Play a computer game using the light from the headlights of a car?

DonCarlos

Well, Audi seem to think its worth doing...interesting tech if nothing else (the screenshot is a lie, it's a lot more basic than Forza Horizon 5).

Skip to 6:30 to see it in action...basic but very cool. Watch the whole video for curved OLED and other goodies 

*Edit* submitted before I had finished; do you think you'd use this tech? If they improve the tech and you could plug a PC or PlayStation into it, you'd could own a 300bhp mobile projector! 

16 minutes ago, DonCarlos said:

Well, Audi seem to think its worth doing...interesting tech if nothing else (the screenshot is a lie, it's a lot more basic than Forza Horizon 5).

Skip to 6:30 to see it in action...basic but very cool. Watch the whole video for curved OLED and other goodies 

*Edit* submitted before I had finished; do you think you'd use this tech? If they improve the tech and you could plug a PC or PlayStation into it, you'd could own a 300bhp mobile projector! 

One of the great difficulties of projector video is incredibly even backlight.  They used to make weird waffle shaped cfls that ran incredibly hot with short lives to do this.  Such even light is something headlights just don’t need.  It could possibly come anyway as a side effect of their technology, in which case, why not throw an lcd mask in front of it and boom, video, but without such there would be hotspots so bad the video would not be watchable.  They are apparently putting DLP (it’s not like DLP, it IS DLP.  The Texas Instruments is a giveaway) DLP is the cheap projector system.  They’re known for flicker and unreadable text.  There are some video games that just wouldn’t work well.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

0 legitimate demand for something like this.  It will sell for novelty.  It has little practical benefit.  $600 will get you an M7 projector, a foldable screen and a tripod to put your projector on (so it squarely aims at the screen).

So beyond the logistics of "how do you keystone correct", "how do you assure you are perfectly perpendicular to the projector surface", "how do you adjust focus and image size" and a litany of other concerns; there's the simple fact that you can do better with well under a grand.

Go buy a used FR-S and the aforementioned setup, and you can have a sports car + portable gaming for < $20.  There, I just saved you $40,000.

If you have enough money to buy that car then I feel like it would make more sense to just buy a big ass oled TV or something like that to play games on. It would also drain the battery of the car. Then again, it would be pretty cool to tell your friends that you tea bagged the racist 12 year old in COD on a car projection screen.

Specs: 11700 | RTX 3060 | 32gb 3200mhz | 1tb 970 + 2TB HDD | Lian Li O11D Mini X Black

I'm 15 and live in the US

Something just occurred to me: for $300 you can get someone to duct tape a cheap DLP protector to the hood of any car and run it off a transformer.  A 60k car turned into a $300 (or less) projector?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, cat milker said:

If you have enough money to buy that car then I feel like it would make more sense to just buy a big ass oled TV or something like that to play games on. It would also drain the battery of the car. Then again, it would be pretty cool to tell your friends that you tea bagged the racist 12 year old in COD on a car projection screen.

*imagines how tiny and scarred cat milker’s  hands must be* 

electric cars have massive batteries and one of DLP’s selling points is that it’s seriously energy efficient. I doubt it would be much of a thing. A couple “miles” of range for an hour or two of video.  The headlights would use more power than the projection system.

6 hours ago, IPD said:

0 legitimate demand for something like this.  It will sell for novelty.  It has little practical benefit.  $600 will get you an M7 projector, a foldable screen and a tripod to put your projector on (so it squarely aims at the screen).

So beyond the logistics of "how do you keystone correct", "how do you assure you are perfectly perpendicular to the projector surface", "how do you adjust focus and image size" and a litany of other concerns; there's the simple fact that you can do better with well under a grand.

Go buy a used FR-S and the aforementioned setup, and you can have a sports car + portable gaming for < $20.  There, I just saved you $40,000.

It absolutely it will be a novelty, but the tech is impressive. Who is to say that Audi wouldn't go down the Telsa route and include games with the car in the infotainment system? Then when you are waiting to pick someone up and you are close to a building; WHAMMY. Gaming on a huge screen! Or you could watch your favourite old time black and white film on it 😄

In all seriousness, though, the tech could have a lot of implications for normal projectors in terms of image stability, light source tech etc. I just thought it was an interesting tech demo and not something I would expect from a car manufacturer.

Whats the specs? cpu, gpu, ram?

They dont expect you to just DIY a pc in there, do they?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity