Ethernet Port speeds not matching what my router can output

Dylmao

When adjusting my ethernet speed in the device manager and going under "speed and duplex", I can go up to 100Mbps full duplex and then the next option is 2.5Gbps full duplex. I believe my router goes up to 1Gbps. When I choose that option, my ethernet doesnt work as I assume it understands it cannot go up to that speed. Is there a way to add the 1000Mbps/1Gbps option? It doesnt make sense as to why it is not available unless it is motherboard related. Even then if it goes to 2.5Gbps I don't understand why that option wouldn't be available. I have a Cat 6 cable and 1000Mbps/1Gps plan with Xfinity.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Actual driver from NIC supplier?

Is the cable inserted in the GB port? (Some Network devices make the claim but only supply 1 of 4 ports to support the full bandwidth)

23 minutes ago, Dylmao said:

When adjusting my ethernet speed in the device manager and going under "speed and duplex", I can go up to 100Mbps full duplex and then the next option is 2.5Gbps full duplex. I believe my router goes up to 1Gbps. When I choose that option, my ethernet doesnt work as I assume it understands it cannot go up to that speed. Is there a way to add the 1000Mbps/1Gbps option? It doesnt make sense as to why it is not available unless it is motherboard related. Even then if it goes to 2.5Gbps I don't understand why that option wouldn't be available. I have a Cat 6 cable and 1000Mbps/1Gps plan with Xfinity.

Any insight would be appreciated.

You shouldn't need to change it from Auto Negotiate.

Are you 100% sure the router is Gigabit?  If so, can you try a different cable, even temporarily?

Its possible for drivers to have issues sometimes, but best to check the basics first.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

What motherboard are you working with? It's almost definitely 100/1000/2500 but as mentioned above auto-negotiate should have picked the highest speed both devices support without your intervention.

What model router/switch is the PC connected to?

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What motherboard are you working with? It's almost definitely 100/1000/2500 but as mentioned above auto-negotiate should have picked the highest speed both devices support without your intervention.

What model router/switch is the PC connected to?

I have an MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi and an xFi Gateway with a 1Gbps plan I believe.  

46 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You shouldn't need to change it from Auto Negotiate.

Are you 100% sure the router is Gigabit?  If so, can you try a different cable, even temporarily?

Its possible for drivers to have issues sometimes, but best to check the basics first.

Yea I'm 99.9% sure the router is Gigabit. As for the cable, it's a cat 6 cable but I'm unable to change it due to it being the only one I have currently.

1 hour ago, Ada1 said:

Actual driver from NIC supplier?

Is the cable inserted in the GB port? (Some Network devices make the claim but only supply 1 of 4 ports to support the full bandwidth)

I have all the updated drivers installed for the motherboard including the most recent Bios updates. I'll check if the cable is inserted into the GB port but even so, my laptop with the same router port and Cat 6 cable, gets around 300Mbps wired in.

I wonder if it is motherboard or Bios setting related as my audio ports are also not working either.

2 hours ago, Dylmao said:

I have an MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi and an xFi Gateway with a 1Gbps plan I believe.  

You're connected directly to the router? Nothing in-between?

Yea I'm 99.9% sure the router is Gigabit. As for the cable, it's a cat 6 cable but I'm unable to change it due to it being the only one I have currently.

I have all the updated drivers installed for the motherboard including the most recent Bios updates. I'll check if the cable is inserted into the GB port but even so, my laptop with the same router port and Cat 6 cable, gets around 300Mbps wired in.

If your laptop registers Gigabit then we know nothing is wrong with the Cat6 cable or the router. That speed of 300Mbps makes me think the laptop might be using Wi-Fi though for the speed-test. I'd try it again but disable Wi-Fi.

I wonder if it is motherboard or Bios setting related as my audio ports are also not working either.

There's usually a switch in the BIOS to disable/enable audio but it's always enabled by default unless you deliberately disabled it. You could be dealing with a hardware problem with your motherboard then.

