Wifi drops a lot from heavy usage???!!!

sodalover

I have a desktop with a wireless adaptor (d link dwa 582) in my pcie slot. lately ive noticed that my wifi will DROP like a rock during game downloads if i also do something that needs wifi internet access (browsing, youtube, work) i know its not the router because my phone and every other wireless thing still connects and work fine. i either have to turn the windows 10 wifi settings off/on, click on the SSID, or even restart windows, which is getting ooold fast. 

i rarely if ever get drops during normal usage (game, youtube, browsing). it only seems to be download + other usage. my max download speed is only 6mbs anyway, so its not a lot of data, right?

i have never had this issue with my previous 2 desktops, a jank i7 920 + gigabyte mobo (from 13 years ago), and a 3570k + z77 mobo, both also using the same wireless adaptor. i just upgraded to a ryzen 5600 + b550 mobo, which im really hoping is not the root of the issue.

the adaptor has the latest driver, i have restart my computer, re-insert the card, tighten the antennas, but nothing seems to fix this issue. its so strange that i dont even know how to google. a lot of results are for laptops. has anyone ran into this problem before?

PCI based wifi adapters are horrible. I swear they make the things bad on purpose to force you to pay for wiring companies to install physical ethernet. 

I would try forcing the adapter to either 2.4 or 5ghz and see if the issue changes. 

Personally for desktops I prefer a USB wifi dongle (a good one) with a foot long USB extension cable. 

13 hours ago, sodalover said:

has anyone ran into this problem before?

Could be a few issues. Maybe your card is overheating, I know the AC WIFI chipset was known to run hot and that could be the issue. It could be crappy drivers. Sometimes the latest drivers are not the best option, you could try installing older drivers to see if there is any change. Bad signal strength could cause issues and interference. Could be a faulty WiFi adapter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

PCI based wifi adapters are horrible. I swear they make the things bad on purpose to force you to pay for wiring companies to install physical ethernet. 

I would try forcing the adapter to either 2.4 or 5ghz and see if the issue changes. 

Personally for desktops I prefer a USB wifi dongle (a good one) with a foot long USB extension cable. 

That's the complete opposite of most peoples experiences.  USB are the unreliable ones as they are more likely to overheat, are less efficient and have less power.

PCIe WiFi are literally the same as what are in laptops.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

plus, this card has never drop connections during downloads + browsing/youtubing on my much older setups, so it would be strange for the card to act up now, no?

9 hours ago, sodalover said:

plus, this card has never drop connections during downloads + browsing/youtubing on my much older setups, so it would be strange for the card to act up now, no?

First rule of computers, its not strange for anything to act up at any time. 😉

I'd be asking myself, has there been an OS update?  Is the "latest driver" different version to what it was working with before?  Newer isn't always better, there are rare occasions bugs can creep in.

One thing I tend to do if having problems is try to find out what the WiFi chipset itself is and find a driver from the chip manufacturer rather than the card manufacturer.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7