Connect to server folders remotely without exposing IP

Hi all,

I am running a Windows 11 machine which I use as a home server. SMB works great for local machines but I want to be able to access it from everywhere so that I can backup from anywhere. Ideally I want to do this without exposing my IP address. I already have a cloudflare DNS account and domain which I use for another piece of software I want to have remote access to. Not sure if there is something like a SFTP server which use this.

I tried playing around with Filezilla Server but it's interface is really weird to me with virtual and native paths. I just want to host an SFTP server where I can select the server folders that I want and that show up when entering the SFTP details on a client (prefebly native windows of macos client). 

The server is built to be as energy efficient as possible so it would be great if it is pretty leightweight and doesn't keep the drives spinning when there are no active transfers

I want to say the overwhelming majority of SFTP software out on the market is going to rely on you setting up Port Forwarding but there isn't a real reason to be paranoid about doing so. Just make sure the server is password protected. Setup Public/Private Key Authentication if it's an option. Don't use Port 22 on the public facing side. Use something over 30,000 but under 65535.

If that's not good enough the only software that comes to mind for file transfers without Port Forwarding is TeamViewer and that's not its purpose design just a feature. There's a couple other similar softwares available. I believe one is called AnyDesk. PARSEC might possibly work but I know that's not what it was made for. Never tried AnyDesk but it and TeamViewer should allow the transfer of files remotely without Port Forwarding.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I want to say the overwhelming majority of SFTP software out on the market is going to rely on you setting up Port Forwarding but there isn't a real reason to be paranoid about doing so. Just make sure the server is password protected. Setup Public/Private Key Authentication if it's an option. Don't use Port 22 on the public facing side. Use something over 30,000 but under 65535.

If that's not good enough the only software that comes to mind for file transfers without Port Forwarding is TeamViewer and that's not its purpose design just a feature. There's a couple other similar softwares available. I believe one is called AnyDesk. PARSEC might possibly work but I know that's not what it was made for. Never tried AnyDesk but it and TeamViewer should allow the transfer of files remotely without Port Forwarding.

I don't really have a problem with port-forwarding, I just don't want my IP being the "page" for SFTP when connecting from lets say a friends machine. I already have a Cloudflare domain that I use for Emby. So instead of my IP, I enter emby.mydomain, in the Cloudflare DNS settings that will redirect to my machine with SSL and encryption. Ideally I want the same with SFTP. Just type in sftp.mydomain and it will go through cloudflare to my server. 

I've player around with filezilla a bit didn't find the option to have an external domain do it and I find the virtual and native paths a stupid way to handle folders (otherwise multiple user with their onw folders and passwords is pretty nice so might look into it)

29 minutes ago, DamirB said:

I don't really have a problem with port-forwarding, I just don't want my IP being the "page" for SFTP when connecting from lets say a friends machine. I already have a Cloudflare domain that I use for Emby. So instead of my IP, I enter emby.mydomain, in the Cloudflare DNS settings that will redirect to my machine with SSL and encryption. Ideally I want the same with SFTP. Just type in sftp.mydomain and it will go through cloudflare to my server. 

I've player around with filezilla a bit didn't find the option to have an external domain do it and I find the virtual and native paths a stupid way to handle folders (otherwise multiple user with their onw folders and passwords is pretty nice so might look into it)

Basically you want multiple domains to connect to the same IP but access different services. Does CloudFlare allow you to configure a port number?

Windows for desktop doesn't offer much in terms of SFTP server software. That's where Windows Server would normally come in. Really Linux or UNIX would make this very easy to setup as everything you need is pre-installed. Unfortunately the only software that comes to mind without resorting to Linux is FileZilla Server but you already tried that. I'm wondering if PowerShell might offer a SSH Server service that could be used here but if you need multiple accounts they'd likely be computer local accounts not just accounts for the SSH client.

6 hours ago, DamirB said:

Hi all,

I am running a Windows 11 machine which I use as a home server. SMB works great for local machines but I want to be able to access it from everywhere so that I can backup from anywhere. Ideally I want to do this without exposing my IP address. I already have a cloudflare DNS account and domain which I use for another piece of software I want to have remote access to. Not sure if there is something like a SFTP server which use this.