You could try resetting CMOS but there's a good chance it won't change anything for the better. There are some settings relative to both functions in the BIOS but someone would have had to mess with them in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You're connected directly to the router? Nothing in-between?

If your laptop registers Gigabit then we know nothing is wrong with the Cat6 cable or the router. That speed of 300Mbps makes me think the laptop might be using Wi-Fi though for the speed-test. I'd try it again but disable Wi-Fi.

There's usually a switch in the BIOS to disable/enable audio but it's always enabled by default unless you deliberately disabled it. You could be dealing with a hardware problem with your motherboard then.

You could try resetting CMOS but there's a good chance it won't change anything for the better. There are some settings relative to both functions in the BIOS but someone would have had to mess with them in the first 

My current setup is situated upstairs whereas my router is all the way in my basement. The lan travels all the way through the house without any connection in between. As for the speeds on the laptop, I just checked again and the wifi was turned off the first time, with that said I ran another speed test and hit around 400Mbps upload this time. 

I'll go into the Bios to check if any settings are altered/disabled for audio and ethernet. 

2 minutes ago, Dylmao said:

My current setup is situated upstairs whereas my router is all the way in my basement. The lan travels all the way through the house without any connection in between. As for the speeds on the laptop, I just checked again and the wifi was turned off the first time, with that said I ran another speed test and hit around 400Mbps upload this time. 

I'll go into the Bios to check if any settings are altered/disabled for audio and ethernet. 

Good information to know. What's important is that the speeds you saw were higher than 100mbps.

Do you know how to boot Ubuntu or similar distribution off of a USB stick? This would tell us if both the audio and LAN problems are more likely hardware or software.

This process would not make any changes to your existing Windows install by the way.

41 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Good information to know. What's important is that the speeds you saw were higher than 100mbps.

Do you know how to boot Ubuntu or similar distribution off of a USB stick? This would tell us if both the audio and LAN problems are more likely hardware or software.

This process would not make any changes to your existing Windows install by the 

I do not but am more than willing to try it! I assume I download the program on a USB and run it from the Bios?

1 hour ago, Dylmao said:

I do not but am more than willing to try it! I assume I download the program on a USB and run it from the Bios?

From Windows I like to use Rufus. There's a website for Rufus and a website for Ubuntu. Rufus lets you take a OS.iso file and run it from a USB stick. There's a few ways to boot to it from the BIOS. Then you can click on "Try Ubuntu" this will give you a temporary environment where you can test audio and do a quick speedtest in FireFox. Give us some quick better insight as to what we're dealing with.

7 hours ago, Dylmao said:

Its silly, but sometimes a cable can be slightly out of spec and fail to run Gigabit on one NIC but work fine in another.  There seems to be someone running into this problem practically every few weeks on this forum.

I feel like its been more common since motherboards have been coming with 2.5Gbit adapters though.

Is it Realtek or Intel?  If Intel do you know what revision it is?   There were hardware problems with the early revisions that were fixed in REV3 (B3) and one of the symptoms is it can drop to 100Mbit.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its silly, but sometimes a cable can be slightly out of spec and fail to run Gigabit on one NIC but work fine in another.  There seems to be someone running into this problem practically every few weeks on this forum.

I feel like its been more common since motherboards have been coming with 2.5Gbit adapters though.

Is it Realtek or Intel?  If Intel do you know what revision it is?   There were hardware problems with the early revisions that were fixed in REV3 (B3) and one of the symptoms is it can drop to 100Mbit.

I believe it is an Intel NIC. The thing is, it's not dropping to 100Mbps, It was originally only showing at 8Mbps until I changed the speeds under "Speed and Duplex" (Which I've since reverted after doing some more research).

As a said earlier, the motherboard audio ports also dont work. I feel like my best option is to do a clean restart and exchange the motherboard from Amazon.