Building a computer for the first time

bstolz

Budget (including currency): $2,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Work - will not be gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Should I add, remove, or replace any parts?

Current Parts List

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xshL4s

I have a transferrable copy of Windows 10 Pro

I'd save money by going 12700 and b660. Don't get a lot of performance gain from oc and I'm pretty sure oc wouldn't even make sense if you just plan to work imo

Even so It depends on what your "work is". Just writing and reviewing? You probably won't need a gpu. Rendering and compiling footage? I'd go for a discrete gpu to improve qol

I'd also go ddr4 since it'd be cheaper and there's not a lot of perfromance gain with it.

Having a dedicated gpu has many benefits, like multiple screens, faster rendering times, any games if you ever play them, etc.

Having a 750 watt psu is just to make up for the added parts

The storage change is better in the fact that you use the 1tb ssd for all your applications and os, a 512gb ssd should also do just fine. The 2 hdds are for all your data and project files, you have two of them set up in raid incase of a drive failure you don't lose your data.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WR43H2

8 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I'd save money by going 12700 and b660. Don't get a lot of performance gain from oc and I'm pretty sure oc wouldn't even make sense if you just plan to work imo

Even so It depends on what your "work is". Just writing and reviewing? You probably won't need a gpu. Rendering and compiling footage? I'd go for a discrete gpu to improve qol

I'd also go ddr4 since it'd be cheaper and there's not a lot of perfromance gain with it.

Most of my day is spent using Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office, Project Management Software (Jira), VSCode, and Discord

6 minutes ago, bstolz said:

Most of my day is spent using Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office, Project Management Software (Jira), VSCode, and Discord

Also regularly recompiling stuff

18 minutes ago, 4ce_Games said:

Having a dedicated gpu has many benefits, like multiple screens, faster rendering times, any games if you ever play them, etc.

Having a 750 watt psu is just to make up for the added parts

The storage change is better in the fact that you use the 1tb ssd for all your applications and os, a 512gb ssd should also do just fine. The 2 hdds are for all your data and project files, you have two of them set up in raid incase of a drive failure you don't lose your data.

Did you mean to include a link to a suggested build?

4 minutes ago, firelizzard said:

Did you mean to include a link to a suggested build?

yup i just fixed that

For reference, I'm @bstolz's coworker

37 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

What B660 board are you recommending? I'm suggesting @bstolz sticks with an ATX board, because those tend to have lots of M.2 slots and PCIe ports, which provides a lot of room for expansion. And the ATX B660 boards I'm seeing on PC part picker aren't cheaper than the one in the initial parts list, so the only difference would be a $40 savings on the CPU.

22 minutes ago, firelizzard said:

What B660 board are you recommending? I'm suggesting @bstolz sticks with an ATX board, because those tend to have lots of M.2 slots and PCIe ports, which provides a lot of room for expansion. And the ATX B660 boards I'm seeing on PC part picker aren't cheaper than the one in the initial parts list

I'm recommending a b660 less for the lack of features and more for the unnecessary chipset. I wasnt contesting the size of the mobo, an atx board would make sense for most work scenarios. What would you need pcie slots for? The 16x wouldn't be needed because  as you said a gpu isn't needed. From the information that's here, I'd assume they'd be utilized for m.2 expansion cards or a sound card/ equivalent. I can assure you there are cheaper b660 atx boards then 220$. Such as this one 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YZPQzy/gigabyte-b660-gaming-x-ax-ddr4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-b660-gaming-x-ax-ddr4

With the same amount of 16x slots as the one chosen or this one 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FsfnTW/msi-pro-b660-a-ddr4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-b660-a-ddr4

With 2 16x slots and 3 1x slots, and most notably the msi mag b660 tomahawk if wifi is needed.

1 hour ago, Ryuikko said:

I'm recommending a b660 less for the lack of features and more for the unnecessary chipset. I wasnt contesting the size of the mobo, an atx board would make sense for most work scenarios. What would you need pcie slots for? The 16x wouldn't be needed because  as you said a gpu isn't needed. From the information that's here, I'd assume they'd be utilized for m.2 expansion cards or a sound card/ equivalent. I can assure you there are cheaper b660 atx boards then 220$. Such as this one 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YZPQzy/gigabyte-b660-gaming-x-ax-ddr4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-b660-gaming-x-ax-ddr4

With the same amount of 16x slots as the one chosen or this one 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FsfnTW/msi-pro-b660-a-ddr4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-b660-a-ddr4

With 2 16x slots and 3 1x slots, and most notably the msi mag b660 tomahawk if wifi is needed.

To clarify we work from home and it's BYOD so it will also be a personal PC, but the primary use will be work. I'm recommending something with a 16x slot in case he wants to get a GPU later on to run more or higher resolution monitors than the integrated graphics would support. He has expressed zero interest in gaming, so that's pretty much the only thing he'd ever use a GPU for I think.

I think the compatibility filter or something was cutting down on what I was seeing. I found some cheaper ATX boards when I looked again later.