How long do I need to wait so I can charge my phone again

Zastonish
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The rice suggestions are stupid.

If water got INTO the phone, no amount of rice will absorb the humidity from inside the phone. The solution is to RIGHT AWAY turn OFF the phone and IF YOU can disconnect battery and then you (or a service place) must open it up and clean the insides. 

Water is conductive, unless it's distilled water ... so water and impurities in the water can form "bridges", connections between two electrical points or traces inside the phone, on the circuit board, and can cause bad things over time... and while you keep the phone under rice, the battery of the phone is still connected to the circuit and moves electricity through the chips and the water and impurities can do damage.  

Rice on itself absorbs humidity, but not fast enough to be a solution to "water got INTO my device".

You'd be more effective with a bunch of those SILICA GEL baggies you find with shoes and various devices - those absorb humidity much faster but the device would still have to be opened and cleaned  IF water got INTO the phone. 

Considering it fell in water for such a short time, and you cleaned it right away, and they claim the phone is water resistant (meaning it's quite hard for water to get INTO the phone) then simple cleaning of the parts that got exposed to water with a cleaning substance (isopropyl alcohol, wipes for cleaning your glasses or monitors - they usually have isopropyl alcohol in them) would be enough. 

28 minutes ago, Zastonish said:

I would not want to if it wasn't covered in piss I still need to eat rice

Are you a troll or stupid?  You decide to not use a potential solution that saves you few hundred dollars because you need to eat half a dollar worth of rice? 

My phone is a Samsung S21 FE 5G I dropped it in the toilet Luckily I wasn't doing the number 2 I did number 1 instead which instead grossing me out I need to take the phone as fast or I loose all my money and after that I wrapped it in a towel for a few secs then it still worked but I can't charge

Put it into rice and a closed box and wait 24 hours or more 

Rice Smartphone rice and close the box 

Wait 24 hours or more 

And see if you can see water 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

4 minutes ago, SamClan said:

Put it into rice and a closed box and wait 24 hours or more 

Rice Smartphone rice and close the box 

Wait 24 hours or more 

And see if you can see water 

to be honest, I really can't understand this kind of things... phones dropping in the toilet... 

yes I accidentally dropped my smartphone from 1.2 meters onto reinforced concrete... well it being a nokia, it flexed out an edge ot of the concrete itself taking no damage at all. 

But then... the toilet? WHY? HOW? And I'm not overly carefull handling my devices...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

to be honest, I really can't understand this kind of things... phones dropping in the toilet... 

yes I accidentally dropped my smartphone from 1.2 meters onto reinforced concrete... well it being a nokia, it flexed out an edge ot of the concrete itself taking no damage at all. 

But then... the toilet? WHY? HOW? And I'm not overly carefull handling my devices...

You see sir some people have cleaning products on the top of a toilet sometimes it could slide of from soap or the angle it was and I also feel your pain before and after experiencing it

You've got a water resistant phone. Clean it with a wet wipe or a damp soapy paper towel because you dropped it in the toilet, potentially even run it under more water to rinse because you dropped it in the toilet, dry it off, then leave it for a few hours to dry out the port and you're good to go.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You've got a water resistant phone. Clean it with a wet wipe or a damp soapy paper towel because you dropped it in the toilet, potentially even run it under more water to rinse because you dropped it in the toilet, dry it off, then leave it for a few hours to dry out the port and you're good to go.

Well then since I just need to wait and I already wiped it I'll just pin this

Examine the charging port. Do you see any piss? Also, thoroughly wipe down the phone in all crevices with a cloth and isopropyl alcahol or use a baby wipe. Next, get a plastic container roughly the same size as the phone and a tiny bit bigger. Fill the container with rice to halfway and put the phone in. Then fill the container fully with rice and close. Leave it for 1-3 days. That should fix the charging issue, however you don't a phone smelling like piss. For a placebo effect, just spray it with eucalyptus oil and it will snell better. If you want to actually get rid of all the piss, I'm assuming you will have tk open the phone up.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

1 minute ago, Mr-G-Man said:

Examine the charging port. Do you see any piss? Also, thoroughly wipe down the phone in all crevices with a cloth and isopropyl alcahol or use a baby wipe. Next, get a plastic container roughly the same size as the phone and a tiny bit bigger. Fill the container with rice to halfway and put the phone in. Then fill the container fully with rice and close. Leave it for 1-3 days. That should fix the charging issue, however you don't a phone smelling like piss. For a placebo effect, just spray it with eucalyptus oil and it will snell better. If you want to actually get rid of all the piss, I'm assuming you will have tk open the phone up.

Well this is more detailed

Actually, I think the post before me was better. I didn't know the s21 was waterproof.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

If water got INTO the phone, no amount of rice will absorb the humidity from inside the phone. The solution is to RIGHT AWAY turn OFF the phone and IF YOU can disconnect battery and then you (or a service place) must open it up and clean the insides. 

Water is conductive, unless it's distilled water ... so water and impurities in the water can form "bridges", connections between two electrical points or traces inside the phone, on the circuit board, and can cause bad things over time... and while you keep the phone under rice, the battery of the phone is still connected to the circuit and moves electricity through the chips and the water and impurities can do damage.  

Rice on itself absorbs humidity, but not fast enough to be a solution to "water got INTO my device".

You'd be more effective with a bunch of those SILICA GEL baggies you find with shoes and various devices - those absorb humidity much faster but the device would still have to be opened and cleaned  IF water got INTO the phone. 

Considering it fell in water for such a short time, and you cleaned it right away, and they claim the phone is water resistant (meaning it's quite hard for water to get INTO the phone) then simple cleaning of the parts that got exposed to water with a cleaning substance (isopropyl alcohol, wipes for cleaning your glasses or monitors - they usually have isopropyl alcohol in them) would be enough. 

28 minutes ago, Zastonish said:

Are you a troll or stupid?  You decide to not use a potential solution that saves you few hundred dollars because you need to eat half a dollar worth of rice? 

But Marius, my rice is filing, time consuming, delicious, and cheap, so therefore it is worth saving the couple grains instead of my phone.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well this is even better of an explaination to nearly all phones

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'm not a troll nor stupid I'm just trying not to get yelled at putting a phone in our rice and saying that I dropped my phone in the toilet I'll have a harding beating than any beatdown before me