SATA HDD or SSD for gaming storage

CheeseNg
Go to solution Solved by FalseControl,

Since you are using a laptop I would say an SSD is safer then a Hard Drive. Jolts, drops (LINUS), or moving while on the Hard Drive is more likely to fail. Personally I have had 2 hard drives in laptops fail on me so SSD would be what I go with personally 

I current using Lenovo Legion Y530 with a 480GB Corsair MP510 NVME drive for OS, study and gaming. I am planing to buy another 1TB SATA drive for some of the 3A games and also personal data since there is no enough space for my current NVME drive.

Does any other performance leak  instead of the loading time while using a SATA HDD?

I also worry about the lifespan of the SSD since personal data will be in place...

Should I just buy a SATA HDD or SATA SSD?

For SSD I am looking Crucial MX500 and HDD I am looking Seagate Barracuda Pro.

Any suggestion? 

Since you are using a laptop I would say an SSD is safer then a Hard Drive. Jolts, drops (LINUS), or moving while on the Hard Drive is more likely to fail. Personally I have had 2 hard drives in laptops fail on me so SSD would be what I go with personally 

Nobody put HDD in laptops anymore since like 2018? SSDs are cheap and they barely make 2.5" HDDs anymore. If you actually see any for sale they're either old or used, best to stay away from them.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Depends on the games you wanna play. If the game is heavy on loading assets all the time, stick to an SSD. However, if it's an older game or a less resource intensive game like (LoL) using an HDD is fine.

I still have a 7 year old 2TB Western Digital Black on my Desktop PC. I mostly store just movies, music and videos there, but also install games that don't load too much like Neverwinter Nights and even DOTA2. On my SSD, I put the heavier titles on there like Battlefield 4, Monster Hunter Rise, Genshin Impact and Metro Exodus.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

4 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Nobody put HDD in laptops anymore since like 2018? SSDs are cheap and they barely make 2.5" HDDs anymore. If you actually see any for sale they're either old or used, best to stay away from them.

Not entirely true, depends where you live, Canada computers has lots of 2.5 HDD's, 2TB < $100, 1TB < $60 all new.  SSD is the way to go if you have the budget, but if you just want some more space and have limited budget an HDD will work, just load times will be a little slower...

21 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

True. I'm using this laptop less than 2 years, it use to have a 1TB HDD in that Laptop before but it failled few weeks ago with no reason.

Sadly, most of the service center in my country does not provide hard drive repair service. But even it have, it 2 times or more costly compare to just buy a new one and I have no choice to pay it since the data is valuable... 

Just now, CheeseNg said:

True. I'm using this laptop less than 2 years, it use to have a 1TB HDD in that Laptop before but it failled few weeks ago with no reason.

Sadly, most of the service center in my country does not provide hard drive repair service. But even it have, it 2 times or more costly compare to just buy a new one and I have no choice to pay it since the data is valuable... 

Maybe do it yourself? Would be a lot cheaper.

Here's a video and it doesn't look too hard to do. The drive is right on top as well so not too much to tear down.

7 minutes ago, Allan B said:

Not entirely true, depends where you live, Canada computers has lots of 2.5 HDD's, 2TB < $100, 1TB < $60 all new.  SSD is the way to go if you have the budget, but if you just want some more space and have limited budget an HDD will work, just load times will be a little slower...

Yup, the spec is the same as mine country and it depend on the budget. And normally they sold a low storage NVME drive and with a large SATA HDD, or just a 500GB NVME drive and empty SATA slot... Hardly to find a spec with large NVME drive with a SATA SSD which mean we have to pay more to have some upgrade by our own.

13 minutes ago, Xiee said:

Depends on the games you wanna play. If the game is heavy on loading assets all the time, stick to an SSD. However, if it's an older game or a less resource intensive game like (LoL) using an HDD is fine.

I still have a 7 year old 2TB Western Digital Black on my Desktop PC. I mostly store just movies, music and videos there, but also install games that don't load too much like Neverwinter Nights and even DOTA2. On my SSD, I put the heavier titles on there like Battlefield 4, Monster Hunter Rise, Genshin Impact and Metro Exodus.

Yes, this is what I am thinking.

17 minutes ago, Xiee said:

This is what I planning to. Some of the games is too large (like more than 100GB per game) and put it in a HDD will drop the performance? I know the load time will be longer compare to SDD (I can take it) but any other performance leak?

10 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Maybe do it yourself? Would be a lot cheaper.

Here's a video and it doesn't look too hard to do. The drive is right on top as well so not too much to tear down.

Yeah, i think it will work. Since it already passed the warrenty and just open it up and make some changes. XD

People are right in saying that HDD is fine for games that don't need to load lots of assets all the time, however one thing to also take into account is your network speed. 

I have gigabit and when downloading via steam I don't get more than 15-20MB/sec download to my HDD but upto 110MB/sec to my Nvme or Ssd. I mean  I could have a problem with the HDD and its very anecdotal but I wanted to share that.