Considering a 4k 43" TV to replace 3x 24" monitors

bizzehdee

I currently run 3 1080p 60hz monitors, side by side, as i used to mostly use the machine for work (software dev).

Recently started gaming on my PC again (as well as my xbox series x), and i have been thinking more and more about moving to a 40ish inch 4k 120hz tv as a single display to replace the 3x monitors.

I have found the SONY BRAVIA KD43X89JU 43"  to be reasonably priced, it is 4k and supports 120hz via HDMI 2.1, HDR seems reasonable (not that i use it).

What are the positives and negatives about using a TV instead of a proper monitor, and what are the positives and negatives about going 1x large 4k over 3x smaller 1080p?

12 minutes ago, bizzehdee said:

what are the positives and negatives about going 1x large 4k over 3x smaller 1080p?

thats 100% personal preference , I could say why I prefer it but it doesn't really matter what my preference is.

A better question would be to ask you what YOUR positives and negatives are for the change.

The only common negative from using a TV as a monitor is the sub-pixel layout can make text look a bit weird. This is really a software (Windows) issue and not a display issue. 

https://www.displayninja.com/rgb-vs-bgr-subpixel-layout/

This will vary display to display and there are some Windows tweaks to alleviate the issue. I won't imagine it'll be a big issue at 43" but it'll depend on how close you're sitting and how much you notice/care.

I can't speak to that TV specifically, but make sure you get an HDMI 2.1 display, not a 120Hz*** (motion interpolation garbage) display. Also, one with a built in "PC mode" might be advantageous. 

I use a single 40" 2160p monitor.  IMHO, about the only downside would be whether the TV has the ability to be toggled by the PC software.  Of course, if you don't mind having to turn on/off the monitor each time (worst case) then it doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Colty said:

can't speak to that TV specifically, but make sure you get an HDMI 2.1 display, not a 120Hz*** (motion interpolation garbage) display

It claims "HDMI 2.1 features: 4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM" so i would say that it supports real 120hz, and would appear to support FreeSync too as its VRR capable.

8 hours ago, bizzehdee said:

I currently run 3 1080p 60hz monitors, side by side, as i used to mostly use the machine for work (software dev).

Recently started gaming on my PC again (as well as my xbox series x), and i have been thinking more and more about moving to a 40ish inch 4k 120hz tv as a single display to replace the 3x monitors.

I have found the SONY BRAVIA KD43X89JU 43"  to be reasonably priced, it is 4k and supports 120hz via HDMI 2.1, HDR seems reasonable (not that i use it).

What are the positives and negatives about using a TV instead of a proper monitor, and what are the positives and negatives about going 1x large 4k over 3x smaller 1080p?

TV generally use BGR subpixel (especially on VA) so you will see a major downgrade in text and UI rendering, it tends to also have higher input lag (unless OLED) even with game mode enable. 

The upsize is, well, size. 43 inch is just the best large format display, it's like Ultrawide which also give you vertical space and don't look wierd when display 16:9 content (which is most of the content.) TV also tends to have a much better HDR hardware, but 43 inch model tends to be the extreme budget model for most brand so this may or may not be true (HDR can still look pretty suck even with the hardware as well, especially on the budget side) 

1080p vs 4k on a monitor distance is like the different between displaying 1440p and 720p content on a regular size display. Is it unberably bad? Not really, but certainly not good and very notiecable. 

There's a chance of that TV you're looking for is just Sony X85J. HDR seems to be pretty limtied, I won't hold my breathe for it.

Sony X85J Review (KD-43X85J, KD-50X85J, KD-55X85J, KD-65X85J, KD-75X85J, KD-85X85J) - RTINGS.com 

I currently still use a TV as a Monitor.

Thought to myself, it's cheaper to get a 4K TV than a 4K Monitor, but I would never get a TV as Monitor again.

You always need to have a remote on hand to turn the TV on, every time. It doesn't automatically wake as you turn your PC on. (some TVs could have this feature, but unless they were designed to also be used as a Monitor, I doubt it)

Based on the images I could find about the SONY BRAVIA KD43X89JU, the aspect ratio will look weird when you look at it from a desk. It will be a quite tall display.

TVs as monitors are prone to getting "purple patches".

My screen looks similar to this after about 3 years of use: 
PURPLE SPOTS on Samsung 4k LED UHD TV SCREENS - Samsung Community

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM