Seeking Advice, higher end build.

After everyone's help, I think the only real question I have left is which RAM to get. I do not see a clear benefit of one over the other when it comes to Crucial Ballistix versus Corsair Vengence. Please let me know your opinion and reason. And seriously, thank you so much again everyone!

Last updated: 7/2 1:35AM PDT

Budget (including currency): Trying to keep it under $4000 USD with tax and shipping

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4k Gaming, future proofing as much as possible. Not a dream machine, actually going to be buying.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sirtrinium/saved/#view=WvsjnQ This is what I've landed on as of now. Will be making the jump from gaming laptop to desktop. This will be my first complete build. Wanted to get opinions on any changes that I may not be aware I should be making. 

i9-12900k - Feel like going high end, this is the only part of the build that I am 100% locked in on. 

EK EK-AIO Basic 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler- After reading additional reviews and seeing comparisons to other builds, this component is 100% locked in. Will be top mounted in the case.

MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX - Thanks again to everyone that explained the shortcomings of me trying to go DDR5 currently, definitely going DDR4.

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory or Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory - I am at a loss at which of this is actually the better choice. Both are on my pc part picker list.

Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - This component is locked in. I know it's expensive but just want it.

Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card - Considered 3090ti, but just cannot see the benefit of it. 95% Locked in.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case - Want a Full Tower Case to give me plenty of room if I decide to move to a custom water loop later. Wanted something with amazing airflow, also has the split microphone and headphone jack that I want in my front I/O. 100% locked in

Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - More or less future proofing by having additional room to grow here if needed.

Asus Xonar SE 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card - Amazing difference over onboard sound, and it's $40 and I have an available slot. This felt like a no brainer. If you have suggestions for a better under $75 sound card, please let me know. 

OS: Windows 10 Pro OEM Key - Not ready to make the Windows 11 jump yet.

Additional fans: 3 Noctua A14 PWM  140mm Fans for the front of the case
                          3 Noctua Ax25 Chromax PWM 120mm Fans for the AIO

Thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - Open to suggestions

Monitors: 2x Optix MAG281URF - Already have these, not including in PC price.  

Please leave me any constructive comments that you have. 

Thing I want to make clear: This is not a dream machine, I have been saving for awhile now to build an amazing computer and with GPU prices finally coming down it seems like the time is now. Also not a huge RGB person. 

Planning to be buying everything within the next two weeks. 

Edited by SirTrinium

6 minutes ago, SirTrinium said:

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory - Plan to make it 64GB around Christmas.

I wouldn't recommend this. Running quad channel ddr5 on 12th gens memory controller is basically impossible. I'd just get ddr4 now and save the money since ddr5 only shows perfromance increase in very select applications.

A little bit more fine tuning can be done I'm way to incoherent to make a list now so if nobody responds by the time I wake up I'll be able to make a list

Yeah, I would definitely recommend swapping out that DDR5 for DDR4. No real noticeable improvement with DDR5 yet.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RvWyVw

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($574.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($140.72 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($258.95 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($1549.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case  ($221.89 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar SE 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
$3471.50

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

I9-12900K - Do you want to overclock? If not, the i9-12900 (without K) is more than enough for all your needs and doesn't get so freaking hot.

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory - That should be more than you ever need. Upgrade to 64GB is definitely overkill for 99% of the possible use cases.

Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - Tip: Consider a smaller M.2 for the system (~500GB) and a bigger SATA one for Data storage (can be expanded later more easily) OR a second M.2 if you want the additional speed on your data drive. You won't need the speed though...

Additional Fans: Depends on what your needs are. Personally i run a mix of Noctua 140mm and be quiet 120mm as case fans (wanted my system to be as quiet as possible, had the be quiet fans laying around).

Thermal paste: The Kraken has preapplied paste, maybe this is enough. 

I made some changes to your build. I changed the motherboard since the one you chose isn't great, I added a better cooler, changed the SSD to something that's faster and cheaper, changed the GPU to a 6950 XT (faster than 3090) but if you want Nvidia features I recommend the 3080 12gb, and I also added a DDR4 list because DDR5 really isn't worth it.

