Why are there no DDR flash drives?

Anthony10

If the question is "why are there no DDR Flash Drives", then we can consider PCI-e 3.0 16x, Thunderbolt, and even battery backupped DIMMs that seat in the DDR3 slot itself.

so backupped DIMMs are using flash (not)... PCIe Cards are not using RAMs as well. So the correct answer would be: 90% of all drives are based on DDR NAND flash. DDR RAM drives are a waste of time though.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

DDR RAM is used for caching purposes until it's written to the FLASH. Additionally things that's read often are cached in it as well. The base still is a NAND-chip.

It's not used to actually store data on it. your argument is invalid. SSDs are used as caching devices for Raids as well. If you don't have SSDs your RAM is actually used for it instead (ZFS is known for using this to an extreme). Those drives change nothing, you just got a cache that's larger than the 64MB/128MB that's on drives usually and happens to be made of DDR RAM) Actually i found more than just 1 HDD that's cache is based on DDR RAM. As long as the data itself is not stored to DDR RAM your arguments will stay invalid. If you prove the existence though i will bow to you and ask for forgiveness.

My builds:

DDR RAM is used for caching purposes until it's written to the FLASH. Additionally things that's read often are cached in it as well. The base still is a NAND-chip.

It's not used to actually store data on it. your argument is invalid. SSDs are used as caching devices for Raids as well. If you don't have SSDs your RAM is actually used for it instead (ZFS is known for using this to an extreme). Those drives change nothing, you just got a cache that's larger than the 64MB/128MB that's on drives usually and happens to be made of DDR RAM) Actually i found more than just 1 HDD that's cache is based on DDR RAM. As long as the data itself is not stored to DDR RAM your arguments will stay invalid. If you prove the existence though i will bow to you and ask for forgiveness.

http://www.agigatech.com/agigaram.php

This is storage. The NAND flash only there as a failsafe. It's meant for servers, which never shut down in normal operation.

OK i have to admit i was wrong to a certain degree. Since the DDR still transfers it's content to the flash that should show you why it's not practicable to use DDR as an USB stick. Still, i promised, *bow*, no apology though since it's not an entire DDR RAM device and long term storage is based on NAND FLASH

My builds:

OK i have to admit i was wrong to a certain degree. Since the DDR still transfers it's content to the flash that should show you why it's not practicable to use DDR as an USB stick. Still, i promised, *bow*, no apology though since it's not an entire DDR RAM device and long term storage is based on NAND FLASH

Some servers can go months without losing power. And no, the NAND it uses isn't "long-term". It's only for backup when power fails. And then it's immediately restored to the RAM. It'd be like calling a UPS a "long-term" power supply.

FYI, just to finally answer OPs topic :P

Yes, there are DDR flash drives.

But those flash drives don't use DDR DRAM, but DDR NAND :)

(toshiba and samsung are using toggle ddr interface for nand).

So there you go :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

FYI, just to finally answer OPs topic :P

Yes, there are DDR flash drives.

But those flash drives don't use DDR DRAM, but DDR NAND :)

(toshiba and samsung are using toggle ddr interface for nand).

So there you go :)

I's "Toggle NAND", not "DDR NAND".

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian