RAM Issues.

Right so I'm back to square one of my RAM speeds resetting after boot up, all 4 ram sticks are the exact same model and version, I'm trying to run their max speed which is 3600mhz (MOBO Asus ROG Strix b450 f gaming, CPU Ryzen 9 5900x) Any help is very much appreciated.

Does your rear IO have a CMOS Clear button, if so that could explain your settings getting reset every boot?

Also assuming the jumper pins are in the correct position.

Is it Corsair RAM by chance? Ryzens don't seem to play well with Corsair as of late.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Does your PC boot normaly (fast) after setting the RAM speeds or does it boot cycle a few times before it posts?

28 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Does your rear IO have a CMOS Clear button, if so that could explain your settings getting reset every boot?

Also assuming the jumper pins are in the correct position.

Not all my BIOS settings are getting reset though, it's just my RAM related settings.

27 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Is it Corsair RAM by chance? Ryzens don't seem to play well with Corsair as of late.

Yes its corsair RAM, I have the Vegeance RGB Pro SL's

2 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Does your PC boot normaly (fast) after setting the RAM speeds or does it boot cycle a few times before it posts?

So sometimes I can get the faster RAM speeds to stick and it will boot instantly but if they don't stick and it resets, it boot cycles

1 hour ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Yes its corsair RAM, I have the Vegeance RGB Pro SL's

@Kzoo 2Raw Hate to say it, but that could be part of your problem. Lots of people having issues with crashing, etc. pairing Corsair RAM with a Ryzen lately. Maybe it has something to do with the series / generation of Ryzen? Also, even the latest Ryzens support only up to 3200 Mhz. I was recommended Crucial Ballistix in upgrading and building both my Ryzen systems, and I've never had a problem with RAM. Others might also recommend Samsung B-die as a cost-effective solution for RAM OC.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Ryzen can be a bit ******* with RAM, you will have to try tinkering with your RAM settings manually, timings, voltage, also the SoC voltage can help.
If your not willing to do that just get different RAM.

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Hate to say it, but that could be part of your problem. Lots of people having issues with crashing, etc. pairing Corsair RAM with a Ryzen lately. Maybe it has something to do with the series / generation of Ryzen? I was recommended Crucial Ballistix in upgrading and building both my Ryzen systems, and I've never had a problem. Others might also recommend Samsung B-die as a cost-effective solution for RAM OC.

Well before I upgraded I was running this exact RAM with a Ryzen 5 3600 with no problems although I did only have 2 sticks then but since upgrading to 4 sticks and to a Ryzen 9 5900x, I have had issues

Ryzen can be a bit ******* with RAM, you will have to try tinkering with your RAM settings manually, timings, voltage, also the SoC voltage can help.
If your not willing to do that just get different RAM.

Can you recommend me a certain Voltage? as thats a scary thing to tamper with

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Also, most Ryzens support only up to 3200 Mhz.

Why? Usually there is no problem with 1600Mhz Infinity Fabric.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Well before I upgraded I was running this exact RAM with a Ryzen 5 3600 with no problems although I did only have 2 sticks then but since upgrading to 4 sticks and to a Ryzen 9 5900x, I have had issues

But you weren't OC'ing then, were you? If it was running 3200 or less before, and you're only starting to try OC'ing to 3600 with the 5900X, that's your problem. Even the 5900X only supports up to 3200, which is why I haven't OC'd my 3200 Ballistix. Here, read it for yourself...

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Can you recommend me a certain Voltage? as thats a scary thing to temper with

Hard to say, just raise it in slow steps, you ASUS mainboard will usually color the value red if you get to dangerous voltages.
Also Ryzen DRAM Calculator is still a good thing to hold on, even if it's not designed for 5000 series.

He said, he upgraded from 2 to 4 sticks, that's the problem, kits that arent specificly sold in a 4 pack for Ryzen 90% won't work.

You will have to get into manual RAM OC, if you want the most out of the system I often ran into the same problems.

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

But you weren't OC'ing then, were you? If it was running 3200 or less before, and you're only starting to try OC'ing to 3600 with the 5900X, that's your problem. Even the 5900X only supports up to 3200, which is why I haven't OC'd my 3200 Ballistix. Here, read it for yourself...

