Intel i225-v or RTL 8125?

Paul17

I know that the newer Intel i225-v chips were apparently an issue - in many motherboards or there were accusations/reports as such.   Realtek RTL 8125 - had fewer complaints - but, some issues were reported.

I haven't read any posts her on either being an issue - most of the posts were last year (2021).   So, is it okay to pick either NIC/network lan card? 

The two motherboards I am considering/comparing - one has the Intel and one has the Realtek.   The Intel NIC motherboard has better/more features - MSI Pro Z690-A wifi DDR4 - the odd internet connections/speed complaints - but, it's difficult to evaluate whether it's just 'on their end' or if it could be hardware.   The Realtek RTL8125 issues - not that many but there are the odd customers who say 'I should have bought an Intel NIC motherboard!'

I know whatever problem can be solved with buying an aftermarket NIC PCIe card - but, I would like to avoid that if possible.   I am not sure if I am even getting one of these motherboards - and the B660m motherboards don't have many expansion options.   Besides, I didn't want a further expense.   The other part of this - is most of the pcie nic lan cards are not 2.5.   I might as well stick to that.   I think some of the solutions to the lan nic problems, too, is to force the card/drivers to use a lesser speed (1Gb/s).   That's not really a solution per se, right?

(Note:  I know most ISP connection profiles don't offer the 2.5Gb/s potential anyway - but, we are paying for a 2.5Gb/s motherboard....)  🙂 

11 hours ago, Paul17 said:

I know that the newer Intel i225-v chips were apparently an issue - in many motherboards or there were accusations/reports as such.   Realtek RTL 8125 - had fewer complaints - but, some issues were reported.

I haven't read any posts her on either being an issue - most of the posts were last year (2021).   So, is it okay to pick either NIC/network lan card? 

The two motherboards I am considering/comparing - one has the Intel and one has the Realtek.   The Intel NIC motherboard has better/more features - MSI Pro Z690-A wifi DDR4 - the odd internet connections/speed complaints - but, it's difficult to evaluate whether it's just 'on their end' or if it could be hardware.   The Realtek RTL8125 issues - not that many but there are the odd customers who say 'I should have bought an Intel NIC motherboard!'

I know whatever problem can be solved with buying an aftermarket NIC PCIe card - but, I would like to avoid that if possible.   I am not sure if I am even getting one of these motherboards - and the B660m motherboards don't have many expansion options.   Besides, I didn't want a further expense.   The other part of this - is most of the pcie nic lan cards are not 2.5.   I might as well stick to that.   I think some of the solutions to the lan nic problems, too, is to force the card/drivers to use a lesser speed (1Gb/s).   That's not really a solution per se, right?

(Note:  I know most ISP connection profiles don't offer the 2.5Gb/s potential anyway - but, we are paying for a 2.5Gb/s motherboard....)  🙂 

As long as its a B3 revision of the i225-V it should be infinitely better than the RTL 8125.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7