Pushing a GTX 1070 to infinity and beyond?

MrConcrete04

Hello world,

I have a Palit Dual GTX 1070 just chilling around and I wanna give it a propper send off since I dont plan on using it (and my friend definetly doesnt have an identical card and we wanna see who can OC it harder lmao) anyways I have an NZXT Kraken G12 strapped to it with a Kraken X53 AIO with TG Conductonaut LM because I am a bit of a tech hoarder. The GPUs stock vbios limits me to 113% power and idk what else I can do....

Any advice?

Thanks

e.

I am not gonna bother checking if that card actually has decent power delivery but I can tell you straight away, you can hit power limits even on stock cooler. You will have to shunt mod it AND if you never done soldering, it is NOT an easy thing to do. Remove the cooler, put the stock cooler back on sell it. 10xx series cards still fetch decent amount of money.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

First thing I'd do would be to shunt mod the card. That's about as much as you can do at ambient. You might be able to get some improvements by messing with the voltage controller (disable phase shedding, adjust load line, etc.) and cap modding the card, but that's an extra 15-30MHz at most. 

The problem with overclocking Pascal is that they only really start improving once you go sub zero. They do scale with voltage, but they don't scale with voltage at ambient. They're fun cards to take on LN2 if you and your friend want to get LN2 pots to do this with, but there's not much of a point to doing XOC with them at ambient. If you want to do stuff at ambient/on water, you'd be better off selling the cards and getting some older stuff that scales a bit more at ambient. 7970s, for example, are relatively cheap and do tend to scale a bit more at ambient, should be a lot more fun to compete with a friend for the fastest GPU. 

18 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am not gonna bother checking if that card actually has decent power delivery but I can tell you straight away, you can hit power limits even on stock cooler. You will have to shunt mod it AND if you never done soldering, it is NOT an easy thing to do. Remove the cooler, put the stock cooler back on sell it. 10xx series cards still fetch decent amount of money.

This is just for a bit of fun, shunt modding is something I am looking at but rather the cheapo way by just applying some LM on the resistor the way derbauer and gn did it... could a custom vbios help by any chance? or better how hard would it be to find one?

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First thing I'd do would be to shunt mod the card. That's about as much as you can do at ambient. You might be able to get some improvements by messing with the voltage controller (disable phase shedding, adjust load line, etc.) and cap modding the card, but that's an extra 15-30MHz at most. 

The problem with overclocking Pascal is that they only really start improving once you go sub zero. They do scale with voltage, but they don't scale with voltage at ambient. They're fun cards to take on LN2 if you and your friend want to get LN2 pots to do this with, but there's not much of a point to doing XOC with them at ambient. If you want to do stuff at ambient/on water, you'd be better off selling the cards and getting some older stuff that scales a bit more at ambient. 7970s, for example, are relatively cheap and do tend to scale a bit more at ambient, should be a lot more fun to compete with a friend for the fastest GPU. 

not planning on going that hard core to need LN2, could shunt modding or a custom vbios work? any advice on that?

3 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

could a custom vbios help by any chance?

It would if there is a compatible one. Not every card is identical, dont go out flashing random bioses to your card, that wont work.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

It would if there is a compatible one. Not every card is identical, dont go out flashing random bioses to your card, that wont work.

hence why Im here... an LM shunt mod seems the most reasonable thing to do rn but I have heard other users having the solder joints give in after a couple months of use... obviously I am not planning on dailying it but is there a way to do it a bit safer?

Just now, MrConcrete04 said:

hence why Im here... an LM shunt mod seems the most reasonable thing to do rn but I have heard other users having the solder joints give in after a couple months of use... obviously I am not planning on dailying it but is there a way to do it a bit safer?

I wouldnt use liquid metal, its very messy and if the resistance is too low card might go into a failsafe mode where it would be stuck at super low frequencies. Do it right, or dont do it.

Just now, MrConcrete04 said:

not planning on going that hard core to need LN2, could shunt modding or a custom vbios work? any advice on that?

Custom vBIOS would work, but good luck finding one. Pascal is when Nvidia decided to lock down the vBIOS on those cards so you BIOS modding them is near impossible on your own. You need to have found someone from Palit to have gotten a vBIOS made without power limits. Shunt modding would be how you'd have to unlock the power limits, but you aren't really gonna get that much farther by doing that. 

27 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Custom vBIOS would work, but good luck finding one. Pascal is when Nvidia decided to lock down the vBIOS on those cards so you BIOS modding them is near impossible on your own. You need to have found someone from Palit to have gotten a vBIOS made without power limits. Shunt modding would be how you'd have to unlock the power limits, but you aren't really gonna get that much farther by doing that. 

any recommendations on where to look?

I have a gtx 1070 gaming x from MSI with a water block. I can push it to around 2200MHz without having a problem with power. 2200MHz is the limit of what I can do without any voltage mod. Maybe try slightly undervolting the card. If you are power limited, this could help a lot

4 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

any recommendations on where to look?

Ask around on random forums and hope to get lucky, but the odds of finding one are next to impossible. Palit cards just aren't used for XOC stuff so no one bothers to try and bribe an engineer to make one instead of just shunt modding the card properly. 

14 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I have a gtx 1070 gaming x from MSI with a water block. I can push it to around 2200MHz without having a problem with power. 2200MHz is the limit of what I can do without any voltage mod. Maybe try slightly undervolting the card. If you are power limited, this could help a lot

2200??? I cant get mine to be stable at 2100...

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ask around on random forums and hope to get lucky, but the odds of finding one are next to impossible. Palit cards just aren't used for XOC stuff so no one bothers to try and bribe an engineer to make one instead of just shunt modding the card properly. 

Yea I get that, it was cheap tho, I think a friend of mine has a soldering iron, flux and the resistors cant be expensive..

16 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

2200??? I cant get mine to be stable at 2100...

Are you voltage limited or power limited at that frequency?
If it is voltage, you dont need to shunt mod the card. Shunt modding will just give you more power, but if you are already at 1092mV (iirc thats what pascal can do without mods), then there is not a lot you can do except for tuning ram and getting the temps lower

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

Are you voltage limited or power limited at that frequency?
If it is voltage, you dont need to shunt mod the card. Shunt modding will just give you more power, but if you are already at 1092mV (iirc thats what pascal can do without mods), then there is not a lot you can do except for tuning ram and getting the temps lower

I use evga precision x1 and just as J2C always does, I just slide the voltage slider all the way up to allow it to pull as much as necessary tho yes, I think I may be hitting the 1092mV limit with that... I got +700 mem and +200 core stable enough to run heaven but I cant go any further so I am hoping the ghetto shunt mod will get me further as soon as the next tube of LM arrives lmao

I really wouldnt use LM to shunt mod. There can go a lot wrong and its really tricky to get right. Just solder resistor in parallel or find someone to do it for you. If you use an AIO for the die, you have to make sure, that your memory and power delivery isnt overheating

41 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I really wouldnt use LM to shunt mod. There can go a lot wrong and its really tricky to get right. Just solder resistor in parallel or find someone to do it for you. If you use an AIO for the die, you have to make sure, that your memory and power delivery isnt overheating

the kit has a 92mm fan blowing at everything, its pretty neat (nzxt kraken g12 if u wanna have a look), yea I have a friend with a soldering iron just that neither of us are qualified lmao

you could buy a broken GPU online and practice on that. They should be pretty cheap again

Loose from what others havr been saying. The g13 ONLY cools the gpu core. NOTHING ELSE. The rest would rely on small heatsinks you glue on and let me tell you those are absolutly not enough when pushing big ocs.