Building my first gaming pc, please save me from wasting my money

Falbium

Budget (including currency): ~2000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Games: Right now Baldurs Gate 3, Final Fantasy XIV, WoW

I have a PS5 that I mainly use for gaming, I'll probably use the pc for MMOs, Gamepass and Steam sales

I also want to try streaming and video editing  

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bCGZFg

Hey, I want to build my first gaming pc but I'm not sure which parts to pick.

The only thing I already have is a 3070 FE that I bought a few weeks ago.

It would be great if a Monitor, preferably 1440p 144hz, could be included in the budget.

To be honest I mainly just used the most popular parts on pcpartpicker.

I have no idea what kind of motherboard I should use, so I just picked something that didn't look too expensive.

I wasn't sure if I should go with an AIO or an air cooler but it seems like the NH-D15 is the best option.

Do I need additional case fans or are the ones included already enough?

I would also love some recommendations for your favorite and not too expensive mouse, keyboard, headphones and mic (doesn't need to be included in the budget).

I want to start buying the parts next week when I have some time off work and I hope to get at least one good sale on prime day.

Thanks in advance to all of you!

I like most of the build.

I would lean towards a Z690 motherboard if possible.

I am also a fan of compact builds. 
So ITX or even compact ATX midtower is my preference, possibly something you would consider?

I love the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact, it has no wasted space, great air flow and I've got two 240 AIO radiators in mine along with a large EVGA 3080 FTW3 GPU, it's all close clearances but fits great and keeps my temps down.

For Monitor: AOC CQ27G2 is a 1440p, 144hz, gsync/freesync, VA panel, curved monitor that is a fantastic price, I love the contrast, though if you use the PC in a Very Bright area it may be lacking in peak brightness. but if you don't need a very bright monitor for working in direct sunlight, I can highly recommend this one.

The NH-D15 overhangs the memory area. RGB memory module lighting will be obscured by the cooler.

Don't be fooled by the low base clock. Performance is quite close to the i7-12700K given good cooling and power limits.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€338.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€108.89 @ Galaxus) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€169.81 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€59.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€107.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For €549.00) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (€109.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€119.20 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  (€339.81 @ Computeruniverse) 
Total: €1903.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-05 02:01 CEST+0200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 hours ago, brob said:

The NH-D15 overhangs the memory area. RGB memory module lighting will be obscured by the cooler.

Thanks that's good to know.

Is there anything that I could replace with an RGB counterpart in the list? My apartment is decked out with hue lights so I would also like some RGB in my PC but it's not really necessary. 

10 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

I would lean towards a Z690 motherboard if possible.

I am also a fan of compact builds. 
So ITX or even compact ATX midtower is my preference, possibly something you would consider?

Could you explain to me why a Z690 motherboard is better?

Not really that much of a fan of compact builds.

9 hours ago, person123456789 said:

How much budget dedicated to keyboard?

Around 150€ but it's not a priority  so I'll try to wait for a good sale.

Thanks for the monitor recommendations I'll have to check them out later.

1 hour ago, Falbium said:

Is there anything that I could replace with an RGB counterpart in the list? My apartment is decked out with hue lights so I would also like some RGB in my PC but it's not really necessary. 

You could change the case to the Bequiet 500DX. It has good airflow and built-in A-RGB lighting. Price is usually very close to the 4000D.

2 hours ago, Falbium said:

it gives you the ability to OC CPUs, has more SATA ports(depends on the mobo but there will usually be more SATA ports on z690), more chipset PCIe lanes, generally has more expansion options, and most z690 boards have a more robust power delivery

every thing in comparison to b660

14 hours ago, Falbium said:

Thanks that's good to know.

Not really that much of a fan of compact builds.

Around 150€ but it's not a priority  so I'll try to wait for a good sale.

Thanks for the monitor recommendations I'll have to check them out later.

For the keyboard, I would get a gas67 with some budget switches like gateron ks3s, gateron milky top yellows, akko switches, durock t1s, ktt sea salt lemons or any other budget switch and some cheap keycaps. Also remember to get lube and maybe switch films. If you decide to get akko or ktt switches, remember to buy a kailh switch opener if you are planning to lube them. You can open the other switches with regular mx switch openers.

