First time building a Nas

Hey

I want to get a NAS and i want to build it myself and install truenas on it.

The main purpose of the Nas will be Plex streaming ( 1080p with at most 4 Concurrent streams ) and photo storage.

This is the PC I have picked so far.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yp9j2m

I have a spare ssd from my laptop that I currently use as my Plex server. I'll be using this ssd as the boot drive.

I do not know if I need a m.2 ssd for caching so I haven't picked one out.

I haven't picked a GPU because i think the CPU is good enough to transcode the media files in Plex, and the CPU does have Intel graphics so I can install the os.

I would like to know if I missed something for a Nas build or that I should change something.

Get 16gb of ram since you are running a lot of storage + plex. So I assume a hypervisor + truenas and a plex vm? Also make it dual channel extra performance for no extra money!

The only other thing I can recommend is adding some better fans and a better than stock cooler for silent operation. But thats about it. Fun thing about this server is that if you have a plex vm you can just put it under your tv and use it as a htpc too. It's a added nice extra function.

Also the price of the cpu + board combo is extremely close to a 12400 + b660 board combo. So maybe get that? They are even more efficient cpu's and you enter a new platform with WAY more upgrade potential if you ever need more power. Also better igpu.

(I am planning for a nas too)

is it ok to use a desktop motherboard for a 24/7 nas device? and does a desktop motherboard support this kind of storage stress?

Computer: AMD 5900x | PNY RTX 4080 | 32GB DDR4-3600 GSkill Neo | Corsair RM750x

Monitor : Dell 27" 1440@165Hz (S2721DGFA)

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Get 16gb of ram since you are running a lot of storage + plex. So I assume a hypervisor + truenas and a plex vm? Also make it dual channel extra performance for no extra money!

The only other thing I can recommend is adding some better fans and a better than stock cooler for silent operation. But thats about it. Fun thing about this server is that if you have a plex vm you can just put it under your tv and use it as a htpc too. It's a added nice extra function.

Also the price of the cpu + board combo is extremely close to a 12400 + b660 board combo. So maybe get that? They are even more efficient cpu's and you enter a new platform with WAY more upgrade potential if you ever need more power. Also better igpu.

No I do not intent to use VM for this, I'll install truenas with the Plex plug-in

I'll store it in the basement so noisy fans don't bother me.

A htpc is a nice idea but not something I would want right now because my smart tv has everything thing I need on it including steam link which works perfectly for me.

I'll be picking the upgrades you recommended.

Thank you for your advice

I would suggest to swap the PSU for this one/a model with similar wattage to what you need

https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP167001465/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 weeks later...