ATX 3.0 = new psu?

RathOX

was wondering if the new ATX 3.0 standard we would need a new PSU for it or can current PSUS use the new standard. i will be grabbing 13th gen intel and the top end 4XXX Series GPU

i have the CM V1200 atm (2015) and was wondering due to the new standards if one would need to grab a new psu.

its pita cuz my v1200 is on its last legs so i need a new psu but trying to hold out alap incase we need a 'new' style psu

Welcome to the forums!

Even if the current standard is deprecated, a PSU you buy today will be useful for easily long enough that you shouldn't worry

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

Even if the current standard is deprecated, a PSU you buy today will be useful for easily long enough that you shouldn't worry

even if im grabbing 13th series / top end 4xxx gpu? will intel not add the 12vo to the boards for power instead of the 24 pin? just wondering cuz i can get a deal on a AX1600i atm. i know corsair are doing the 12vhpwr work around connector for gpus

To quote Linus: futureproofing is for idiots
It's highly likely that there will be mobos which accept current standards for a long time, and if you get a fully modular PSU, it should have a cable conversion kit released that will allow you to swap standards.聽

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

19 minutes ago, OddOod said:

To quote Linus: futureproofing is for idiots
It's highly likely that there will be mobos which accept current standards for a long time, and if you get a fully modular PSU, it should have a cable conversion kit released that will allow you to swap standards.聽

thank you. just didnt wanna spend hunderds on a PSU to then swap it out in 2 months lmao

2 hours ago, RathOX said:

even if im grabbing 13th series / top end 4xxx gpu? will intel not add the 12vo to the boards for power instead of the 24 pin? just wondering cuz i can get a deal on a AX1600i atm. i know corsair are doing the 12vhpwr work around connector for gpus

A couple things:

PCIe 5.0 is not ATX 3.0.聽 PCIe 5.0 is a subset of ATX 3.0.聽聽

Secondly, it's not up to Intel to force board partners to change to ATX12VO.聽 That's up to the board partners.

Just like how Nvidia went with the 12-pin connector for FE Ampere cards, but AIB partners continued to use the 8-pin PCIe.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

A couple things:

PCIe 5.0 is not ATX 3.0.聽 PCIe 5.0 is a subset of ATX 3.0.聽聽

Secondly, it's not up to Intel to force board partners to change to ATX12VO.聽 That's up to the board partners.

Just like how Nvidia went with the 12-pin connector for FE Ampere cards, but AIB partners continued to use the 8-pin PCIe.

so i should be fine with just grabbing a new PSU & not having to worry whats round the corner yet.

4 hours ago, RathOX said:

so i should be fine with just grabbing a new PSU & not having to worry whats round the corner yet.

Yep. Absolutely.聽

On 5/20/2022 at 4:17 AM, RathOX said:

I guess you'll need like a 1KW-rated ATX12V v2.5 PSU for next flagship single GPU, but if it's ATX12V v3.0 standard you'll only need ~800W rated power, since it can handle a much larger peak load than the ATX12V v2.5 legacy platform.