Is my psu wrong? Or my motherboard? Or me?

AdamL0725

So I bought a new corsair rm1000x psu for my pc today. And none of the cpu cables match the header on the board. Will it work regardless? Do I need a new cord? I'm confuzzled

20220701_231042.jpg

20220701_230840.jpg

How many cables have you tried? The pattern on that cable doesn't seem to match anything.. how did you plug it into the PSU? Have you?

For some etiquette, crop your photos to something more friendly next time. They are unnecessarily tall.

Maybe review the quality of your photo too because that is a borderline unhelpful photo of the cable end.

rm1000x.png

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

24 minutes ago, AdamL0725 said:

And none of the cpu cables match the header on the board.

If it fits, it works. Does it fit? (The only correct answer is yes)

6 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

How many cables have you tried? The pattern on that cable doesn't seem to match anything.. how did you plug it into the PSU? Have you?

For some etiquette, crop your photos to something more friendly next time. They are unnecessarily tall.

Maybe review the quality of your photo too because that is a borderline unhelpful photo of the cable end.

rm1000x.png

I tried all of the psu cables that said cpu at the end. All of them are the same. And the pictures were originally taken for another app. Technically it plugs in, but I know psu cables can be strict and I don't want to risk frying anything 

15 minutes ago, AdamL0725 said:

I tried all of the psu cables that said cpu at the end. All of them are the same. And the pictures were originally taken for another app. Technically it plugs in, but I know psu cables can be strict and I don't want to risk frying anything 

The strictness is about :
Using CPU & PCIe cable interchangeably,
2. Using other vendor's modular cable.
3. Using a low quality adapter / extension.

Here's my Corsair HX CPU cable, and my MSI B550m Mortar CPU port :
20220702_184323.jpg.3790cb51faa9712428d20c0f3d9ea6b4.jpg

30111710573l.JPG

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

12 hours ago, AdamL0725 said:

So I bought a new corsair rm1000x psu for my pc today. And none of the cpu cables match the header on the board. Will it work regardless? Do I need a new cord? I'm confuzzled

20220701_231042.jpg

20220701_230840.jpg

It's you.  Plug it in.  Seems like you didn't even try to plug it in yet.

The cable says "CPU".  The port on the motherboard is for CPU power.  Plug it in.

You're worried about the one "D" shaped terminal going into a square hole.  Guess what?  They do that.  If they wanted to keep you from plugging it in, they'd make the terminal on the cable a square and the hole a "D".

It looks like you have one of the 8-pin plug that can be split into two to also fit a 4-pin socket on the motherboard. So most PSU manufacturer make it so that you can only plug them in as 8-pin in one configuration but both sides can be used as a 4-pin individually. 

The connector is made so that if your PSU only have a 4-pin CPU power cable that you plug it into the correct part of the 8-pin socket on the motherboard.