Power supplies conectors

MilanRS

Hello,

I bought new motherboard and now i need to change it but when i try to pull out conector close to ram i need to pull. I am not comfortable doing that. I know that there is locking mechanisam to press but still aquire a lot of force. Same thing with eight pin conector on gpu. Is there a  catch, what to do?

Only cpu conector is easy to take off.

Not really you just have to press the little latch and then yank it out, try to grab onto the plastic, do not pull on the cable. That's about it. (you can swear a lot if it's not coming off, that usually helps me)

6 minutes ago, MilanRS said:

Hello,

I bought new motherboard and now i need to change it but when i try to pull out conector close to ram i need to pull. I am not comfortable doing that. I know that there is locking mechanisam to press but still aquire a lot of force. Same thing with eight pin conector on gpu. Is there a  catch, what to do?

Only cpu conector is easy to take off.

They can be hard to remove sometimes, especially the 24 pin connector on the motherboard. If you a pressing against the locking tab on the connector and you can clearly see that it's not locking you just have to pull. For the 24 pin you can try gently walking it side to side to get it out.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

If you get a flathead screwdriver and put it in the gap where the connectors meet, hold down the latch releasing the connector and twist the screwdriver gently, it will come out.  Alternate on either side and it'll pop out eventually.  Don't go mad on it though and obviously do this out of the case.

Thanks for answering.

They should change tolerance on conectors.

2 hours ago, MilanRS said:

Thanks for answering.

They should change tolerance on conectors.

No. They're tight for a reason. 

Why? Latch can hold?

It would be nice, other conectors are fine just those two.

People are seling custom cables made with unirvesal hand crimper, unirvesal anvil, crimper and other parts wich should be made for every specific terminal and people still buy those things. I like how they look but i will not buy something like that.

They put bad crimped terminals in those conectors and companies who use real machines and normal terminals can't increase height or widht of conector, jus a litle. And Corsair cables, braided ones are so expensive... They cost ten procent of the seling price to produce 🙂 and that is maybe too much.

7 hours ago, MilanRS said:

Why? Latch can hold?

It would be nice, other conectors are fine just those two.

No.  You don't want only the latch to hold.  The terminals need to mate completely to insure there is no resistance between the two connectors.  Because you're dealing with lower voltages, you're dealing with higher currents.  So it's not like your wall plug which is only moving < 10A of current and can have a little bit of "slop" between the terminals.

And Corsair cables, braided ones are so expensive... They cost ten procent of the seling price to produce 🙂 and that is maybe too much.

You get what you pay for.

Actualy it was ni to hard to take off conector. I had expiriance with cheap psu before. This was ok. Little wigle and volaaa 🙂

So outher edges of conector are not to tight but parts where pins are?

Actualy it was ni to hard to take off conector. I had expiriance with cheap psu before. This was ok. Little wigle and volaaa 🙂

So outher edges of conector are not to tight but parts where pins are?

Yes.  The "pins" (correct term: terminals) is what makes the connections tight.  A good terminal has a taper and when fully inserted, there is zero tolerances between the two mating surfaces.  If a connector is easy to pull out, it was either not made properly or not installed properly.