GPU and CPU not being fully utilised while at sub 60fps

Abzilla

Hi there, I have addressed this issue before and boiled it down to my CPU not being powerful enough. I've upgraded my cpu to a 5900X with 32gb 3600MHz ram and an Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti OC.

I've put RDR2 to ultra settings and at times it plays 60fps no sweat, but at times it sticks in the mid 40s fps while not utilising 100% of the GPU nor the CPU.

Temps are perfectly fine in the 50s but I feel like there is more performance in the card which simply isn't being used.

Why is this the case?

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Just a guess but make sure you windows power management is set to Performance and not energy saving, some PSU's have an eco mode too, at least EVGA does.

Also, you can go to process in the task manager and set that game to high priority, dont know how much would that help but I think its worth a try.

Nah in your case, I am pretty sure its your GPU. I am playing RDR2 at ultra settings using a 3600(4125mhz CPU, 3800mhz DRAM) and a 3070 at 90 to 120fps with no DLSS. Make sure you are using VULKAN API, not DX12.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Just a guess but make sure you windows power management is set to Performance and not energy saving, some PSU's have an eco mode too, at least EVGA does.

Also, you can go to process in the task manager and set that game to high priority, dont know how much would that help but I think its worth a try.

My windows power management has already been set onto performance. I would be surprised if corsair would make a PSU come out of the box on eco mode, which I haven't heard of before myself.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nah in your case, I am pretty sure its your GPU. I am playing RDR2 at ultra settings using a 3600(4125mhz CPU, 3800mhz DRAM) and a 3070 at 90 to 120fps with no DLSS. Make sure you are using VULKAN API, not DX12.

I thought DX12 was preferred, no?

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Just now, Abzilla said:

My windows power management has already been set onto performance. I would be surprised if corsair would make a PSU come out of the box on eco mode, which I haven't heard of before myself.

I thought DX12 was preferred, no?

Vulkan performs better, all you gotta do is switch a setting. Experiment.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Vulkan performs better, all you gotta do is switch a setting. Experiment.

Vulcan has made is much worse, I was getting at lowest mid 40s and now its in the low 30s high 20s and can't hit 60s with vulcan. DX12 seems to provide far better performance.

Could it be the game is badly optimized? Have you tried any demanding benchmark to see if your CPU+GPU combo reach 100% or close?

You did a clean install of Windows?

Do you still use that junky groupregulated Aerocool PSU?

On 6/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, Jorgemeister said:

Could it be the game is badly optimized? Have you tried any demanding benchmark to see if your CPU+GPU combo reach 100% or close?

Perhaps, I don't have any new benchmark games on hand, I'll buy 3Dmark as its on sale now.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, --SID-- said:

You did a clean install of Windows?

Do you still use that junky groupregulated Aerocool PSU?

I haven't done a clean install of Windows in a long time. It's quite scary to mess around with those things, but I would be willing to try it.

Not anymore, I have a Corsair RM850. I've also finally figured out how to update my signature 😛