Windows 7 and 8.1

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Another day, another thread on this topic.

Alright, as you guys know windows 8 has been known to be garbage, but I think many of you heard about the improvements of 8.1 that make it an actually functional OS with few problems now. My computer keeps blue screening, and I have decided now is the chance to upgrade my memory option to a 120gb Samsung Evo SSD and a WD 2tb Black HDD. These two are on the way and this is my chance to upgrade to 8.1. Should I do it or stick to windows 7? 

Windows 8 was not garbage. It was, then Windows 7 would be too, as it's based on it. You should try things instead of listing to people who looked at screen shots and make an opinion out of it. Much like you did with Windows 7. You use Windows 7, you liked it. If you listen to these people making unfounded opinion, you would say how the "new' Start Menu of Windows 7 sucks, and how the task bar is an exact replica of MacOS, and how, as usual ('cause it's always the same story), this new Windows "broke" their PC, and now need to replace their hardware/PC.

Blue screen issues are usually related to hardware problems (faulty RAM making a driver fault, or a hardware actually not working right), or a driver causing a hardware problem which prevents Windows from restarting the driver successfully (a serious driver bug). We need to know more about the blue screen, such as the error you got, to be able us to try and start identifying the problem. I don't think getting Windows 8 will fix it (if it does, then it was a driver issue, and a simple Win7 re-install would have done the same).

Windows 8.x is a nice choice. And the Start Screen is actually pretty good, if you actually give it a chance, and start customizing it, like putting folders, making groups (example: General, Tools, Games, etc), which allows you to lunch them quickly, despite even if it's on the far right side of the screen with a mouse, because you need no precision, which you do need from the start menu, when navigating through folders. And of course, search is always there. Start -> type to search, like WIn7. Or do Win+Q to just get a search panel on the desktop show up, and type and search.

It must be noted however, that it is expected (but nothing announced on Microsoft part, and we know nothing, not even a rumor) that Windows 9 will be released on October or year end in 2015. As there is normally a new Windows every 3 years, but Microsoft might continue with the 8.x versions. We don't know.

Alright, as you guys know windows 8 has been known to be garbage, but I think many of you heard about the improvements of 8.1 that make it an actually functional OS with few problems now. My computer keeps blue screening, and I have decided now is the chance to upgrade my memory option to a 120gb Samsung Evo SSD and a WD 2tb Black HDD. These two are on the way and this is my chance to upgrade to 8.1. Should I do it or stick to windows 7? 

Go with 8.1!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

8.1 is Better.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Rumors of 8's "badness" have been greatly exaggerated.

8 is the better OS, it just has a, slightly, different GUI in some places.

I prefer 7 personally. If you have nothing to gain in using the new start menu (i.e. you don't have a touch screen) then I'd stick with 7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

get win 8.1, better FPS in many games and other useful functions added

go with 8.1.. people hate on it because its new and they are noto used to it, you have to give it a chance

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Windows 8.1! So much wow. So nice Icons much. Have start menu now. WOW

$$金Trill金$$

Windows 8.1 is a must for all gamers due to it being the only OS that supports the latest DX11.2 

+ Its just the best OS (if you get used to the new metro system it becomes alot quicker to navigate and find stuff that a start bar, with stuff in folders bloated to hell)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Windows 8 was not garbage. It was, then Windows 7 would be too, as it's based on it. You should try things instead of listing to people who looked at screen shots and make an opinion out of it. Much like you did with Windows 7. You use Windows 7, you liked it. If you listen to these people making unfounded opinion, you would say how the "new' Start Menu of Windows 7 sucks, and how the task bar is an exact replica of MacOS, and how, as usual ('cause it's always the same story), this new Windows "broke" their PC, and now need to replace their hardware/PC.

Blue screen issues are usually related to hardware problems (faulty RAM making a driver fault, or a hardware actually not working right), or a driver causing a hardware problem which prevents Windows from restarting the driver successfully (a serious driver bug). We need to know more about the blue screen, such as the error you got, to be able us to try and start identifying the problem. I don't think getting Windows 8 will fix it (if it does, then it was a driver issue, and a simple Win7 re-install would have done the same).

Windows 8.x is a nice choice. And the Start Screen is actually pretty good, if you actually give it a chance, and start customizing it, like putting folders, making groups (example: General, Tools, Games, etc), which allows you to lunch them quickly, despite even if it's on the far right side of the screen with a mouse, because you need no precision, which you do need from the start menu, when navigating through folders. And of course, search is always there. Start -> type to search, like WIn7. Or do Win+Q to just get a search panel on the desktop show up, and type and search.

It must be noted however, that it is expected (but nothing announced on Microsoft part, and we know nothing, not even a rumor) that Windows 9 will be released on October or year end in 2015. As there is normally a new Windows every 3 years, but Microsoft might continue with the 8.x versions. We don't know.

If you are buying a new license, go 8(.1), but if you are picking between buy 8.1 or pay nothing for 7, I would personally say stick with 7, but it is your own choice. 8.1 is the better os, but it's not $80 better (disclaimer: I have no idea how much it costs) in my opinion.

HTTP/2 203

Thank you for the detailed input, but this was short and simple post, I wasn't wanting to face the topic of the blue screening it was just a detail that would explain why it is my chance to upgrade to windows 8.1, as I know it's because of my hdd (which is also running out on space), and I was planning on upgrading my memory for a long time anyways. So if for some reason my new OS and new memory don't solve the problem, I still would have upgraded to things I was planning to get soon. But Thank you for giving me a very detailed post instead of saying "go for 8.1," I think you are the final person to make this a for sure purchase for me. If Windows 9 comes around the corner, I think I will wait anyways since new OS's aren't necessarily polished like how windows 8 is as of now.  ;)