Do I need to upgrade my PSU for the rtx3080?

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't expect it to work. You can give it a shot if you want to see, then if you have a shut down event replace it, but IMO if you can afford a 3080, you can afford a new, better PSU

Is that with any of the 30 series? Just found a good deal on 3080 thats all, But don't want to buy anything other than GPU. Recommendations?

Agreed. A 750 might do the job, but I'd run 850 just to cover transients. GamersNexus did a great video on this.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, Laurenco said:

Is that with any of the 30 series? Just found a good deal on 3080 thats all, But don't want to buy anything other than GPU. Recommendations?

The transient loading is more of a major concern on the top end cards like the 3080 and up. On something like a 3060 Ti or 3070 it's a lot less and while that PSU is definitely weaker for those cards, it can still likely handle it. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The transient loading is more of a major concern on the top end cards like the 3080 and up. On something like a 3060 Ti or 3070 it's a lot less and while that PSU is definitely weaker for those cards, it can still likely handle it. 

Even so, wattage is a lot like medicine. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

So 3060ti or 3050 would be fine? for example  the Titan runs  99% usage takes 200w. and nvidia says 3060ti uses around 200w aswell. very weird how a 2013 GPU uses same as 30series.

7 minutes ago, Laurenco said:

So 3060ti or 3050 would be fine? for example  the Titan runs  99% usage takes 200w. and nvidia says 3060ti uses around 200w aswell. very weird how a 2013 GPU uses same as 30series.

3060 or 3060 Ti should be fine. I wouldn't touch a 3050, it's not that huge an upgrade from the GTX Titan you currently have and there are much better value cards from AMD in that price range. Unless you need the VRAM, the lowest end Nvidia card that can be justified is the 3060 TI IMO. 

Also Nvidia says a lot of things about power draw, most of those numbers are fairly meaningless. They say a 3080 is supposed to consume 320W, in reality it's closer to 400W average in game (at least on my card it was) with transient spikes of 800+W. I'd expect a 3060 to be closer to around the 200W mark than something like a 3080 is to it's rated TDP, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 250W reported power consumption. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

3060 or 3060 Ti should be fine. I wouldn't touch a 3050, it's not that huge an upgrade from the GTX Titan you currently have and there are much better value cards from AMD in that price range. Unless you need the VRAM, the lowest end Nvidia card that can be justified is the 3060 TI IMO. 

Also Nvidia says a lot of things about power draw, most of those numbers are fairly meaningless. They say a 3080 is supposed to consume 320W, in reality it's closer to 400W average in game (at least on my card it was) with transient spikes of 800+W. I'd expect a 3060 to be closer to around the 200W mark than something like a 3080 is to it's rated TDP, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 250W reported power consumption. 

Thanks, Will be looking for 3060ti. as yes I want to play titles that use a lot of vram. I thought 3050 would be very much a big upgrade from the titan as I can't really run triple A games on the Titan but the 3050 is capable.