What could cause constant disconnect on Z690 Aorus Master 10gbit ethernet port?

Natsukashii

I made a new build this week and used a z690 aorus master motherboard.
It use a Marvell® AQtion AQC113C 10GbE LAN chip

I used a 20m 10gbit ethernet cable found on amazon connected to the 10gbit port of my router. This setup worked perfectly fine with my previous build but it didn't have a 10gbit port on the motherboard.

My issue :

now that I got a 10gbit motherboard, I wanted to experience faster internet speed. When it worked, it was pretty good, 1200mb down for 500 up, not really saturating 2.5gbit (I believe? I don't know) port but that's great.
Problem is that it doesn't work half of the time. But when I say half it's almost literal, like it works 20s, then it disconnect for 20s, then reconnect, work for 20s and repeat indefinitely, really almost like a clock.

What could be the issue?

Steps I did to try to fix this :

I updated the chipset to the latest driver available on aorus website (couldn't find this part number on marvell support, seems it's not listed), didn't fix the issue.

Removed the driver, reboot, reinstalled the driver, didn't fix the issue.

I connected the ethernet cable to my tablet with an ethernet dongle on 2.5gbit, it worked perfectly fine like my previous computer did.

What I believe might be the issue :

I never tried before this cable on 10gbit and I don't have any other mean to test 10gbit speed so maybe the cable is not of good quality so it cannot achieve such speeds?

What should I do? try to send back the motherboard? Get a new cable? Try another driver from a different source?

Edit after other test :

since I only have one 10gbit port on my motherboard, I couldn't force lower speeds so I plugged the other end on a 1gbit port of my router and yeah now it's working perfectly fine.
so is it a confirmation the issue is the cable or could it still be motherboard related?

Almost guarantee it's a shitty cable. Get some Cat6a and call it a day.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Almost guarantee it's a shitty cable. Get some Cat6a and call it a day.

is cat 6 better than cat 7? because the amazon listing says it's cat 7

31 minutes ago, Natsukashii said:

is cat 6 better than cat 7? because the amazon listing says it's cat 7

Any cable claiming to be CAT7 should be avoided, its not meant to be used in this way.

I've had no problems with even cheap Amazon flat cables at 10Gbit, but had a CAT7 cable that consistently dropped to 5Gbit.

Will admit I haven't found one that wont work reliably at 2.5Gbit though, but its always possible to get a bad cable.  Still if it worked at 10Gbit it seems unlikely it would fail at 2.5Gbit.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

28 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Any cable claiming to be CAT7 should be avoided, its not meant to be used in this way.

I've had no problems with even cheap Amazon flat cables at 10Gbit, but had a CAT7 cable that consistently dropped to 5Gbit.

Will admit I haven't found one that wont work reliably at 2.5Gbit though, but its always possible to get a bad cable.  Still if it worked at 10Gbit it seems unlikely it would fail at 2.5Gbit.

it worked at 10gbit for few seconds at a time, enough for me to do a speed test but impossible to use long term

tho it did work for 2.5 and 1 gbit with no issue

guess I'm due for a new cable and spending an hour routing the 20m around again arh

pretty angry as It's not the first shitty cable I bought on amazon, first was a shitty 20m hdmi 2.0 that couldn't hold proper connection, had the exact same problem as this 10gbit had, working for 20 sec then dropping out just to connect again

then it was a 10m hdmi 2.1 worked fine for a few month but seems like moving it around a few times did wear out the cable...

and now this one, guess I'm cursed with long cables...

1 hour ago, Natsukashii said:

it worked at 10gbit for few seconds at a time, enough for me to do a speed test but impossible to use long term

tho it did work for 2.5 and 1 gbit with no issue

guess I'm due for a new cable and spending an hour routing the 20m around again arh

pretty angry as It's not the first shitty cable I bought on amazon, first was a shitty 20m hdmi 2.0 that couldn't hold proper connection, had the exact same problem as this 10gbit had, working for 20 sec then dropping out just to connect again

then it was a 10m hdmi 2.1 worked fine for a few month but seems like moving it around a few times did wear out the cable...

and now this one, guess I'm cursed with long cables...

Oh you're lucky you got anything on HDMI, you need active/optical cables really.  I went through several to find one to reliably do 7m on HDMI 2.0, immediately went to optical for HDMI 2.1 as I knew it wasn't going to work.

HDMI is only really intended for a few metres, USB 3.0 is even worse as it often wont work right for HDDs over more than 1m.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Oh you're lucky you got anything on HDMI, you need active/optical cables really.  I went through several to do 7m on HDMI 2.0, immediately went to optical for HDMI 2.1 as I knew it wasn't going to work.

HDMI is only really intended for a few metres.

oh it was a 2.1 running in 2.0 since my tv is 2.1 but my gpu is 2.0, waiting for a new one. But I got an optical 2.1 from cable matters now, I guessed I should stop buying cheapo stuff and try to get nice reliable cable.
My only worries is that the main use of my 10m cable is that I move my tv around from my desk to in front of my bed on a wheeled tv stand and I'm worried that my stand would run over and break my optical cable or my optical cable getting stuck on something and snapping if I push/tug too much on it.

2 minutes ago, Natsukashii said:

oh it was a 2.1 running in 2.0 since my tv is 2.1 but my gpu is 2.0, waiting for a new one. But I got an optical 2.1 from cable matters now, I guessed I should stop buying cheapo stuff and try to get nice reliable cable.
My only worries is that the main use of my 10m cable is that I move my tv around from my desk to in front of my bed on a wheeled tv stand and I'm worried that my stand would run over and break my optical cable or my optical cable getting stuck on something and snapping if I push/tug too much on it.

Running over it certainly is a bad idea, but optical should withstand being moved more than copper would.

The ones I got were actually relatively cheap from Amazon just out of curiosity but they seemed to work okay.  I did move back to normal cables recommended by HDTVTest on YT as I kept having sound drop outs (and I figured the chip in the plug might be overheating due to the GPU backplate getting really hot), but turns out that's either the PC or my TV eARC as it didn't fix it.