Help me get my father back into the tech world!!

PotatoDillon

My father worked for AMD as one of their more major electrical engineers, he worked on many things and I have a list of his patents. I was wondering how to get him back into what he loved before he left and started a business.

Please help me gamers!!!

P.S. pppst Linus I asked his to apply for a job for labs and he said no... I think he would love it though, he still talks to himself about working there and has dreams about playing with all the stuff!

Patents List: https://patents.justia.com/inventor/anthony-mowry

1 hour ago, PotatoDillon said:

and he said no

Don't try to force anything on him. That's what happened to him while he was working for AMD and likely why he's not into tech anymore. 

Yes, it sounds fun working on what you dream about. It gets old quick though. Classic point is mechanics in general. Almost none of us work on our own stuff anymore. We do it for x number of hours a day x number of days a week. We don't want to use "us" time on that. That just feels like working. At home. For free. 

He probably got burnt out. Let it be.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

It's nice that you think your dad had a cool job, and seeing your enthusiasm for tech is probably pleasant for him to some degree too. However... people move on, and that's OK. If he left that field, he did it for a reason.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

It's nice that you think your dad had a cool job, and seeing your enthusiasm for tech is probably pleasant for him to some degree too. However... people move on, and that's OK. If he left that field, he did it for a reason.

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Don't try to force anything on him. That's what happened to him while he was working for AMD and likely why he's not into tech anymore. 

Yes, it sounds fun working on what you dream about. It gets old quick though. Classic point is mechanics in general. Almost none of us work on our own stuff anymore. We do it for x number of hours a day x number of days a week. We don't want to use "us" time on that. That just feels like working. At home. For free. 

He probably got burnt out. Let it be.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Does he even WANT to get back into it?  He probably left the industry for a reason....

He left because the business he started had gotten to a point to where it was profitable and he quit his job to go full time into his company, in addition to this I am not trying to get him back into the industry. I simply want to get him back into the stream of what is going on, we like to bond over these things but it is getting harder because two years ago he just ran out of time to read the news, and so I needed some help on how to get him back into the flow.  

I think that's up to him to decide

If he isn't interested in it anymore and wants to spend his time doing something else, that's his decision

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 hours ago, PotatoDillon said:

I simply want to get him back into the stream of what is going on, we like to bond over these things but it is getting harder because two years ago he just ran out of time to read the news, and so I needed some help on how to get him back into the flow.  

If only there was a tech-infotainment YouTube channel you could show him, that's full of enthusiasts getting excited over the latest consumer electronics.

😉

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:40 AM, Needfuldoer said:

If only there was a tech-infotainment YouTube channel you could show him, that's full of enthusiasts getting excited over the latest consumer electronics.

😉

The only problem is he doesn't want to take the time to do that... I have to find a way to sneak attack him to get him energized... If only there was such a thing.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:49 PM, Moonzy said:

I think that's up to him to decide

If he isn't interested in it anymore and wants to spend his time doing something else, that's his decision

He is interested but he is a workaholic, he just won't quit working. He always tells me "Man I wish I could keep up with these things like you do," and he can. If he would stop working, that is all he knows how to do is work work work.

8 hours ago, PotatoDillon said:

He is interested but he is a workaholic, he just won't quit working. He always tells me "Man I wish I could keep up with these things like you do," and he can. If he would stop working, that is all he knows how to do is work work work.

You said he started up a business, that in itself is a ton of work that most people do not see that never were in that position.
Easing up on that work could likely cause the business to fail.

At the same time you said the reason you want him to get back into the tech side of things is because thats what you guys would do for bonding time.

I understand the importance of this myself as was in a situation that kept me working and away from home for 6 days a week and 14+ hours a day. 
After a talk with my kid who was disappointed that I was too tired to play with them on my day off I took the initiative to find another job that I could afford to support my family and not work so much. It took me nearly a year to find a job but I did and now I have much more time with my kid which I am very happy to have done it.

My questions to you is have you told him the reason you want him to get back into tech?

Have you thought of any other ways for you two to bond?

Sometimes the parent is so busy working their butts off to make ends meet, or to keep things together, we miss the subtle clues.

I suggest  you get him to give you his full attention enough to have a conversation about it, and it doesn't have to be a long one either. 
Just a quick conversation is all it takes some times.

At the same time be prepared to have to find another way to bond with him, but if bonding is the main goal, I'm sure you will find another way.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

20 minutes ago, bondoao1 said:

You said he started up a business, that in itself is a ton of work that most people do not see that never were in that position.
Easing up on that work could likely cause the business to fail.

At the same time you said the reason you want him to get back into the tech side of things is because thats what you guys would do for bonding time.

I understand the importance of this myself as was in a situation that kept me working and away from home for 6 days a week and 14+ hours a day. 
After a talk with my kid who was disappointed that I was too tired to play with them on my day off I took the initiative to find another job that I could afford to support my family and not work so much. It took me nearly a year to find a job but I did and now I have much more time with my kid which I am very happy to have done it.

My questions to you is have you told him the reason you want him to get back into tech?

Have you thought of any other ways for you two to bond?

Sometimes the parent is so busy working their butts off to make ends meet, or to keep things together, we miss the subtle clues.

I suggest  you get him to give you his full attention enough to have a conversation about it, and it doesn't have to be a long one either. 
Just a quick conversation is all it takes some times.

At the same time be prepared to have to find another way to bond with him, but if bonding is the main goal, I'm sure you will find another way.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it very much. We do have other things we bond over, like television shows. And in no way is taking some time from always doing work going to have the business going to have it fail, right now I work there TTF too. I probably am missing subtle clues but the amount we are currently making isn't playing in anyway, (I will not disclose how much he makes a year off of it all I am going to say is it is extremely profitable right now for him)

I have talked to my mother about this issue and she said, "He has never known how to stop working, and nor does his father." 

And our family isn't small either, I have 3 brothers... So I understand I will not get nearly as much time because I am the oldest, I was just trying to ask what kinds of ways I could sneak a little tech news into his busy schedule!

Thanks - Dillon

Just let him be, I wouldn't want someone to force me on to something that I don't want to do. 

Team Blue. http://Intel.com. Disclosure, I work for Intel but my comments and opinions do not represent the opinions of the company.