PC Crashes when gaming - I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING! pLZ hELP :)

kikilokiki
Go to solution Solved by kikilokiki,

Thank you all so much for you help.

DigitalGoat I tried your suggestion and I repasted the card as well as put 1 fan underneath it blowing air directly to the card. This helped to keep the temp down by about 15 degrees and COD ran super fine hovering at 70C which is quite excellent.

I am going to keep the power a bit lower since it didn't like arriving at 80C but I can at least run the card now at 90% power and it not carshing.

Again, thank you all for your help. 

Hi everyone,

I am stumped!

PC keeps crashing while gaming.

I can play Overwatch for a couple rounds but it will then crash.

COD Black Ops - will crash while trying to create the shaders, not even getting up to 5% done.

Path of Exile - works fine with no crash

Elden Ring - crashes

Rocket League - crashes

TROUBLE SHOOTING  I HAVE TRIED

-Clean install of windows

-clean install windows on clean formatted drives

- replaced ram

- switch out video card with a radeon 6600 xt oc (everything ran fine)

-tried my 2080Ti card on my brothers pc using my GPU power cable incase that was an issue - (everything worked fine)

-moved Pc to a whole new building incase electrical wiring was funky (still crashes on games)

-updated motherboard bios (still crashes on games)

-tried on windows 10 (still crashes on games)

-tried on windows 11 (still crashes on games)

-new power cable (still crashes on games)

So, all the parts seem to be working but when I put the 2080Ti on my machine soon after starting to game it will crash black screen, all fans rev up to max, sound stays on for a couple of seconds with game still running and then nothing. It will stay this way until I force a restart.

FYI - The machine was working fine with all current parts for 1.5 months and just randomly started having this issue.

*Every try I had all updates installed, latest GPU drivers installed, tried with and without an antivirus with same results. 

Any ideas I can try would be immensely appreciated. 

Many thanks!

Here is a link to my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dmorris/saved/#view=tCnZJx

12 minutes ago, kikilokiki said:

-tried my 2080Ti card on my brothers pc using my GPU power cable incase that was an issue - (everything worked fine)

What PSU he using? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

What PSU he using? 

I don't remember exactly but it was 650W

I would say PSU. You might wanna try exchange the PSU, get the better one from your brother 🙂 and test it

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

58 minutes ago, kikilokiki said:

Hi everyone,

I am stumped!

PC keeps crashing while gaming.

I can play Overwatch for a couple rounds but it will then crash.

COD Black Ops - will crash while trying to create the shaders, not even getting up to 5% done.

Path of Exile - works fine with no crash

Elden Ring - crashes

Rocket League - crashes

TROUBLE SHOOTING  I HAVE TRIED

-Clean install of windows

-clean install windows on clean formatted drives

- replaced ram

- switch out video card with a radeon 6600 xt oc (everything ran fine)

-moved Pc to a whole new building incase electrical wiring was funky (still crashes on games)

-updated motherboard bios (still crashes on games)

-tried on windows 10 (still crashes on games)

-tried on windows 11 (still crashes on games)

-new power cable (still crashes on games)

So, all the parts seem to be working but when I put the 2080Ti on my machine soon after starting to game it will crash black screen, all fans rev up to max, sound stays on for a couple of seconds with game still running and then nothing. It will stay this way until I force a restart.

FYI - The machine was working fine with all current parts for 1.5 months and just randomly started having this issue.

*Every try I had all updates installed, latest GPU drivers installed, tried with and without an antivirus with same results. 

Any ideas I can try would be immensely appreciated. 

Many thanks!

Here is a link to my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dmorris/saved/#view=tCnZJx

Use Unigene superposition or similar heavy benchmark on a loop. Use HWInfo64 and MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and voltages during load. If/ when a crash happens note the time, go to Windows Event Viewer to see if any entry coincides with the crash. Hopefully you will see an entry or at least a pattern developing to point you in the right direction.

15 hours ago, SamClan said:

I would say PSU. You might wanna try exchange the PSU, get the better one from your brother 🙂 and test it

Bought and installed a new RM750 PSU and it still gives me the same results... 😩

17 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

Use Unigene superposition or similar heavy benchmark on a loop. Use HWInfo64 and MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and voltages during load. If/ when a crash happens note the time, go to Windows Event Viewer to see if any entry coincides with the crash. Hopefully you will see an entry or at least a pattern developing to point you in the right direction.

Using new PSU which gave me same results I tried something. 

Ran EVGA Precision X1 I lowered the target power to 78% which forces GPU TEMP to a max of 77C.

In this setup COD was able to make shaders and run correctly but didn't play for more than 1 match.

I then ran 3DMark - Stess Test - Time Spy Extreme - with the lower 78% power.  Tt ran ok but didn't run in for much longer after ir reached the 77C Temp mark.

