Top-Rear fan not spinning

StarMoonCZ

Hello,

I upgraded my system few weeks ago and noticed that my top-rear fan doesnt spin. If if help it a little manually it start with no problem but without me spinning it it doesnt do anything. I have fans that came with the ASUS GT301 and MB ASUS TUF B660 PLUS. I will be thankful for any help. 

Is that fan header’s curve ok? It may not start spinning until a certain temp is reached.

Do you have another fan you can test on the same fan header as this one, to help identify if the fan or motherboard fan header may be the cause?

3 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Is that fan header’s curve ok? It may not start spinning until a certain temp is reached.

Do you have another fan you can test on the same fan header as this one, to help identify if the fan or motherboard fan header may be the cause?

Unfortunatly I dont have another fan. Is there any software to check this with?

4 minutes ago, StarMoonCZ said:

If you have another fan header I would plug it into their to diagnose if its the fan header or the fan. The next thing to do is go into bios and check your fan curve if the fan still isn't spinning. Take note what header your fan is plugged in so you can turn up the RPM's to test if the fan is able to spin. If no fan spin then try a fan you know that is spinning and plug it into the same fan header and if it spins then you know for sure the fan is broken.

2 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

If you have another fan header I would plug it into their to diagnose if its the fan header or the fan. The next thing to do is go into bios and check your fan curve if the fan still isn't spinning. Take note what header your fan is plugged in so you can turn up the RPM's to test if the fan is able to spin. If no fan spin then try a fan you know that is spinning and plug it into the same fan header and if it spins then you know for sure the fan is broken.

Well I think the fan is okay because when i help it a litlle bit it start to spin with no problem. It just doesnt start on its own.

8 minutes ago, StarMoonCZ said:

Well I think the fan is okay because when i help it a litlle bit it start to spin with no problem. It just doesnt start on its own.

Yeah that sounds the the bearings are going out on the fan. Might be time to replace it...

5 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Yeah that sounds the the bearings are going out on the fan. Might be time to replace it...

Wtf, its brand new. And what do you mean by bearings going out on the fan?

7 minutes ago, StarMoonCZ said:

Wtf, its brand new. And what do you mean by bearings going out on the fan?

So bearings are how fans spin. There are fluid bearings which are the cheapest to make and fail the quickest, its how the fan spins. Then there is ball bearing fans, mid range fan lasts longer and can be oriented any which way and it will work just fine. Then there is Magnetic bearings which is using magnets to levitate where the fan blade is so its a lot quieter cause there is no parts rubbing against each other and they last a long time.

What fan did you buy? A link would help a lot too. That is odd they failed so quickly though, how long have you had it for? May also be faulty fan.

4 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

So bearings are how fans spin. There are fluid bearings which are the cheapest to make and fail the quickest, its how the fan spins. Then there is ball bearing fans, mid range fan lasts longer and can be oriented any which way and it will work just fine. Then there is Magnetic bearings which is using magnets to levitate where the fan blade is so its a lot quieter cause there is no parts rubbing against each other and they last a long time.

What fan did you buy? A link would help a lot too. That is odd they failed so quickly though, how long have you had it for? May also be faulty fan.

Its brand new. Its the one in ASUS TUF GT301 case. Had it for few weeks

5 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Have you tried checking the bios fan curve as well? 

I dont really know what should I look for in there as I have never changed any fan settings in any way.

20 minutes ago, StarMoonCZ said:

I dont really know what should I look for in there as I have never changed any fan settings in any way.

How many wires come off the fan and go into the little connector? Should be 3 or 4. If it's 4, set the fan header to PWM in BIOS. If it's 3, set it to DC in BIOS. That'll be under fan control. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

13 hours ago, StarMoonCZ said:

Then as someone else mentioned, if you're able to move it to another fan header to see if it behaves the same way.

Looks like the ASUS software you need to check fan curves is Fan Xpert 4, which is part of ASUS software package called AI Suite 3. Do you have it installed already?

9 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

How many wires come off the fan and go into the little connector? Should be 3 or 4. If it's 4, set the fan header to PWM in BIOS. If it's 3, set it to DC in BIOS. That'll be under fan control. 

I just checked and all my front Fans are connected to a little hub which is connected to MB. In bios the first fan is grey(others are white) But they all are connected to the MB by one cable. I have tried both PWM and DC in bios but neither of them started the fan. 

7 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Then as someone else mentioned, if you're able to move it to another fan header to see if it behaves the same way.

Looks like the ASUS software you need to check fan curves is Fan Xpert 4, which is part of ASUS software package called AI Suite 3. Do you have it installed already?

I do have it installed but I dont have Fan Xpert anywhere

Screenshot 2022-05-22 110625.png

14 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

What’s on your list when you click the menu button on the left?

image.thumb.jpeg.3034cae5cc2cec31ee019e4fb2733147.jpeg

My tab has much less options.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 125712.png

54 minutes ago, StarMoonCZ said:

My tab has much less options.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 125712.png

🤔 maybe your motherboard model doesn’t support it.

Is this yours? It says it does…

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B660-PLUS-WIFI-D4/

Maybe you need to download it separately & add it.

Can you find the link to your motherboard?

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

🤔 maybe your motherboard model doesn’t support it.

Is this yours? It says it does…

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B660-PLUS-WIFI-D4/

Maybe you need to download it separately & add it.

Can you find the link to your motherboard?

Yes, that is my motherboard. I just tried to redownload the software straight from the website but still same options.