Can’t run extra monitors at max refresh rate, can separately

Lifaen

I have a new 4K 60Hz monitor and an additional 2K 144Hz monitor. I can run the 2K monitor at 120Hz, but when I add the new 4K monitor it can only run at 30 Hz. If I disconnect the 2K monitor, then the 4K monitor can run at 60 Hz (whether directly connected to my laptop or to my docking station). Also, if I reduce the 2K monitor to 60 Hz, the issue persists and I still cannot raise the refresh rate on my new monitor. 

Clearly the cables can handle the information load since they do fine when connected alone, so what’s going on here?

I’m using Windows 10 and it’s up to date. I have an RTX 3080 in my laptop and Ryzen 9 CPU.

I found one other person online with this issue, but that was it, and no solutions anywhere. Grateful for any help.

If it's just a docking station then that could make sense as often docking stations have similar limitations like that depending on the model. As for if you were to connect the two monitors through separate ports like I'd you had one through hdmi and another through displayport then I see no reason why it shouldn't run both at their respective refreshrates unless for some dumb reason the two ports share bandwidth.

Also sometimes I have had similar issues and had to tinker around in the display settings in windows to set them at their correct refreshrates.