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

I was using 3600mhz with the R5 3600 but I'll try running 3200mhz as thats a good speed anyways and see how it gets on 

4 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Can you recommend me a certain Voltage? as thats a scary thing to tamper with

SOC run at 1.15V, DRAM voltage is fine at 1.35V for everything but without knowing the exact sticks this can be really weird (some don't scale past 1.35V and get worse as you add more voltage, some will scale and be safe to run at 1.6V+ given you have cooling). 

Hard to say, just raise it in slow steps, you ASUS mainboard will usually color the value red if you get to dangerous voltages.
Also Ryzen DRAM Calculator is still a good thing to hold on, even if it's not designed for 5000 series.

I wouldn't trust ASUS's coloring though, some voltages they highlight red well before it becomes dangerous, some they don't highlight until well after it's not safe for daily usage.

Also the DRAM Calculator works fine on Ryzen 5000, it's the same memory controller as Ryzen 3000 

Asus have garbage ram topology on both b550 and x570 but unsure if b450 is affected by this, the fact you are running 4 sticks doesnt help either

Check ram ics in thaiphoon burner, very likely you can just search some mild oc settings for your ic and set all timings manually (incl secondaries), ryzen dram calculator as mentioned above can also be helpful here as its just minor oc

ASUS mainboard will usually color the value red if you get to dangerous voltages

Safe voltage is dependant on ic and cooling aka it is not static one voltage for all ics, 1.5v guideline for most ics, 1.6v guaranteed safe for ics that dont degrade with voltage (rev e/b, djr, b die) as there are xmp profiles with said ics that go to 1.6v, likely to be able to push upto 1.7v though at your own risk going 1.6v+, op is most likely not gonna care about ram oc so i doubt volt will even get near 1.5v

5 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

I was using 3600mhz with the R5 3600 but I'll try running 3200mhz as thats a good speed anyways and see how it gets on 

As I see it, you have two issues here, going beyond 3200, and possible compatibility issues, as Ryzens are known to be funny about RAM, and lots of people have issues with Corsair RAM and Ryzens. My guess is a Ryzen will put up with Corsair for awhile but eventually reject it, perhaps, as crazy as that may sound. Either that or perhaps Ryzens may be burning up Corsair sticks somehow. I think to truly solve your issue, you may want to invest in Crucial Ballistix, or maybe even some Samsung B-die, as it has been recommended me by others here.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Here we go again with yet another episode of "The troubles of Corsair Vengeance and Ryzen".

For some reason Ryzen and Corsair Vengeance sticks do not care alot for each other, in fact it's the Vengeance line of sticks that really seems to be problematic with Ryzen. I can't say if other models from Corsair has this same thing going on but almost everytime it comes up (Quite alot it seems) the model is always a set of Vengeance sticks.

Seriously, most anything aside from Corsair RAM will be fine, I've ran G. Skill with everything I've got that's Ryzen based with no issues at all, namely Trident Z, Royals and Flares - ALL have been good with my Ryzen setups so far and that's across Ryzen chips from 1st gen (R3 1200) to at least my 3950X.
Crucial makes good sticks too as suggested above.

TBH the sticks you have now are probrably OK, just not with Ryzen.
If you have an Intel setup that needs a set or happen to know someone that does, those sticks should be fine for that.

However since you're trying to run 4 sticks that may be part of it too, there is a limit to how far you can take them with all 4 slots in use as well, certainly not as far as just using 2 slots.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Simple solution to this Corsair and Ryzen issue.
Don't buy Corsair Memory and select memory from ASUS's Qualified Vendors List to ensure compatibility at the speed you want.

The reason I say to avoid Corsair is because they release multiple versions against the same model number and by the time you go to purchase it will be different to the version ASUS would have tested again.

For that reason I recommend G.Skill or Crucial 🙂

1 hour ago, MrMase said:

Simple solution to this Corsair and Ryzen issue.
Don't buy Corsair Memory and select memory from ASUS's Qualified Vendors List to ensure compatibility at the speed you want.

The reason I say to avoid Corsair is because they release multiple versions against the same model number and by the time you go to purchase it will be different to the version ASUS would have tested again.

For that reason I recommend G.Skill or Crucial 🙂

G. Skill and Crucial are the best bets I'm aware of but others like Patriot, Geil, Adata, Kingston and so on are good choices too.
Just make sure it's a known brand (Not some off the wall stuff) and that it's not Corsair RAM for Ryzen.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.