Changing one BIOS setting leads to computer slowdown

NotBryson

So I recently got an rtx 3060 and previously I was using the integrated graphics on the ryzen 5600g and so now when I'm in the bios and I disable integrated graphics even with the graphics adapter set to PEG instead of IGD my computer instantly starts running super slow and wont even open programs, so I want to use the GPU without slowing down the whole thing. I'm also using a msi x570 pro carbon MOBO. any help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Something you should know about CPUs with iGPU. They have the actual core performance of a lesser processor (in this case, the 5600G has the actual core performance of a 3600, the iGPU that of a GT1030 or similar). What this means is that the processor and iGPU, being sandwiched together, collectively are faster and may seem much like the performance of a 5600, as the processor doesn't have to go very far for graphics rendering.

But once the processor cores have to use the PCIe lanes to communicate with a dedicated GPU, yes, it is likely to slow down. And as in your example, a 3600 Ryzen processor will be pushing near or at 100% utilization just to keep an RTX3060ti fed. My advice, step up to a 5600 or 5800, and upgrade your motherboard if required. You won't be sorry. 🙂

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Have you completely uninstalled AMD display drivers and installed the NVidia drivers? Windows might still be trying to use the integrated graphics. There is no reason the performance should be worse by disabling the integrated graphics. 

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Something you should know about CPUs with iGPU. They have the actual core performance of a lesser processor (in this case, the 5600G has the actual core performance of a 3600, the iGPU that of a GT1030 or similar). What this means is that the processor and iGPU, being sandwiched together, collectively are faster and may seem much like the performance of a 5600, as the processor doesn't have to go very far for graphics rendering.

But once the processor cores have to use the PCIe lanes to communicate with a dedicated GPU, yes, it is likely to slow down. And as in your example, a 3600 Ryzen processor will be pushing near or at 100% utilization just to keep an RTX3060ti fed. My advice, step up to a 5600 or 5800, and upgrade your motherboard if required. You won't be sorry. 🙂

This is not true. The biggest differences between 5600 and 5600g is the latter has a smaller cache and only supports PCIE 3.0.  It is still Zen3 and performs as such.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/m1553183vs4040 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m1553183vs4084

5600g is within 6% of 5600x, and also 16% faster than previous gen

There is no need to purchase new hardware and no CPU bottleneck. OP should absolutely NOT side grade from a 5600g to 5600 unless they want to blow money.

1 hour ago, NotBryson said:

So I recently got an rtx 3060 and previously I was using the integrated graphics on the ryzen 5600g and so now when I'm in the bios and I disable integrated graphics even with the graphics adapter set to PEG instead of IGD my computer instantly starts running super slow and wont even open programs, so I want to use the GPU without slowing down the whole thing. I'm also using a msi x570 pro carbon MOBO. any help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Did you actually swap the hdmi/dp cable to the port on the graphics card? Some BIOS will allow the the iGPU to operate in a "sort of" mode where the screen output still works with the port on the motherboard. If yes, run DDU in safe mode to fully remove AMD drivers, then reinstall Nvidia's.

49 minutes ago, alexjzim said:

This is not true. The biggest differences between 5600 and 5600g is the latter has a smaller cache and only supports PCIE 3.0.  It is still Zen3 and performs as such.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/m1553183vs4040 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m1553183vs4084

5600g is within 6% of 5600x, and also 16% faster than previous gen

There is no need to purchase new hardware and no CPU bottleneck. OP should absolutely NOT side grade from a 5600g to 5600 unless they want to blow money.

So what exactly is the reason that OP's machine seems so slow and unresponsive to them? I'm confused, because several here have stated that the 5600G does not, in fact, have the same performance as the 5600. If you'd care to explain this via PM, that's fine, because either I've been fed a line, or there's something I'm misunderstanding here.

51 minutes ago, alexjzim said:

Did you actually swap the hdmi/dp cable to the port on the graphics card? Some BIOS will allow the the iGPU to operate in a "sort of" mode where the screen output still works with the port on the motherboard. If yes, run DDU in safe mode to fully remove AMD drivers, then reinstall Nvidia's.

So, you're saying the AMD iGPU drivers are what is slowing the CPU down?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

It's possible the slowdown is related to OPs drivers but we will have to see what OP says.

The 5600 is better, but only by a little.  The 5600 has more cache than the 5600g, which is important in certain games.   If you are curious to read benchmarks check out https://www.techspot.com/review/2302-amd-ryzen-5600g/ they directly compare the 5600x 5600g and 3600. (the 5600g also has 16 pcie lanes so this should not be an issue)