I tried playing around with Filezilla Server but it's interface is really weird to me with virtual and native paths. I just want to host an SFTP server where I can select the server folders that I want and that show up when entering the SFTP details on a client (prefebly native windows of macos client). 

The server is built to be as energy efficient as possible so it would be great if it is pretty leightweight and doesn't keep the drives spinning when there are no active transfers

Would you not be able to just VPN in and access the shares via SMB as if you were in your network?

This is how I have my homelab set up. If I want to get at my data from externally, I VPN into my network and then my machine effectively acts as if it was on my LAN.

But if you really want to use SFTP, sure, just port forward. There likely isn't going to be great options for Windows though as stated above. VPN is likely the best bet, you can run wireguard in a docker container.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

VPN would be a much better solution than SFTP since you already have SMB configured. 

I run Wireguard, its very fast and lightweight. It has the added benefit of I can run Wireguard on my phone and connect it to home to proxy all my traffic for mobile security as well when im using hotspots. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 7/5/2022 at 6:58 AM, Jarsky said:

VPN would be a much better solution than SFTP since you already have SMB configured. 

I run Wireguard, its very fast and lightweight. It has the added benefit of I can run Wireguard on my phone and connect it to home to proxy all my traffic for mobile security as well when im using hotspots. 

@LIGISTXI have seriously considered this but the problem is that you would always need to be connected. I also want some family member to be able to automatically backup their stuff and that is a lot easier with sftp since you don't have to interact with it at all.

17 minutes ago, DamirB said:

@LIGISTXI have seriously considered this but the problem is that you would always need to be connected. I also want some family member to be able to automatically backup their stuff and that is a lot easier with sftp since you don't have to interact with it at all.

Theoretically, if you set it up for them once at the start, WireGuard VPN will be much easier. You can mount the drive as a network share just like a normal SMB share, and you can set up split tunneling so all standard internet bound traffic goes out the WAN like normal, but stuff destined for your NAS will go out over the VPN.  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

I think if you don't want anyone to see your routers IP at all, the only way to do that is to use some third party proxy, or set up an VPN/proxy yourself in another location/with another IP.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I think if you don't want anyone to see your routers IP at all, the only way to do that is to use some third party proxy, or set up an VPN/proxy yourself in another location/with another IP.

Or just use a DNS forwarder... duckDND, noip.com, etc etc. 

On 7/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, DamirB said:

First off, the currently available version of FileZilla server supports FTP and FTPS (FTP over TLS), but not SFTP (based on SSH). That one is going to be supported by the Enterprise Edition, which isn't going to be available for free. 

If that's fine with you, then to set it up so that it can be connected to from outside, you need to appropriately forward the ports to the network interface you want the FileZilla Server to listen on. The listeners are configurable in the proper config panel.

As for virtual and native paths, how would you do things differently?

12 hours ago, FabioA. said:

First off, the currently available version of FileZilla server supports FTP and FTPS (FTP over TLS), but not SFTP (based on SSH). That one is going to be supported by the Enterprise Edition, which isn't going to be available for free. 

If that's fine with you, then to set it up so that it can be connected to from outside, you need to appropriately forward the ports to the network interface you want the FileZilla Server to listen on. The listeners are configurable in the proper config panel.

As for virtual and native paths, how would you do things differently?

FTP over TLS would work fine for me as well. The setup to connect through the outside, is it possible to let in run through cloudflare just to not expose my IP? Otherwise it is not the end of the world as long as the encryption is strong enough. I've attached an image of how I've done it in Emby so that instead of typing homeip:embyportnumber I type emby.mydomainname which is hosted by Cloudflare. Since I already own the domain (and I like the dashboard) I would like to be able to use ftps.mydomainname.

For the virtual and native paths I understand how it is usefull for people, but for my usecase just having a explorer window pop-up where I select the folder(s) I want to share through FTPS would better.