Raspberry Pi 4 - share wlan0 over wlan1 and eth0

SKIPaBOLT

Hi 🙂

My Linux commands and networking knowledge is limited to ctrl+C and paste from google... So i can only get a common problems fixed.

I live in hotel for now and am using open wifi which requires identification over their website after connection. On busier hours it does not work that smoothly though, but if i do not disconnect it seems to work ok.

Explanation of circumstances, wants and needs might take whole chapter so to cut it shorter the title tells all i wanna do. I take internet from wlan0 and try to share over eth0 to desktop and over directional antenna wlan1 so i could use my wireless devices outside. So far i could manage to share over one or another but not both while trying to improvise with guides that i googled... It takes really long time for me to check each method or do alterations as i hunt and peck entering command in fear of mistakes and have no idea how to reset after i mess it up...

I tried this method https://www.instructables.com/Share-WiFi-With-Ethernet-Port-on-a-Raspberry-Pi/

first time it worked to share through cable but when i tried to add wlan1 i could not to get it working even on fresh OS...

maybe there is some kind of app like "Connectify" on windows to make it easy..?

or maybe you know some more idiot-proof guide?

Edited by SKIPaBOLT

21 hours ago, SKIPaBOLT said:

I tried this method https://www.instructables.com/Share-WiFi-With-Ethernet-Port-on-a-Raspberry-Pi/

first time it worked to share through cable but when i tried to add wlan1 i could not to get it working even on fresh OS...

I'd configure it for WiFi to WiFi first, then you join the ethernet port to the WiFi bridge interface.

In this configuration everything that refers to eth0 would instead be the bridge WiFi is using such as br0.

In their configuration dnsmasq is only acting on eth0 so naturally wouldn't work over WiFi.

Honestly the easiest way to do this would be to just use a router that supports WiFi Client mode, ideally tri-band so you could connect to the hotel WiFi on a 5Ghz channel, then broadcast your own on 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz radio.  A router is going to have MUCH better reception of the hotel WiFi and probably be a lot faster.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd configure it for WiFi to WiFi first, then you join the ethernet port to the WiFi bridge interface.

In this configuration everything that refers to eth0 would instead be the bridge WiFi is using such as br0.

In their configuration dnsmasq is only acting on eth0 so naturally wouldn't work over WiFi.

Honestly the easiest way to do this would be to just use a router that supports WiFi Client mode, ideally tri-band so you could connect to the hotel WiFi on a 5Ghz channel, then broadcast your own on 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz radio.  A router is going to have MUCH better reception of the hotel WiFi and probably be a lot faster.

ok 🙂 so i think i could manage wifi to wifi sharing... how to find some guide meant to add eth0..?

well... the easiest way would be to live with what i am provided for sure. Or to drive 150km to closest electronics shop and expect to (maybe) find suitable hardware for unknown price for a temporary period for which i need this solution...
I happen to have a spare raspberry and very old directional wifi with a very good range that is able to get me a signal to where i like to chillax but can't get an internet otherwise.

Also something wrong with authentication process. If i am successful with getting over that - i better stay connected or i might need to wait until it cooperates again...

I know it is possible to hit all those birds with this one stone but lack some knowledge for execution.