2 PCs have the same Public IP

Pog Bob
Go to solution Solved by Pog Bob,

So the Solution was connect it to Wi-Fi and not Ethernet, It is an issue with the xfi router. They came out with a new router and they are sending us one for free cause this one isnt working. But I can see the device after connecting with Wi-Fi so I will take it for the time being.

I have 2 PCs that are connected to a switch that is an unmanaged switch. I am having an issue where they have the same public IP, I need the second computer to have a diff public IP. I have tried releasing and renewing the IP through CMD and unplugging my router for 30 mins, nothing work. Any solutions? 

your public IP will always be the same for anything behind a NAT. You cannot have 2 IPs with 1 connection. you have private IPs and Public IPs. you can set up port forwarding if you have access to the router to allow public access to a pc through a specific port, but the IPs will be the same. 

4 minutes ago, TheBean said:

your public IP will always be the same for anything behind a NAT. You cannot have 2 IPs with 1 connection. you have private IPs and Public IPs. you can set up port forwarding if you have access to the router to allow public access to a pc through a specific port, but the IPs will be the same. 

Ok that is what I thought originally but I thought I might be wrong. I cant port forward the computer because for some reason it doesn't show up on the xfi app which means I cant port forward.

4 minutes ago, Pog Bob said:

Ok that is what I thought originally but I thought I might be wrong. I cant port forward the computer because for some reason it doesn't show up on the xfi app which means I cant port forward.

how are you checking what IP your computer has? If you're doing an online lookup, then it will show the same IP since that is what your router is assigned by your ISP. You need your LAN IP. You can get that by opening command prompt and typing in ipconfig. You will locate your Ethernet Adapter similar to this and you will see an IP address, likely 192.168.x.x 

image.png.cfc87cbab8eca45c056ba662ff43dfd1.png

Once you have this IP address, this is what you will need to setup the port forwards to. Also make sure you set that IP as static in your DHCP pool to that machine otherwise if your machine changes IP it will cause problems and break the Port forwards. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Once you have this IP address, this is what you will need to setup the port forwards to. Also make sure you set that IP as static in your DHCP pool to that machine otherwise if your machine changes IP it will cause problems and break the Port forwards. 

It not being in the static pool is also likely why the app isn't showing it in the port forwarding list, it has to be set static first.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

also try to avoid using the app xfi provides. do you have direct access to the router gateway and can you change the settings from there?

1 hour ago, Pog Bob said:

reason it doesn't show up on the xfi app which means I cant port forwar

Thats because Comcast the rtards they are have half the settings in their app and the other half you have to log directly in to the gateway to change. Im so happy we dont use their equipment. 

1 hour ago, Pog Bob said:

ame public IP,

Comcast only gives you ONE IPv4 address, unless you pay for additional addresses, even then that may or may not be an option on residential service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

how are you checking what IP your computer has? If you're doing an online lookup, then it will show the same IP since that is what your router is assigned by your ISP. You need your LAN IP. You can get that by opening command prompt and typing in ipconfig. You will locate your Ethernet Adapter similar to this and you will see an IP address, likely 192.168.x.x 

image.png.cfc87cbab8eca45c056ba662ff43dfd1.png

I can't port forward one the router gateway, It redirects me to xfi which none on my computers currently online are showing up on.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

It not being in the static pool is also likely why the app isn't showing it in the port forwarding list, it has to be set static first.

I checked it was part/should be in the static pool. I might be wrong. So could you help me check to see if it is and if not lmk how to do it?

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

also try to avoid using the app xfi provides. do you have direct access to the router gateway and can you change the settings from there?

Ya you can change a lot but portforwrding and some other settings all have to be done on xfi.

2 minutes ago, Pog Bob said:

I can't port forward one the router gateway, It redirects me to xfi which none on my computers currently online are showing up on.

I checked it was part/should be in the static pool. I might be wrong. So could you help me check to see if it is and if not lmk how to do it?

Ya you can change a lot but portforwrding and some other settings all have to be done on xfi.

This is not promising: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/port-forwarding-without-xfi/602dafa6c5375f08cd12d8c0 (the first few posts)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

52 minutes ago, Pog Bob said:

You could always buy your own cable modem and router and not have this problem. Just a thought. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You could always buy your own cable modem and router and not have this problem. Just a thought. 

only if parents and money wasn't a problem I would already have, lol

• 2 weeks later...

So the Solution was connect it to Wi-Fi and not Ethernet, It is an issue with the xfi router. They came out with a new router and they are sending us one for free cause this one isnt working. But I can see the device after connecting with Wi-Fi so I will take it for the time being.