DDR5 build

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

DDR4 build

50 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

DDR4 build

Good build maybe i would swap the ram for Crucial ballistix 3600 CL 16 2x16 and for fans i would put maglev corsair fans or 3x 140mm Noctua A140 front fans and 3x 120m A12x25 on the radiator just for that high performance + silence (yes expensive cooling i know)

5 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

Good build maybe i would swap the ram for Crucial ballistix 3600 CL 16 2x16 and for fans i would put maglev corsair fans or 3x 140mm Noctua A140 front fans and 3x 120m A12x25 on the radiator just for that high performance + silence (yes expensive cooling i know)

Could also get arctic p12/p14 then gets you 90% of the way there with the same silence. But you get 5 for the price of 1 noctua:p

I also have a bit of an out there suggestion for the cooler. Since you are eventually planning on a loop you can opt to get a alphacool eisbear/eiswolf. Those can adapt to basically any other 1/4" watercooling part.

3 hours ago, SirTrinium said:

Trying to keep it under $4000 USD with tax and shipping

Some readers have no idea what taxes or shipping costs would apply. 

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory - Plan to make it 64GB around Christmas.

Alder Lake has issues supporting 4 DDR5 modules. It would be better to start with 2x32GB.

Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI

Most of the Z690 motherboards around this price are decent. I would spend a bit more for the MSI MAG Tomahawk WiFi. Better VRM and pre-installed back plate.

Additional fans: Unsure what I should be picking up. 

Given the AIO and 3 stock case fans, I doubt there is a need for more. Fans are easily added later.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:43 AM, brob said:

Most of the Z690 motherboards around this price are decent. I would spend a bit more for the MSI MAG Tomahawk WiFi. Better VRM and pre-installed back plate.

Thank you for the information. I definitely agree since I am switching down to DDR4 after doing more research, this is definitely a better motherboard for me. 

On 6/30/2022 at 1:49 AM, Ryuikko said:

I wouldn't recommend this. Running quad channel ddr5 on 12th gens memory controller is basically impossible. I'd just get ddr4 now and save the money since ddr5 only shows perfromance increase in very select applications.

Thank you for this. I did not realize that DDR5 could not be handled by the memory controller of 12th gen. I decided to move to DDR4 instead and redid the set up. 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:02 AM, Makaroni said:

Thank you for the fans, that is definitely the type of suggestion I was looking for. I am curious what is the advantage of Crucial Ballistix 3600 over Corsair Vengence 3600. I added both to my pcpartpicker list, but I do not understand which would be better.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, Pixelfie said:

CPU Cooler: EK EK-AIO Basic 360 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($128.99 @ Amazon) 

I have decided to go with this cooler over the NZXT one I had. Simply because the reviews are much better. Thank you for this suggestion. 

I'll edit my first post to show the changes. 

On 7/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, SirTrinium said:

Thank you for the fans, that is definitely the type of suggestion I was looking for. I am curious what is the advantage of Crucial Ballistix 3600 over Corsair Vengence 3600. I added both to my pcpartpicker list, but I do not understand which would be better.

If you really want high end gaming Crucial ballistix CL 16 3600 are the way to go or Gskill. basically Micron owns Crucial and they give them high quality chips that can be fine tuned pretty nicely. With everything tuned perfectly (sub-timings or just pushing voltage with Mhz) you can get amazing performance.

for example with proper fine tuning and PBO enabled using 4x8 sticks of Crucial 3600mhz on a x570 aorus elite while hitting abount 74 degrees on my 5800x i get about 16000 points on Cinebench R23 (average is about 14800-15200) most of that is fine tunning the sub-timings of my ram and adjusting my PBO and infinity fabric properly sit at a 1:1 ratio if that makes sense.

I cannot say how well the corsair ram will fair against the Crucial but they also tend to have good ram just slightly worse secondary timings which honestly you wont even feel in gaming scenarios so you can even go with that if you like the aestetics

Good that you went with the EK AIO if i did not go with my NH U12A i would of gone with the 240mm version of that.