I then ran it Stress test again  at 100% power - Temp arrived at 80C way faster and as soon it got to 79-80C it crashed.

Event view shows various warnings at time of crash under Administrative Events in order:

6:07:04 PM-Warning - Source Display - Event ID 4101- Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

6:07:04 PM-Warning  - Source DistributedCOM - Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and APPID 
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
 to the user DESKTOP-7TUVUFJ\kikil SID (S-1-5-21-3207757148-4095551497-2439470707-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

6:07:04 PM-Warning  - 'Same as above'

6:07:05 PM-Error - Source Application Error - Event ID 1000 - Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22000.1, time stamp: 0x7cbe2305
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.22000.653, time stamp: 0x925bdbda
Exception code: 0x8898008d
Fault offset: 0x000000000011e6ca
Faulting process id: 0xf18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d872df42ffb909
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: 9f55e92a-22e8-472b-a667-9b8471a33bc7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

6:07:05 PM-Warning - Source Dwminit - Event ID 0 - The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898008d, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti)

Then it just give out a bunch of the same last 2 errors of the Dwminit and the Application Error.

Upon boot in the Event Viewer I see many Warnings for the DistributedCOM

For the DistributedCOM Warning i found this fix?

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-distributedcom-10016/

And for the dwm.exe Error I found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/262545/display-driversdwm-crashing-and-freezing-screens.html

Wondering if messing with so many keys is the way to go about this. What do you all suggest?

Thank you for your help!

7 hours ago, kikilokiki said:

Using new PSU which gave me same results I tried something. 

Ran EVGA Precision X1 I lowered the target power to 78% which forces GPU TEMP to a max of 77C.

In this setup COD was able to make shaders and run correctly but didn't play for more than 1 match.

I then ran 3DMark - Stess Test - Time Spy Extreme - with the lower 78% power.  Tt ran ok but didn't run in for much longer after ir reached the 77C Temp mark.

I then ran it Stress test again  at 100% power - Temp arrived at 80C way faster and as soon it got to 79-80C it crashed.

Event view shows various warnings at time of crash under Administrative Events in order:

6:07:04 PM-Warning - Source Display - Event ID 4101- Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

6:07:04 PM-Warning  - Source DistributedCOM - Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and APPID 
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
 to the user DESKTOP-7TUVUFJ\kikil SID (S-1-5-21-3207757148-4095551497-2439470707-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

6:07:04 PM-Warning  - 'Same as above'

6:07:05 PM-Error - Source Application Error - Event ID 1000 - Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22000.1, time stamp: 0x7cbe2305
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.22000.653, time stamp: 0x925bdbda
Exception code: 0x8898008d
Fault offset: 0x000000000011e6ca
Faulting process id: 0xf18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d872df42ffb909
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: 9f55e92a-22e8-472b-a667-9b8471a33bc7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

6:07:05 PM-Warning - Source Dwminit - Event ID 0 - The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898008d, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti)

Then it just give out a bunch of the same last 2 errors of the Dwminit and the Application Error.

Upon boot in the Event Viewer I see many Warnings for the DistributedCOM

For the DistributedCOM Warning i found this fix?

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-distributedcom-10016/

And for the dwm.exe Error I found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/262545/display-driversdwm-crashing-and-freezing-screens.html

Wondering if messing with so many keys is the way to go about this. What do you all suggest?

Thank you for your help!

Most of those 'events' can be ignored practically, they most probably are linked to the crash as a result, not a cause, the DWM and Nvlddmkm in particular.

DistributedCOM errors/ warnings are red herrings as far as your issue is concerned.

If you are not seeing any Kernel type errors, 41 for example or explicit power events listed then I believe the problem lies with the temperature of the card.

Although in theory it should operate fine at up to 88 degrees Celsius obviously something is causing it to crash at around 80 degrees, maybe the hotspot/ junction temp is exceeding safe limits, or the memory, or it could be a solder joint expanding with the heat causing an issue.

Try setting power to 50%, run benchmarks, check power draw and temps, if it runs without crashing try upping the power limit by 10 - 15 at a time until you hit a crash.

You could try setting up one or more fans blowing directly into the side of the cards fin stack to see if extra cooling helps stability.

Unfortunately this only really tells you it is temp related, not what to do about it, depending on the age of the card and availability of parts you may try re pasting/ changing thermal pads. 

The trouble with temps shown by software is that they are guides based on where the sensors are located, one chip over or one VRM over the temp could be 10 - 20 + degrees higher.

Maybe someone else has other ideas to help you.

Thank you all so much for you help.

DigitalGoat I tried your suggestion and I repasted the card as well as put 1 fan underneath it blowing air directly to the card. This helped to keep the temp down by about 15 degrees and COD ran super fine hovering at 70C which is quite excellent.

I am going to keep the power a bit lower since it didn't like arriving at 80C but I can at least run the card now at 90% power and it not carshing.

Again, thank you all for your help.