Which is better for gaming? X5687 vs x5675?

Im currently using the x5650(6 cores 2.6 ghz), wanted to upgrade and find 2 of these cpus

The x5687 4 cores 8 threads 3.6 ghz

And the x5675 6 cores 12 threads 3.1 ghz

Both are relatively the same price

Which one should i pick more cores or more clock speed?

Im going to use it mostly for gaming.

Btw im going to pair it with a rx 580 8gb

And im not going to oc any cpu since im using a chinese x58 board.

X5675 is your best bet imo.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

The good thing about LGA 1366 Xeons is that they're overclockable, so the 6 core chip can do 4GHz easy

That said, there's likely a better pick for a CPU. X58 is fun to overclock, but the boards cost too much to make any sense and the CPUs themselves are very slow by modern standards. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The good thing about LGA 1366 Xeons is that they're overclockable, so the 6 core chip can do 4GHz easy

That said, there's likely a better pick for a CPU. X58 is fun to overclock, but the boards cost too much to make any sense and the CPUs themselves are very slow by modern standards. 

The problem is im using a chinese x58 mobo, these boards are bad at oc, so im not going to oc.

Is this a cheap x58 china board + cpu or are you buying used boards locally?

X58 is just terrible value, my garbage p6t is basically worthless and wont even sell at 37$, you are better off getting a used b450/x470 <60$ + a cheap ryzen like the 1600(af)/2600

X5675 > x5687 cause more cores and newer titles like more cores but x58 also lacks newer instructions including total lack of avx so some games are straight up unplayable

Sorry but x58 is just an enthusiasts oc platform on the cheap, power draw is stupid, prices are still really high, and just dont make sense overall, used ryzen costs the same while drawing less power and still being equivalent to x58 even if you oc your hexacore to ~4.5g. Even worse these xeons cant even run >2200 ddr3 which is a really slow ddr3 speed when literally both my generic garbage samsung rev f and decent pscs do 2200 easy and can do more

It only makes sense when boards are sub 40$, cpus sub 15$, and rams sub 40$ (4x4 ddr3) if its an ultrabudget gaming system

Just now, Giant_Hunger said:

The problem is im using a chinese x58 mobo, these boards are bad at oc, so im not going to oc.

Those boards can still do 4GHz. Still, looking at the pricing of those chinese X58 boards they don't make sense. 

2 minutes ago, Giant_Hunger said:

crying-emoji-dies.gif.a70c1220517cae6f53ea0b9b349e5816.gif

Yea do not even think about x58 if you dont oc, it is complete garbage without oc and still meh even with proper oc (2200 ddr3 + 4.6g 6 core + 3700-3900uclk)

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Those boards can still do 4GHz. Still, looking at the pricing of those chinese X58 boards they don't make sense. 

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

crying-emoji-dies.gif.a70c1220517cae6f53ea0b9b349e5816.gif

Yea do not even think about x58 if you dont oc, it is complete garbage without oc and still meh even with proper oc (2200 ddr3 + 4.6g 6 core + 3700-3900uclk)

So how do you oc on these x58 motherboard and btw my motherboard looks like this:

X58-Bo-M-ch-Ch-LGA1366-H-Tr-DDR3-ECC-M-y

is it safe to oc it?

7 minutes ago, Giant_Hunger said:

So how do you oc on these x58 motherboard and btw my motherboard looks like this:

X58-Bo-M-ch-Ch-LGA1366-H-Tr-DDR3-ECC-M-y

is it safe to oc it?

How much are you spending on that board? They don't pull a crap load of power when only running at 4GHz (the upper limit before you need to start adjusting the PCIe clocks, which I won't expect that board to be great at), so the VRM should be alright, especially if you point a fan at it. Set the core voltage to 1.35V, adjust the BCLK so that the target frequency is 4GHz (should be something like 180MHz BCLK), and make sure the memory frequency isn't crazy high unless you wanna try overclocking DDR4. 

But all that said, unless you're getting that board for like $40 at the most, it's a terrible option. 

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

How much are you spending on that board? They don't pull a crap load of power when only running at 4GHz (the upper limit before you need to start adjusting the PCIe clocks, which I won't expect that board to be great at), so the VRM should be alright, especially if you point a fan at it. Set the core voltage to 1.35V, adjust the BCLK so that the target frequency is 4GHz (should be something like 180MHz BCLK), and make sure the memory frequency isn't crazy high unless you wanna try overclocking DDR4. 

But all that said, unless you're getting that board for like $40 at the most, it's a terrible option. 

Actually even my garbage x5660 that can only windows boot a meager 4.85g at 1.7v 2 cores (no seriously it is a garbage sample) can run 4g at 1.27v allcore p95 smallest ffts at near 95c due to garbage cooler, if this trash bin cpu can run that speed then id expect the most youd need 1.3v but on avg ~1.25v

You wanna clock bclk 200-220, higher bclk the better, ioh/nb volt at 1.26-1.3v is required for those speeds, you shouldnt even reach anywhere near 1400 even at 224 bclk so dont worry about ddr3 speed but for ddr3 oc check your ics manually by looking at the sticks (if bare pcb) or via thaiphoon burner if covered by a heatspreader

If these boards even have a way to change uclk and qpi link, set qpi link to the lowest multi (not slowmode), set uclk to 3700-3900 with vtt/qpi at 1.4-1.45v

the over 1.35v qpi/vtt degradation claim is complete garbage as i can run 1.48-1.55v for hours and hours without any degradation, same for the qpi/vtt to dram must not exceed 0.5v ∆, i have run my samsung rev f at 2.46v 8-11-10-20 for 8 hours p95 large ffts w qpi/vtt at 1.48v (∆ 0.98v) and absolutely no degradation has occured, intel spec for vcore is 1.55v (32 and 22nm) though stay under 1.4v as these cpus can be pretty hard to cool esp at high freq and also to not fry the garbage chinese board, also uclk should not exceed cpu core speed as that just doesnt work and errors a ton + bsods

Rams wise 2200 max is the average you can expect out of a xeon, pretty slow when a decent amount of ram ics are capable of reaching that speed but its first gen imc so deal with it, 2.1v max if your ram ic can handle that volt, the imc should not degrade at that volt so no worries on that considering i did run 2.46v and saw no degradation though youll prob need a fan >1.8v, xtremesystems has a ddr3 ic thread for info on ddr3 ics so you can find your ic or use a similar ic as reference incase your ic isnt listed