Suggestions for Wi-Fi to Ethernet adapter - Network from 2nd floor apartment to basement.

Simon Bruun

Hi Guys

I've been pushing this little project of mine in front of me for a few years now, and thought maybe some outside inputs could help me get started. 

I have this extra PC I use as a hobby server/nas. 

Right now it is standing in the corner of our living room.

But the plan has always been to put it in our basement room. 

I don't want to drill a hole from inside our apartment out to the shared stairwell.

So I need some sort of wireless solution to get network signal from inside the apartment to the stairwell. 

Once inside the stairwell I'll be able to use cables all the way to our basement room. 

I would say the signal needs to pass one, maybe two, brick or concrete walls, but otherwise not very far. my phone have great wi-fi signal inside the stairwell. 

My solution right now is to get a Access Point and use it as a Wi-fi to Ethernet adapter, and then use around 50m cat cable down to the basement. 

We live on 2nd floor, and need to down to -1 basement level, and then through a sort pathway to the basement rooms. 

There are holes and cable managers all the way down to the basement room from the stairwell.  

Looking for comments on the idea, and/or specific recommended devices names if you have them. 

I have used this before and had great success TP-LINK TL-WR802N

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

37 minutes ago, LiamApex said:

I have used this before and had great success TP-LINK TL-WR802N

Thanks dude, that looks sweet. might be exactly what I'm looking for. 

5 hours ago, Simon Bruun said:

Thanks dude, that looks sweet. might be exactly what I'm looking for. 

That's really old, going to be very slow.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7