Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB for boot drive

Memorizer

Hello, it would be my first time to have an SSD, let alone NVMe M.2 (but i have experienced building PCs for my relatives with M.2 SSDs) and i have a couple of questions:

1. Would Samsung 970 Evo Plus be compatible with my current setup?
  2. Is 250GB enough for a boot drive and storage for some games and files
  3. What are your other recommendations for an NVMe M.2 SSD within ~$60? (I have read the SSD Tier list)

PC Specs:

Mobo: MSI B450M Mortar Max

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Toshiba 1TB HDD

Your responses are very much appreciated. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

1. Yes

2. Not really a AAA game would take up 3/4th of the space

3. Yeah the 500gb version is 60$ normally

i rarely play AAA games so i think i'm good! thank you so much!

30 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

i rarely play AAA games so i think i'm good! thank you so much!

Still just get the 500gb drive 250gb is filled by about 40-60gb of just windows. That and the 500gb drive is 10$ more for DOUBLE the capacity.

12 hours ago, jaslion said:

Still just get the 500gb drive 250gb is filled by about 40-60gb of just windows. That and the 500gb drive is 10$ more for DOUBLE the capacity.

unfortunately, the 500GB one costs about $20 more in my country. but i will try to find somewhere that sells it cheaper

15 hours ago, Memorizer said:

Hello, it would be my first time to have an SSD, let alone NVMe M.2 (but i have experienced building PCs for my relatives with M.2 SSDs) and i have a couple of questions:

1. Would Samsung 970 Evo Plus be compatible with my current setup?
  2. Is 250GB enough for a boot drive and storage for some games and files
  3. What are your other recommendations for an NVMe M.2 SSD within ~$60? (I have read the SSD Tier list)

PC Specs:

Mobo: MSI B450M Mortar Max

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Toshiba 1TB HDD

Your responses are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, it's compatible. I have a B450 board too with a 970 Evo Plus.

250GB is good for your most important programs and files, but not for games. For games it will be full too quickly, unless you play small and old games.

I recommend you to get a budget 500GB instead, those are usually around $60:

1. Samsung 980 (if on sale)
  2. Kingston A2000 (less available now)
  3. WD Blue SN550 (great all around)
  4. PNY XLR8 CS3030 (sometimes on sale)
  5. Crucial P1 or P2 (a bit older, but great drives)
  6. Intel 660P (cheapest, but it's QLC)

Do you really need NVMe? If not, you can also just buy a 2.5" SATA SSD with 500GB. It's cheaper and just as good and fast as NVMe drives. Of course NVMe drives are faster on paper. You barely notice speed and time differences, unless you would really benchmark it and count the milliseconds.

2 hours ago, FRD said:

Do you really need NVMe? If not, you can also just buy a 2.5" SATA SSD with 500GB. It's cheaper and just as good and fast as NVMe drives. Of course NVMe drives are faster on paper. You barely notice speed and time differences, unless you would really benchmark it and count the milliseconds.

I generally would like a reliable and quick boot drive and i like the M.2 form factor just because it's easier to install imo (since i only need 1 screw instead of having to search my boxes for compatible screws to install a 2.5" SSD)

18 hours ago, Memorizer said:

I generally would like a reliable and quick boot drive and i like the M.2 form factor just because it's easier to install imo (since i only need 1 screw instead of having to search my boxes for compatible screws to install a 2.5" SSD)

It's your choice, of course. M.2 is easier to install and takes less space and no cables.

For SATA the Samsung 860/870 and Crucial MX500 are really reliable, but m.2 has the ease of use, you just pay a bit extra for the form factor.