HP DL380e G8 Raid 5 Failure issues?

Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
10 minutes ago, god_bmxes said:

So today I went to watch something on my Plex server and saw it was offline. I checked my server and one of the HDD's in my raid has a flashing orange light on the tray. Checked iLo and it says it has failed. I rebooted the server to see if it could potentially fix anything but it still says it has failed. The weird part that I am worried about is that it loaded into windows and it seems like things on that raid are working fine and I am able to play videos and load folders and such. MMy question is should I use the server while I wait on a replacement HDD or should I shut it down, also can I use just any drive as I don't know if I can find the 4TB HP drives that I am running anymore?

Server is an HP Prolient DL380e G8, Raid controller is a P420, and the raid in question is 5 HP 4TB drives with the original trays. 

It's working as intended. That's the whole point of raid 5, it stays up even with a failed drive. 

I would power it down until you get a replacement. If all of the drives are from the same batch/roughly the same age, you could possibly have a second fail while you are waiting for the replacement. 

So today I went to watch something on my Plex server and saw it was offline. I checked my server and one of the HDD's in my raid has a flashing orange light on the tray. Checked iLo and it says it has failed. I rebooted the server to see if it could potentially fix anything but it still says it has failed. The weird part that I am worried about is that it loaded into windows and it seems like things on that raid are working fine and I am able to play videos and load folders and such. MMy question is should I use the server while I wait on a replacement HDD or should I shut it down, also can I use just any drive as I don't know if I can find the 4TB HP drives that I am running anymore?

Server is an HP Prolient DL380e G8, Raid controller is a P420, and the raid in question is 5 HP 4TB drives with the original trays. 

Gaming Rig: 1st gen i7 to 8th gen i7 (Build Log)

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

10 minutes ago, god_bmxes said:

It's working as intended. That's the whole point of raid 5, it stays up even with a failed drive. 

I would power it down until you get a replacement. If all of the drives are from the same batch/roughly the same age, you could possibly have a second fail while you are waiting for the replacement. 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Thank you that is what I was wanting to know, do you think I could get a newer 4TB HDD or should I try and find one of the same HDDs? All the newer ones that are NAS style drives are 5400RPM and the older HP is 7200

Gaming Rig: 1st gen i7 to 8th gen i7 (Build Log)

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

7 minutes ago, god_bmxes said:

Thank you that is what I was wanting to know, do you think I could get a newer 4TB HDD or should I try and find one of the same HDDs? All the newer ones that are NAS style drives are 5400RPM and the older HP is 7200

Seagate Ironwolf Pro are 7200, WD also have 7200 options too.