Debating CPU upgrade.

Not sure if this is the best place sorry if its not but i am debating weather to upgrade CPU or not. I was planing on upgrading to a 5600X right when it came out but I got frustrated with finding it (a while ago) and gave up to wait for the next gen CPUs but I recently started thinking about it and I'm totally on the fence now.

I have a AMD 1700x CPU custom water cooled with a 480mm EK rad and block

ASUS Croshair VI

Radeon 7 gpu (I sometimes get crap for this but i got the red anodized anniversary one and I think it looks awesome and has treated me well)

16 Gigs 1866  Ram

And a bunch of various speeds of NVME, SSD, and hard drives.

I play mostly sightseeing games at 5120x1440 and don't need super high frame rates if it's consistently over 60 fps I'm fine.

I do also do a small bit of photo editing but really that's not the issue.

Do I upgrade to a new 5800X/5800X 3D now (possibly some new ram) or wait for the next gen and upgrade motherboard and ram too. Mostly I am looking for other peoples opinions as I have gone back and forth a whole bunch with all the pros and cons of both options.

Thanks for your thoughts!

6 minutes ago, SpeedyTheTurtle said:

Do I upgrade to a new 5800X/5800X 3D now (possibly some new ram) or wait for the next gen and upgrade motherboard and ram too.

Did you make sure that the crosshair VI hero supports a Ryzen 7 5800X? A quick check of their product page shows that official support goes to 300 series.

You might consider a Ryzen 9 3900X instead, and a used one at that. The value is actually pretty good on those.

As for waiting until next generation, we're not really sure what the value will be but usually the release of a new generation is just another reason to hunt for good prices on the previous generation (depending on how thrifty of a buyer you are)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you make sure that the crosshair VI hero supports a Ryzen 7 5800X? A quick check of their product page shows that official support goes to 300 series.

There is a beta bios available that should support Ryzen 5000.

But like others said, if you don't need more performance, there's no need for an upgrade.

50 minutes ago, SpeedyTheTurtle said:

480mm EK rad and block

ASUS Croshair VI

If you already have these to support your 1700x then make them useful and not fancy paperweights by overclocking the balls off the cpu, since its 14nm id assume you can run upto intel 14nm spec for voltage (upto 1.52v)

If overclocking the balls off your cpu is giving meh results then theres always upgrading cpu, ryzen 3000 used can go for really cheap so they can be a good deal used, if not then theres the 5700x

I went from Zen 2 to Zen 3 and it was a pretty noticeable bump. Zen 3 does not operate at all like Zen 2. They are nice CPU's. You don't need to worry about chipset drivers and power plans.. If you were looking at a 5800X, those things boost to 5050MHz when tuned, that alone is a good bump from where yours tops out. My 5900X boosts 550MHz higher than my 3600XT did for instance..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I saw a few people saying if it does what i need why upgrade and 2 things to that. First some games like cyberpunk and a few others don't run how I would like them to and I know I will be upgrading for games at some point and I am just deciding when to upgrade. It is a good point though, I haven't seen any benchmarks that would be a good data point as to weather my CPU is holding up my GPU or not any idea where to look?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts I appreciate the perspective!

1 hour ago, SpeedyTheTurtle said:

16 Gigs 1866  Ram

Running at 1866 or 3733?

What's the RAM configuration?

Brand and model of the RAM?

Personal experience was 1st generation Ryzen was quite slow; you'll see a pretty big bump going to newer architectures. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

30 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Running at 1866 or 3733?

What's the RAM configuration?

Brand and model of the RAM?

1866 mega-transfers gskill its the same age as the CPU so relatively old I forget the timings.

7 hours ago, SpeedyTheTurtle said:

1866 mega-transfers gskill its the same age as the CPU so relatively old I forget the timings.

You did not enable DOCP?

1866 dramaticly slow. Better upgrade your RAM to a Crucial 3200C16 kit that runs at 3200 with 1st gen Ryzen. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gCCFf7/crucial-ballistix-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k16g32c16u4b for 32GB or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BxTzK8/crucial-ballistix-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k8g32c16u4b for 16GB

Does 1866 DDR4 even exist in the consumer market? The slowest I've ever seen is 2133 from when Skylake was first released.

I'm guessing that you didn't enable DOCP or that your CPU doesn't support that memory, which wouldn't be that weird when talking about Zen 1.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:03 AM, --SID-- said:

You did not enable DOCP?

1866 dramaticly slow. Better upgrade your RAM to a Crucial 3200C16 kit that runs at 3200 with 1st gen Ryzen. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gCCFf7/crucial-ballistix-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k16g32c16u4b for 32GB or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BxTzK8/crucial-ballistix-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k8g32c16u4b for 16GB

16 hours ago, KaitouX said:

Does 1866 DDR4 even exist in the consumer market? The slowest I've ever seen is 2133 from when Skylake was first released.

I'm guessing that you didn't enable DOCP or that your CPU doesn't support that memory, which wouldn't be that weird when talking about Zen 1.

I am guessing OP is looking at the speed reported by some software in the OS, because base speed of DDR4 is 2133. I don't think OP needs to worry about a memory upgrade.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Any Zen 3 CPU will give his an extra hard spank.  Mems should be ok if they were decent to begin with. Even still, there is a wide variety of DDR4 on the market right now available at a fair price.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

18 hours ago, KaitouX said:

With 4 sticks some RAM don't run faster than 1866 on 1st gen Ryzen.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:59 AM, SpeedyTheTurtle said:

Is your 16GB of RAM 4x4GB?