is buying a cpu with integrated graphics good

sillyguy4

i don't want to have to buy my gpu right away. would it be good to buy a cpu with integrated graphics or buy a cheaper gpu

Depends. iGPU on alder lake is meh, Zen 3 APU Vega is much better supported and much more stable with drivers. iGPU is going to severely limit gameplay of most games. If you are cool with 1080p 60fps, sure. What is your budget looking like right now?

Not that it's bad but you probably won't be able to run any heavy loads off of it, there are some trade offs though

On ryzens side, their cpus with integrated graphics tend to be a bit cheaper then their non counterparts at the trade off of perfromance.

In intels side, Their cpus with integrated graphics tend to be a bit more expensive,but not losing any performance as I am aware of 

If you do plan to buy a cheaper gpu to scrape by I wouldn't recommend anything over ~130 since you would be replacing it soon anyways.

In my opinion I'd just run off of the igpu as long as you aren't doing anything too intesne

There are some tradeoffs...

The integrated graphics uses some silicon die area, so something has to be sacrificed to make room for it.

Often, you have less level 3 cache because that cache memory uses a lot of space in the chip. So you could have regular 5600 and 5600x with 32 MB of level 3 cache, but the 5600g has only 16 MB level 3 cache.

The cache helps programs that do a lot of calculations.

In the case of AMD processors, some processors with integrated graphics support only pci-e 3.0 which can result in a tiny bit of performance loss when using pci-e 4.0 video cards (but we're talking 1-2%)

AMD also made some processors with integrated graphics that connect the integrated graphics to the cpu using a few pci-e lanes that would otherwise to the main pci-e x16 slot in which you'd plug dedicated video cards.

So for example, Ryzen 3000g has only 8 (or maybe 4? I'm no sure) pci-e lanes going to that main pci-e x16 slot in which you'd put dedicated video cards. I think Athlon 200ge has only 4 pci-e lanes for dedicated video card, but I'm not sure.

AMD has announced that all their socket AM5 processors will have some very minimal integrated graphics, and that will work because they plan to put the integrated graphics in the same chiplet that has the memory controller and the pci-e controller, not in the chips with the cores  - AMD processors are made with 1 or 2 cpu dies that each have up to 8 cores and 16 threads and 1 die that has the memory controller, pci-e controller and some sata and usb controllers. The IO die was made using a cheaper manufacturing process.

8 hours ago, sillyguy4 said:

i don't want to have to buy my gpu right away. would it be good to buy a cpu with integrated graphics or buy a cheaper gpu

If you are considering Intel, stick with an iGPU model. You won't have  reasonable FPS gaming but will get a strong CPU. Ryzen models with integrated graphics have lower performance than non iGPU models. So I would suggest getting an inexpensive GPU instead. Essentially my advice is to get the highest performance CPU that fits the budget.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.