good 2tb sata ssd

rippy4500

im looking for a 2tb sata ssd because my 2tb hard drive is broken(dont worry theres nothing super important on it), and i need a replacement drive for games and stuff.

i dont care too much about price, it just needs to last a long time and have decent performance.

i would go for nvme but my mobo only has 1 m.2 slot and my boot drive is using it, i cant put too many games on my 500g drive so i really need this now.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

2 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

im looking for a 2tb sata ssd because my 2tb hard drive is broken(dont worry theres nothing super important on it), and i need a replacement drive for games and stuff.

i dont care too much about price, it just needs to last a long time and have decent performance.

i would go for nvme but my mobo only has 1 m.2 slot and my boot drive is using it, i cant put too many games on my 500g drive so i really need this now.

I've bought more of these (not all 2TB capacity though) than I have fingers and toes for various builds. Are they the fastest on the market? Maybe not. Are they reliable? You bet your butt. Samsung SATA SSDs are another good option if they happen to be cheaper in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-NAND-SATA-Internal/dp/B003J5JB12

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Where you shopping for them? There are some good ones like the MX500, Samsung 800 series Evo and Pro drives, SK Hynix S31, but knowing where you're shopping would help with getting a good drive for a good price?

Also, have you thought about just getting another HDD instead? For the price of a 2TB SSD you can get 2 6TB HDDs instead and run them in RAID 1. Game loading times are realistically not that different between the two (depends on the game, some I've seen really do want to be on an SSD like Rust, but in my experience it's 2-3 seconds at most in all the games I actually play), you can have a lot more of them, and if one fails you still have a working drive with all your data still in tact. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Where you shopping for them? There are some good ones like the MX500, Samsung 800 series Evo and Pro drives, SK Hynix S31, but knowing where you're shopping would help with getting a good drive for a good price?

Also, have you thought about just getting another HDD instead? For the price of a 2TB SSD you can get 2 6TB HDDs instead and run them in RAID 1. Game loading times are realistically not that different between the two (depends on the game, some I've seen really do want to be on an SSD like Rust, but in my experience it's 2-3 seconds at most in all the games I actually play), you can have a lot more of them, and if one fails you still have a working drive with all your data still in tact. 

I dont want a raid setup and i have no need for any more than 2tb, and the ssd is silent which i would like.

im using pcpartpicker for pricing. i think ive decided on getting the mx500 that i was recommended, ill just get it from wherever is cheapest. for the 2tb model its cheapest on amazon right now.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

I wouldn't buy a 2.5" nowadays.

I'd swap that 500 for a 2TB NVMe

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, rippy4500 said:

I dont want a raid setup and i have no need for any more than 2tb, and the ssd is silent which i would like.

im using pcpartpicker for pricing. i think ive decided on getting the mx500 that i was recommended, ill just get it from wherever is cheapest. for the 2tb model its cheapest on amazon right now.

If going down the SATA SSD Route I'd also recommend the Crucial MX500

I'd actually say go the nvme route. Buy a cheap PCIe adapter

https://www.amazon.com/JEYI-Adapter-Interface-Express-2230-2280/dp/B07PXWGZ56

As far as SSDs go...
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=SSD+2TB&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

My usual heuristic is to look at a few options on slickdeals and to then cross reference with an SSD tier list. I usually aim for C or higher on the NVME side or B and higher on the SATA side.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800