Should I try to install openwrt on my Xiaomi Mi Router 4a Gigabit?

DanWhite

Is it like, no big deal? or could I mess up something and I'm better off leaving it as it is, the reason I would want install it is because the software or whatever it comes with doesn't have any settings to change basically. Problem is, there dont seem to be any tutorials for windows 10

1 hour ago, DanWhite said:

Is it like, no big deal? or could I mess up something and I'm better off leaving it as it is, the reason I would want install it is because the software or whatever it comes with doesn't have any settings to change basically. Problem is, there dont seem to be any tutorials for windows 10

Installing OpenWRT on most routers is a risk, as you have to bypass the protections put in place to prevent you flashing it so if you mess up any step the results can be very hard to recover from.

There's a lot of caveats with that model https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_mi_router_4a_gigabit_edition

Its absolutely worth it if you're up for it, but you have to be very calm, methodical and patient.  Follow the instructions precisely and be prepared for what can go wrong.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Installing OpenWRT on most routers is a risk, as you have to bypass the protections put in place to prevent you flashing it so if you mess up any step the results can be very hard to recover from.

There's a lot of caveats with that model https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_mi_router_4a_gigabit_edition

Its absolutely worth it if you're up for it, but you have to be very calm, methodical and patient.  Follow the instructions precisely and be prepared for what can go wrong.

Too complicated, no english video tutorial or anything, I'm not gonna risk it to do it for now with the amount of information available to follow on how to do it currently

2 hours ago, DanWhite said:

Too complicated, no english video tutorial or anything, I'm not gonna risk it to do it for now with the amount of information available to follow on how to do it currently

Fair point, that is one of the most complicated ones I've seen and I've flashed OpenWRT by soldering a serial connection to the router before.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7