16. 
  3. The SK Hynix P31 is currently $5 more and is a lot faster a drive, as well as being super low power. I'd go for that instead. 
  4. The PSU is really expensive for an 850W, you can get a similar quality 1000W unit for that price (albeit not from Seasonic). You can save a fair bit going with an RM850 instead.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tcLGxs

Just get a 12700(f) + <130 h670/b660 (or z690 ud at 170$ if you wanna ram overclock) + 3080

Cpu overclock is dead so dont bother with that, gpu and ram oc are more worth it (but only bother with ram oc if you can hit 3800-4200 c14 gear1 or 4800+ c18/17 gear2 which ballistix ram can do at a reasonable 1.6-1.7v)

Unfortunately pcpp is broken for me atm cause stupid f ing cloudflare with its looping captcha screen

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you need WiFi, the B660 Gaming X AX is a better option, it's $10 more than the B660-A Pro but has a built in WiFi card, so it's effectively $40 cheaper. 

Also, looking at the rest of the system, it's fine and will work well but you can save a bit of money all around. 

1. The 12700F doesn't need an AIO, a dual tower air cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B is more than enough. An AIO is only really necessary if you want to overclock a 12700K.
  2. The non-K SKUs do have issues running higher memory speeds in Gear 1 (better memory latency), especially in dual rank. I would go for either 2x16 3600MHz CL18 or, if you really want all 4 DIMMs populated (I wouldn't recommend that), 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16. 
  3. The SK Hynix P31 is currently $5 more and is a lot faster a drive, as well as being super low power. I'd go for that instead. 
  4. The PSU is really expensive for an 850W, you can get a similar quality 1000W unit for that price (albeit not from Seasonic). You can save a fair bit going with an RM850 instead.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tcLGxs

Thanks for that part list, saved it and that is what I will most likely be going with. Thank you everyone!

54 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

130 h670/b660 (or z690 ud at 170$ if you wanna ram overclock)

H670 and B660 boards overclock RAM just as well as Z690 boards, and the non-K SKUs really suck at RAM overclocking anyway (3733MHz is next to impossible in Gear 1). 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

H670 and B660 boards overclock RAM just as well as Z690 boards, and the non-K SKUs really suck at RAM overclocking anyway (3733MHz is next to impossible in Gear 1). 

I think z690 unlocks vccsa on non k cpus

32 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think z690 unlocks vccsa on non k cpus

Nope, it's locked by the CPU itself. Unless there's some weird board or microcode that managed to bypass it, there's no way to change it on the locked SKUs outside of some engineering sample chips.