upgrade from a 4790k

hi 

i looking to upgrade my pc but i kind lost on the cpu choice. it a gaming only pc.  i'm in canada so hesitate between a 5600x (279$) and a 12400f(219$) who seem to be the best value/performance, i have a 6800xt as a gpu and will be gaming at 1440p. 

Honestly, here I'd go with the Alder Lake part. You'll want to faster single threaded performance if it's gaming only. My opinion.

7 minutes ago, drunk_donkey said:

hi 

i looking to upgrade my pc but i kind lost on the cpu choice. it a gaming only pc.  i'm in canada so hesitate between a 5600x (279$) and a 12400f(219$) who seem to be the best value/performance, i have a 6800xt as a gpu and will be gaming at 1440p. 

Both the 5600 and 12400F perform within margin of error of each other, trading blows. Pick whichever ends up being the cheaper upgrade erring on the side of Alder Lake since it's not a dead socket. 

5600 non x is cheaper, you can overclock it and save $20 for better motherboard.

performance wise, it's pretty similar.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

41 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Both the 5600 and 12400F perform within margin of error of each other, trading blows. Pick whichever ends up being the cheaper upgrade erring on the side of Alder Lake since it's not a dead socket. 

Well, the way Intel does sockets I wouldn't say it's not a dead socket. lol. I've been burned a lot by that. I'm a Senior Network Admin for US East, so most of what I do is with network equipment... but from work I know that intel has like 30 sockets. AMD has AM4 and the new one. While AM4 going forward is definitely dead, what about the forward compatibility of the new socket. Possibly wait for the new Zen4/socket?

15 minutes ago, TheBeezNeez said:

Well, the way Intel does sockets I wouldn't say it's not a dead socket. lol. I've been burned a lot by that. I'm a Senior Network Admin for US East, so most of what I do is with network equipment... but from work I know that intel has like 30 sockets. AMD has AM4 and the new one. While AM4 going forward is definitely dead, what about the forward compatibility of the new socket. Possibly wait for the new Zen4/socket?

It still has another generation on it, that much has been confirmed by Intel. AM4 has no more CPUs being released for it. 

Going Zen 4 is an option, yes, but we're still 3-6 months away which is more than a lot of people are willing to wait, plus then you'll likely have to deal with early teething issues on AM5. If you're coming from a 4790K I would not feel bad about going 12400(F) today, especially since you will be able to go up to something like the 13900(K) if you want to upgrade down the road without changing the board out. Yes it's not as good as AMD, but the first year of boards on an AMD socket usually doesn't get great support anyway. 

You've said you've been burned by Intel before, I've been burned by AMD just the same way. I adopted X370 very early on with an MSI X370 SLI Plus and a R7 1700. That board didn't get support for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 series) until the Ryzen 5000 series had been released for a month or two, meaning that when I wanted to upgrade to something better, I had to get a new board anyway. AMD has the better track record with supporting motherboards, yes, but that doesn't mean that they don't have their problems trying to get those boards to support everything, and while they might eventually get support for all the CPUs, it's still down to the board vendor how well that's gonna go. You might get lucky with a vendor that puts in support for the new chips that only might be supported (X370 was never guaranteed to get Ryzen 3000 series support, it was just said that it could) pretty quickly, or you could get shafted and have to buy a new board anyway, and there really isn't a way to tell which is gonna happen. 

I'm not saying Intel is perfect, hell no, I still prefer AMD's system since you get more boards that work with more CPUs, it just that the boards are only guaranteed 1 generation after release and should realistically be treated as such, with everything after the 2 generations being hit or miss depending on how your board vendor feels that day and should be treated as extra.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Going Zen 4 is an option, yes, but we're still 3-6 months away which is more than a lot of people are willing to wait, plus then you'll likely have to deal with early teething issues on AM5.

Also Zen 4 is DDR5 only, which costs a lot more than DDR4 now, and even if it will be cheaper by the time Zen 4 comes out, it probably won't be anywhere near DDR4 prices, particularly for kits that aren't trash.

Thanks a lot everyone , I choose a MSI b660 pro a and the 12400f for now . Next step will be to look for rams 

Thank again