1 minute ago, person123456789 said:

also you can get a 12900kf for like 10 dollars more than the 12700k

i realised thats its probably a bug on pcpartpicker

Just now, person123456789 said:

i realised thats its probably a bug on pcpartpicker

but you can still fit a 12900kf in your budget

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€414.00 @ Mindfactory) 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (€108.89 @ Galaxus) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€208.00 @ Mindfactory) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€62.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€109.99 @ ARLT) 

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For €549.00) 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€107.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€119.20 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (€0.00) 

Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (€328.68 @ Computeruniverse) 

Total: €2007.66

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-06 03:31 CEST+0200

So I went over the list and probably stay with the i7-12700K because someone I know works at an electronics store and could get it cheaper for me and it's hard to learn about oc if you can't do it with your CPU. The Asus Monitor is also on sale there so I could get it for 280€.

I also just picked a nice looking motherboard again, it had a lot of good reviews on a German site.

1 hour ago, person123456789 said:

For the keyboard, I would get a gas67 with some budget switches like gateron ks3s, gateron milky top yellows, akko switches, durock t1s, ktt sea salt lemons or any other budget switch and some cheap keycaps. Also remember to get lube and maybe switch films. If you decide to get akko or ktt switches, remember to buy a kailh switch opener if you are planning to lube them. You can open the other switches with regular mx switch openers.

This looks really interesting but also like a lot of work. I'll definitely check it out but like I said a keyboard, mouse and all the other stuff isn't really included in my main budget and not that important right now so maybe I'll settle for a normal keyboard.

Can someone  explain to me how to properly copy and paste from pcpartpicker? I tried it three times and I can't really figure it out.

Turns out I'm kinda dumb.

trust me its not that hard

the hardest part is just saving up the money to buy the keyboard parts and waiting for them to ship

10 minutes ago, Falbium said:

Can someone  explain to me how to properly copy and paste from pcpartpicker? I tried it three times and I can't really figure it out.

Turns out I'm kinda dumb.

In the pcpartpicker PC Builder page tap / click the BB button on the Markup line. In the window that pops up, make sure that the Your Preferred Merchant List and BB radio buttons are selected.

Screenshot_20220705-211136_Chrome.jpg.bfceebc6c3030b53bd726f21b3e1f99f.jpg

Make sure the list is fully selected (by default it is), long tap+copy / ctrl-c / right click copy to clipboard. Switch to the tab with your post. In the edit, where you want the list long tap+paste / ctrl-v / right click paste.

8 minutes ago, brob said:

In the pcpartpicker PC Builder page tap / click the BB button on the Markup line. In the window that pops up, make sure that the Your Preferred Merchant List and BB radio buttons are selected.

Screenshot_20220705-211136_Chrome.jpg.bfceebc6c3030b53bd726f21b3e1f99f.jpg

Make sure the list is fully selected (by default it is), long tap+copy / ctrl-c / right click copy to clipboard. Switch to the tab with your post. In the edit, where you want the list long tap+paste / ctrl-v / right click paste.

I did that but it didn't correctly show it here. It just looked like it copied it but didn't load the links. I'll try it it again.

Now it worked.

I probably tapped something wrong earlier or something.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, person123456789 said:

but you can still fit a 12900kf in your budget

That would be a waste of money. Also if you bought a 12900KF then you would be getting a weaker gpu. Not the way to do it.

27 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That would be a waste of money. Also if you bought a 12900KF then you would be getting a weaker gpu. Not the way to do it.

i forgot he also included the monitor in his budget. Without the monitor, you can fit a 12900kf in the build without surpassing 2000 euro

56 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

i forgot he also included the monitor in his budget. Without the monitor, you can fit a 12900kf in the build without surpassing 2000 euro

Even without a monitor it is a waste of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€338.90 @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  (€62.90 @ Galaxus)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€151.90 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€107.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€174.35 @ Senetic)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For €549.00)
Case: Silverstone FARA H1M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€54.89 @ Galaxus)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€96.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  (€0.00)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (€5.69 @ Alza)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (€5.69 @ Alza)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  (€328.66 @ Computeruniverse)
Total: €1876.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-06 18:42 CEST+0200

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Even without a monitor it is a waste of money.

i wouldn't consider it a waste of money. a better cpu is a better cpu

8 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

i wouldn't consider it a waste of money. a better cpu is a better cpu

Yeah because 4 extra e cores are worth 240 Euros right ?  😑