Stupidly long 4K HDMI cables?

Harry Voyager
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

HDMI cables, especially 4k 60hz ones can't be long by design.

Workaround to this is to run the video signal over fibre, either ethernet or thunderbolt. It isn't cheap, but it works.

Here is one tutorial I found to do it over fibre in different ways, seemed cheaper than optical thunderbolt solutions:

https://www.techreviewer.com/learn-about-tech/hdmi-over-ethernet/

The 100meter Fibre optic HDMI 2.0 cable seems like the cheapest option.

But if you only want that to run 1 benchmark, I really don't see why you couldn't create a custom resolution in nvidia or amd control panel and set it to 3840x2160@60hz, and then test. Nothing bests free.

Doing some bench marking for a niche game I play, and one of the things we're always trying to test is performance at 4k. I've got a 1440p monitor because I don't need 4k myself, but we did finally get a 4k TV in the living room.

Catch is, it's 50+ feet away from my desktop. My desktop is sort of in the back of my officenest, weights an absolute ton, and has its own small forest of peripherals. Moving it is officially not fun. 

The TV is a 4k TV. Moving it is officially not fun. Also the spouse would highly not approve. 

I'm wondering, are there good ways to run an HDMI signal a stupidly long way so I could just plug Goliath into the TV, and run stuff through there? 

We did look at ways of emulating a 4k screen, but all of them ended up being inconsistent. 

For reference, the whole testing crazy is this thread: SYN_Vander BENCHMARK v6 to measure IL-2 performance in monitor & VR - Page 21 - Hardware, Software and Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/66924-syn_vander-benchmark-v6-to-measure-il-2-performance-in-monitor-vr/

Yes, flight simmers are crazy. No I am not sorry 🙂

Workaround to this is to run the video signal over fibre, either ethernet or thunderbolt. It isn't cheap, but it works.

Here is one tutorial I found to do it over fibre in different ways, seemed cheaper than optical thunderbolt solutions:

But if you only want that to run 1 benchmark, I really don't see why you couldn't create a custom resolution in nvidia or amd control panel and set it to 3840x2160@60hz, and then test. Nothing bests free.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

10 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Here is one tutorial I found to do it over ethernet, seemed cheaper than optical thunderbolt solutions:

Thank you, I'll try one of the fiber cables. 

We actually did try the custom resolution, but the results are different from 4k, and not in a consistent way. Possibly something odd about the render chain, be we haven't figured out how to solve that yet.

I'm ok spending $60 or so to test this stuff. You should see how much I've already sunk into my hotas and VR setup. Cheaper than a real plane, but still... 

On 4/21/2022 at 2:10 PM, Harry Voyager said:

Thank you, I'll try one of the fiber cables. 

We actually did try the custom resolution, but the results are different from 4k, and not in a consistent way. Possibly something odd about the render chain, be we haven't figured out how to solve that yet.

I'm ok spending $60 or so to test this stuff. You should see how much I've already sunk into my hotas and VR setup. Cheaper than a real plane, but still... 

depending on what fiber cable you use. be careful on bending it to much.(linus mention this in one of the fiber video cables videos.)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC