Cpu dead or bios chip?

Zarudain

I have an asus rog x99 gaming mobo fitted with an i7 6800k 

My sister gave it to me stating that it just switched off whilst she was using it and isn't powering on anymore. It goes on, switches lights on and immediately switches off then. 

I've tried bios flashback with external USB, cmos clear etc. The ram I know is working. I've taken out the cpu and tried switching it on and I get the exact same result. I've also taken out the bios chip and tested it and again, same thing, lights up and immediately powers off then retries infinitely. Does anyone have the bios chip diagram or know how I can test it using a voltage meter/tester? 

4 minutes ago, Zarudain said:

I have an asus rog x99 gaming mobo fitted with an i7 6800k 

My sister gave it to me stating that it just switched off whilst she was using it and isn't powering on anymore. It goes on, switches lights on and immediately switches off then. 

I've tried bios flashback with external USB, cmos clear etc. The ram I know is working. I've taken out the cpu and tried switching it on and I get the exact same result. I've also taken out the bios chip and tested it and again, same thing, lights up and immediately powers off then retries infinitely. Does anyone have the bios chip diagram or know how I can test it using a voltage meter/tester? 

You could order another bios chip off ebay, I doubt it will fix your issue though.

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

x99 has a VERY bad habit of self destruction. You are gonna need another motherboard to test and see it the motherboard died. 

I dont think x99 had bios flashback, could be wrong though. 

It has the button and I checked the manual to do it. It never stopped flashing when doing bios flashback and kept loading for days. That's why I think it's the bios chip

23 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

You could order another bios chip off ebay, I doubt it will fix your issue though.

Thats useless when cheap usb bios programmers exist like the ch341a, bios chips are a scam and you should just reprogram it yourself with a cheapo bios programmer

Also try dunking/spraying everything that is slotted/socketed (incl cpu socket) with 99% IPA just to make sure it isnt some stupid dust thats causing this

last resort would be straight up dunking it in water by fully discharging the board (take out cmos, short clr cmos for a min or 2), taking off heatsinks, and dunking it in a bucket of water for an hour or 2, ultrasonic cleaner and dishwasher will also work but unsure of how to do it in a dishwasher, shake off as much water as you can and let it dry for 2-5 days, This has worked once when even my 99% IPA cleaning method didnt work