How can I fit two gpus in one case?

rimbaud33
Go to solution Solved by Hairless Monkey Boy,

Just mount them normally. The top card will run a bit hotter, but your board has enough spacing that it shouldn't be a huge issue.

And you should get a new PSU that can handle everything.

Ok so, first of all, i dont wanna come off as rude but: please, please, PLEASE dont reply to this with non-answers of why i dont need two gpus, because i do.馃槄

Seems like every single time anyone has asked this before me (and seems like ive already read all of them) all the replies are about convincing them to not have more than one gpu, but my work and my interests (video editing, rendering, AI training, etc) need me to.

With that out of the way, the real topic of why I'm asking for help:

I have a 3080 zotac trinity and a 3060ti asus rog dual is arriving tomorrow and unfortunately i have an nzxt H510 (yeah i know, a hotbox)聽

Case聽(pun intended) and point, i opened up my side panels for airflow and now the h510 that i bought back when i first built this pc for looks... looks bad lol

So i figured out with a second gpu, the case needs to go and i need to sell it and get a new one

So my ideal solution was a lian li dynamic evo because it has support for upright mounting near where a radiator would be if i was using water cooling, plus it has dual PSU support which i might use instead of upgrading and replacing my current (pun intended, again...) one.

But in my country all the lan li ive found except for mini and regular dynamic versions sell for... 200+% markup the lowest, and some for around 650 USD.馃槫聽That is more than what i paid for my 3060ti and this case is supposed to cost around 200-300聽馃槳

So i was wondering if there is any other case with upright gpu mounting support so i can have one gpu with front or side intake fans and another with bottom to top fans or if anyone has mounted two chunky gpus in one of these cases. I have thought of adding a vertical gpu and a regular gpu but that sounds like its gonna make a pocket of air... so i am at a loss, i need the experience of someone who has done this before with a card that runs as hot as a 3080 馃槙

if there is not an option like this that anyone knows, i could still go for a case that will allow me to raise my main gpu one slot (mobo puts it around slots number 2-4) and lower my secondary gpu one or two slots so that it sits in slots 6-7. I assume i'd need extra raisers/PCIE mounts or extensions but im fine with this as long as the case does not cost more than my entire pc聽馃ぃ

any suggestions are welcome, ive been searching the internet for uptight gpu mounting for hours on end and cant for the life of me find anyone who has done this or dual gpu setups with 30 series rtx cards except for very VERY niche and extremely high end cases with lots of looks that i dont need unless theyre strictly a bonus

also my mobo is an atx, its a rog strix bf550

Just mount them normally. The top card will run a bit hotter, but your board has enough spacing that it shouldn't be a huge issue.

BabyBlu聽(Primary):聽

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200聽@ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB聽(RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard:Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/聽LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper聽4x8GB DDR3-2400聽@聽10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/聽LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/聽Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600聽@ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm聽pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP聽A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/聽NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/聽NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard:聽ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in聽RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent聽1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to聽WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse:None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB聽usable space

You mostly need a rather big case (to not choke your bottommost GPU) and a mobo with enough space between the x16 and the x8 slots, but there's no other consideration

System : AMD R9 5900X聽/ Gigabyte聽X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18聽/聽ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /聽聽Eisbaer 280mm AIO聽(with 2xArctic P14 fans)/ 2TB Crucial T500聽 NVme +聽2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDDdrives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/聽聽Alienware AW3420DW 34"120Hz聽3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight聽mouse / Audeze Maxwell聽headphones

Definitely a bigger case is nice if you are really struggling to find room. A new PSU with higher wattage is also a smart idea.

gpu mounts, bigger case, w/e you do provably wont be the most efficient air flow setup. wc would be way better.

with a gpu mount you can mount gpus well anywhere..

the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 is a nice case if you can get it for a good price.

Fractal Design Torrent would be a good case for airflow

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

thanks guys, i will then do it normally

2 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

about this, isnt it bad if one card is in the way of the fans of the other? my mobo has little space between the pcie gpu 1 and pcie gpu2 slots, if it doesnt fit what kind of pcie extension can i use to leave a 1-2 slot space between both gpus?聽

this is a picture to illustrate the little space i have

also now you can see why i wanna change cases, theres no way my gpus wont suffocate in there hahahahaha

IMG_7258.jpg

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

gpu mounts, bigger case, w/e you do provably wont be the most efficient air flow setup. wc would be way better.

with a gpu mount you can mount gpus well anywhere..

the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 is a nice case if you can get it for a good price.

thanks for the suggestion, ill check it out, im considering a lian li dynamic mini as well because its the only one that is basicalyl the same price in my country from them

about watercooling, do i need to mod the gpu plate to wc it? i have no idea how wc works for gpus, just for cpu, my cpu is at pretty good temps, but if by wc im already going to unscrew the plate and play around with it, i might as well be better off changing the thermal pads instead and not wc, right?聽

6 minutes ago, rimbaud33 said:

thanks for the suggestion, ill check it out, im considering a lian li dynamic mini as well because its the only one that is basicalyl the same price in my country from them

about watercooling, do i need to mod the gpu plate to wc it? i have no idea how wc works for gpus, just for cpu, my cpu is at pretty good temps, but if by wc im already going to unscrew the plate and play around with it, i might as well be better off changing the thermal pads instead and not wc, right?聽

well wc would make it so the height would be a max of 2 slot because of the 2 slot pci mount(tectonic you can cut it.. linus has done this a few times..) . and can dump the heat els ware. but if you dont no how to wc and not comfortable of install a block ive my self im hesitate on doing it.

the only thing to get a bigger gap is to have a smaller height gpu, bigger gap mb, use a pci exstention and gpu mount or wc.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

i sapos if you could 3d print a gpu mount and use pcie extensions you could probably make a off set but finding some one that can might be hard but might not because then they can sell it in there store so who knows.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

well wc would make it so the height would be a max of 2 slot because of the 2 slot pci mount(tectonic you can cut it.. linus has done this a few times..) . and can dump the heat els ware. but if you dont no how to wc and not comfortable of install a block ive my self im hesitate on doing it.

the only thing to get a bigger gap is to have a smaller height gpu, bigger gap mb, use a pci exstention and gpu mount or wc.

what kind of backplate do i need for a 3080? does corsair make one?

1 minute ago, rimbaud33 said:

what kind of backplate do i need for a 3080? does corsair make one?

huh the wc gpu water block replace the heat sink on the gpu.

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

huh the wc gpu water block replace the heat sink on the gpu.

yeah but, any wc water block will fit any gpu?

2 minutes ago, rimbaud33 said:

yeah but, any wc water block will fit any gpu?

no you have to buy the block for your specific gpu.

Edited by thrasher_565