Steam account has been hijacked? (I think)

Cowy

Hello everyone, i believe my steam account has been hacked, i was kicked off steam and now my email has apparently been changed as well as an incorrect password. Why was i not warned about this, i didn't even get to confirm a password/email change!?!? It' kind of pathetic that a company like valve can't even keep my information safe. 

Cheers  :D 

Message valve support and they'll get it back to you within a week.

I can assure you 100% of the time it was your fault as well.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Valves done a fine job at keeping my information safe.

(As far as im aware)

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

It' kind of pathetic that a company like valve can't even keep my information safe. 

Hold you're horses there, this is most likely on you.

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

"valve can't keep my information safe" 

If it was actually hijacked it is most likely on you.

Also they do send emails when you attempt to change an email.

Just message valve support.

Wen't through my entire inbox, nothing, definitely on them, no warning, no conformation, all i got was: "This email message confirms that your Steam account contact email address has been successfully changed." 

Did all the security precautions and then BAM! 

Wen't through my entire inbox, nothing, definitely on them, no warning, no conformation, all i got was: "This email message confirms that your Steam account contact email address has been successfully changed." 

They probably deleted the emails...Happened with me, cept they forgot to delete one and I had my account back within 4 days.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

They probably deleted the emails...Happened with me, cept they forgot to delete one and I had my account back within 4 days.

Okay, thanks for the info, lets just see how long it takes until steam support replies...

Okay, thanks for the info, lets just see how long it takes until steam support replies...

Seems they are taking longer (says on support page). Maybe a week. Also, change all your passwords associated with your steam account. I had to change:

1. My steam Password

2.My gmail password

3.My hotmail password that was a backup email for my gmail account. (if you use a phone as a backup this won't apply.

Make sure all three of them are really strong to prevent it from happening again.

I now change mine every 3 months as well. i do that for my banks stuff as well

Most likely you fell victim to a phish scam, unfortunately these are very common on steam (trading). You can contact steam support and they will help you retrieve your account back with the correct information. Just a tip, make sure you check that the site your logging into is STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM not something like STEANCOMMUNLTY.COM.

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Valve's customer service is a joke. GL OP!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well just made a new account and it turns out that has the same issue, account can not be found etc. What is going on!?!?!

Well just made a new account and it turns out that has the same issue, account can not be found etc. What is going on!?!?!

If you are making a new account on the same e-mail that your old account was on you are just making Steam Support's job more difficult. Just leave it alone until they get back to you.

I would just create an account here for steam support:https://support.steampowered.com/

and reset your password. Make sure you have some of the game keys that you used in your account to reset ur password+email.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hold you're horses there, this is most likely on you.

you rang?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Valve's customer service is a joke. GL OP!

well they only have like 400 employees, really, most the support, and a lot of the times the best support, its the community

also, have you dealt with rockstar games support? no one sucks more than them

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Hello everyone, i believe my steam account has been hacked, i was kicked off steam and now my email has apparently been changed as well as an incorrect password. Why was i not warned about this, i didn't even get to confirm a password/email change!?!? It' kind of pathetic that a company like valve can't even keep my information safe. 

watch this 

• 3 weeks later...

happened to me to im an idiot .. i got hijacked with a phishing scam

Not to point fingers, but I agree that it was most likely because either you fell victim of a phishing scam (aka you gave your details to scammer) or you have a virus/keylogger on your pc.

I went on steam to try out how to change the email and on the first step they ask:

- password

- new email

What most likely happens is that the new email receive a confirmation request (maybe asking for secret question?) and if successful the email is changed, and you get a notification on your old email like it happened.

That means the scammer has at least your password and your email details and perhaps more.

I'd make sure to scan PC for viruses and change also your own email password, and be aware of fake websites or scams around :)

I think that you'll be able to recover the account easily enough if you can confirm your details, just be patient and dont panic or blame others around.

If you didn't use steam guard they could just have logged in with your password and changed it all, it takes about 20 seconds to gain full access to the account.

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.