Computer does blinking curser on any Linux platform.

Mint7563
Go to solution Solved by RollyShed,

If installing Linux have you gone to the BIOS and switched it from UFEI to Legacy and Fast Boot OFF?

Your USB, did you burn the iso to it, not copy it?

Your OP name Mint, why are you not installing Linux Mint Cinnamon?

And 21 isn't available until July so the latest at present is 20.3

So I installed MX Linux 21 on a computer that was running windows 10, originally running windows 7. It has an INTEL Core i3.

I replaced windows with MX Linux, but it boots to a blinking curser, not responding to any input. I then tried to install CentOs 7.9, but the installer just opens a blinking curser. I now have a computer than can't boot, and won't download anything from disk. I do not believe that it is capable booting from USB. I tried, but that also lead to a blinking curser. What now?

Assuming the system has an optical drive, fetch a copy of the SysrescueCD, put it on a CD-R/W or even a DVD and boot from it. If that fails, you have dead hardware and there's nothing Linux can do about it. If you have one, try booting from an external drive as a last resort.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Try unplugging all of your drives, even the USB, and booting. Basically find out if it'll go to BIOS.

If it can go to BIOS, then you're not entirely screwed and at least you still have a functioning system that just needs fresh drives.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Assuming the system has an optical drive, fetch a copy of the SysrescueCD, put it on a CD-R/W or even a DVD and boot from it. If that fails, you have dead hardware and there's nothing Linux can do about it. If you have one, try booting from an external drive as a last resort.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try unplugging all of your drives, even the USB, and booting. Basically find out if it'll go to BIOS.

If it can go to BIOS, then you're not entirely screwed and at least you still have a functioning system that just needs fresh drives.

I cannot go to any OS I provide, as of yet. I just cannot open Linux for some reason. What I am trying to do is host a Minecraft server on here using Docker. I found it easier to use this, than just doing it on Windows. I also wanted some challenge.

I will try a low end Linux distro, probably Linux Light, and hope it still has support for the repositories and such.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does it work in the BIOS?

Yes, it does. Do you have any suggestions for an OS to use? Nothing too recourse intensive.

If installing Linux have you gone to the BIOS and switched it from UFEI to Legacy and Fast Boot OFF?

And 21 isn't available until July so the latest at present is 20.3

22 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

I cannot swap boot mode and there is not a fast boot option.

22 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Yes, I flashed it using Rufus.

23 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

I will try this...

On 5/27/2022 at 9:45 AM, Mint7563 said:

So I installed MX Linux 21 on a computer that was running windows 10, originally running windows 7. It has an INTEL Core i3.
I replaced windows with MX Linux, but it boots to a blinking curser,

How did you install MX Linux?

Did you actually install MX Linux?

If you plug in a USB stick with Mint into a computer that looks at the stick first, it will boot up Linux Mint. If it does not boot the Linux then it hasn't been installed. Once the computer comes up with Linux Mint it will run the system and and also have an icon "Install Linux" on the Desktop.

16 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

How did you install MX Linux?

Did you actually install MX Linux?

If you plug in a USB stick with Mint into a computer that looks at the stick first, it will boot up Linux Mint. If it does not boot the Linux then it hasn't been installed. Once the computer comes up with Linux Mint it will run the system and and also have an icon "Install Linux" on the Desktop.

I got linux mint installed! It worked!

Thank you so much!!

8 minutes ago, Mint7563 said:

I got linux mint installed! It worked!

Thank you so much!!

Ha ha, yes, good. If there are things you want to do with the computer, there is a vast repository, Software Manager.

Having installed so many, 40+ users, I find it very easy to do and if things don't work to start with, doesn't boot, it will be a BIOS setting problem.

There is a page with the setup I do, on the web, but moderators appear jealous and won't allow mention of it on this forum.