[fixed] won't start, Asus prime b550, AMD Ryzen 5 5600

Alex.Pawelczyk

Hi all, I have a system I built last night hat won't seem to start up at all. Orange lights turn on the mobo, but power button does nothing. Connected to my monitor via hdmi

Double checked F panel connection is present and it is plugged in properly. Also has gen 1 USB 3.2 plug and is plugged in properly. 

Parts list here. 

Asus prime b550 WiFi

Ryzen5 5600

Stock cooler

Silicon power gaming 2x16gb

Gigabyte 3070 OC

WD sn770 2tb

H510 flow case

EVGA supernova 750

Edit: I figured out my issue and it was an absolute bonehead mistake. I'm updating this post so hopefully somebody who made the same mistake as me might be able to help. So the AM4 slot retention system was foreign to me. 

I had dropped my CPU into the slot, and bolted my heat sink on top of it assuming for some reason, that AMD technology had rendered retention clips obsolete. I haven't put together a pc since the Intel core quad days, and was assembling the PC in low light. The retention clip on the bottom of the slot needs to be opened, CPU needs to be dropped into the slot, and then the arm comes back to securely lock it into place. 

Thanks for all the help guys. Onto the next issue in the comments, but I think I got that one figured out. 

Edited by Alex.Pawelczyk
Fixed issue

Every single power cable is plugged in?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

33 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Have you flashed the bios with a 5000 series bios?

Mobo came pre flashed plug and play for 5000 series. 

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Every single power cable is plugged in?

8 pin 12v and 24pin are connected to mobo, 8 pin and 6 pin are connected to gfx card

7 minutes ago, Alex.Pawelczyk said:

Mobo came pre flashed plug and play for 5000 series. 

8 pin 12v and 24pin are connected to mobo, 8 pin and 6 pin are connected to gfx card

It may well have, but your processor is very recent and your motherboard may not have the latest bios.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 155828.png

Have you tried turning it on without using the power button?

There's several ways to do this via Google.

Just now, JKRsega said:

It may well have, but your processor is very recent and your motherboard may not have the latest bios.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 155828.png

To be fair, it's not that recent.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

When he can get into the bios, we'll see.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Will try when I get home. Thanks. Wasn't sure if it was possible to do this. I'll look up a way when I get home tonight. 

Additionally, I've been told by a coworker that the LEDs on the mobo may indicate an issue. I had what appears to be amber lights on when I had it powered up. I'll get a closer look and Double check that I have everything connected properly when I get home. 

39 minutes ago, Alex.Pawelczyk said:

Will try when I get home. Thanks. Wasn't sure if it was possible to do this. I'll look up a way when I get home tonight. 

Additionally, I've been told by a coworker that the LEDs on the mobo may indicate an issue. I had what appears to be amber lights on when I had it powered up. I'll get a closer look and Double check that I have everything connected properly when I get home. 

Depending on the board those could just be lights for the sake of being lights. My motherboard also has orange LEDs....for some reason.

Your board is pretty basic and I don't believe it has on board error code reporting.

For $8 you can buy external an external button that just plugs into the leads on the motherboard. I'd buy one of those personally, but it all depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Depending on the board those could just be lights for the sake of being lights. My motherboard also has orange LEDs....for some reason.

Your board is pretty basic and I don't believe it has on board error code reporting.

For $8 you can buy external an external button that just plugs into the leads on the motherboard. I'd buy one of those personally, but it all depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

Know of a f panel connector diagram that shows the power sw pin locations? I'll just try to ground across them with a screwdriver.

Edit: found a diagram online. 

Screenshot_2022-07-04-13-00-35-47_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Edited by Alex.Pawelczyk
Found a diagram.

Tried jumping the pins. No dice. Took out gpu. Nothing. Tried with both sticks of ram in a2 slots, one stick, loosened my heat sink a quarter turn, nothing

So, I fixed that issue. Updated the main post. I have another issue with my display not showing up, but I'm assuming that's because I'm trying to run it from an HDMI cable off my gpu. Going to borrow a vga cable from work to give it a try tomorrow off the mobo directly.